Minnesota Babies

Natural Delivery

AClyde81AClyde81 member
edited November 2014 in Minnesota Babies
My name is Amanda. I'm looking for like minded moms on here. I feel like the labor and delivery process has turned into a "sickness" that needs medical attention instead of us moms educating ourselves and trusting our bodies to do what women have been doing since the start of time. I'm delivering at Morningstar Birth Center. My first child was with a midwife at the mother baby center. I loved my delivery but i feel that the hospital environment just isn't me.
Anyone else feel this way?

Re: Natural Delivery

• I totally feel this way! Unfortunately with my insurance options a home birth is not an option. I'm going to the Mother Baby Center which is more "hospitaly" than I would like but it seems more mom friendly. Health Foundations on Grand Avenue seems like it would be great. The rooms feel like hotel rooms and their goal is to be like a home birth. Once again, we aren't going there because I can't get a clear answer about my insurance and paying out of pocket is not an option. It's worth checking out! I am practicing my hypno birthing and making sure my husband will stand up for me when it's time.
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • AClyde81AClyde81 member
    edited November 2014
    Morningstar birth center takes most insurance companies (and they have 3 birthing rooms with tubs). they didn't in 2012 with my first. I too delivered at the mother baby center (well what would be a few months after my daughter was born) my nurse was awesome, she choose to stay past her shift to see me through the pushing. She said that she doesn't get to see a natural delivery very often.
    I went with North metro midwives in Plymouth and they deliver at the mother baby center. They were awesome too. It is possible to have a natural delivery in a hospital. We had a 1 page birth plan with our desires. We had a plan b birth plan hidden in our bag that my hubby would pull out in an emergency.
    We also took Bradley classes. I loved them! We learned a lot and it really prepared us for our labor and delivery!
  • Loading the player...
  • AClyde81AClyde81 member
    edited November 2014
    Oh and they let me eat! I had that in my birth plan ;) I didn't want to run out of energy in case I had a long labor.
  • I considered using a birth center with our second, but I labored quickly with my first and felt that going with the closest hospital to me was a safer option.  I was at the hospital for 40 min before I delivered my second and would have run the risk of delivering in our car on the way had we chosen one of the birth centers!  I used a MW group for both and was able to have a water birth with no meds or medical intervention for my second (my first was unmedicated, but required a vacuum assist).  Both hospitals that I've delivered at have been very supportive of my birth plans and did not require or push unnecessary medical intervention- everything both times was up to me and my MW.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm planning on health foundations for our baby because the midwives are awesome, they take my iinsurance, and they'll do vbacs. My first was a section because he was breech, the next two were vbacs. I'm so excited to be in labor! Just seven weeks till my guess date, but completely agree that pregnancy isn't a disease.
  • I'm trying to decide between Woodwinds and St. Joseph's (this is my first!). The HealthEast midwives deliver at both, but I think Woodwinds has more birthing tubs. I'm currently leaning more toward St. Joe's because their nursing staff is said to be phenomenal and they have more resources for if Baby is born with complications. Also, Children's is right across the street. I think Woodwinds gives you more of a "spa" experience, but I definitely want a safety net just in case!

image BabyFruit Ticker

Married 10-15-2011
    BFP 10-30-2014
    Baby's due 7-08-2015

• I used U of MN Women's Health Specialits and delivered at the Birth Place at Fairview Riverside. I used midwives and they were supportive of natural birth. I delivered drug free and had a great experience there. It was nice because they had access to Doctors if needed- and they were needed in my case, I wasn't 'high risk' but had some pre-e signs; I'm pretty sure a birthing center would not have taken mre because I was more higher risk.
  • Pp, I delivered at woodwinds and it was a FENOMINAL experience. The only drawback is I needed the NICU and it wasnt there so he was bussed to st Joe's which is also amazing. This time were going to riverside.
  • kkaew816 said:

I used U of MN Women's Health Specialits and delivered at the Birth Place at Fairview Riverside. I used midwives and they were supportive of natural birth. I delivered drug free and had a great experience there. It was nice because they had access to Doctors if needed- and they were needed in my case, I wasn't 'high risk' but had some pre-e signs; I'm pretty sure a birthing center would not have taken mre because I was more higher risk.

Any chance you'll be at the Dec brunch? I also have some pre-e signs but would really like to try a natural birth. It would be nice to chat with someone about it.
  • kkaew816 said:

I used U of MN Women's Health Specialits and delivered at the Birth Place at Fairview Riverside. I used midwives and they were supportive of natural birth. I delivered drug free and had a great experience there. It was nice because they had access to Doctors if needed- and they were needed in my case, I wasn't 'high risk' but had some pre-e signs; I'm pretty sure a birthing center would not have taken mre because I was more higher risk.

Any chance you'll be at the Dec brunch? I also have some pre-e signs but would really like to try a natural birth. It would be nice to chat with someone about it.
    @TwinsCitiesMomma‌ yes I'm planning on it!
  • I totally agree that today's medical system has *in most cases* made the birth process worse, not better. I toured Woodwinds and while it is beautiful, it still felt like a hospital. I just couldn't shake the feeling that hospitals are for sick people and I wasn't sick! So last March I delivered at Health Foundations Birth Center and it was an amazing, perfect, natural experience. It went so well I may even have the courage to do a home birth when round 2 comes along! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"