August 2013 Moms

Big boy bed ?

I'm die in May with baby #2. The problem is our first will only be 20 months old. So do we buy another crib? Move him to a twin?? When are you ladies planning on moving your LO?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Big boy bed ?

• We are moving LO to a toddler bed after Christmas.  She will be 16 months.  She's not climbing out of the crib or anything, but just feel like its time.  She'll be getting the bed and bedding set for Christmas.  
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Buy another crib. Once they have free roam, it's a game changer.

• Loading the player...
  • That's what I'm thinking @carrotcake06‌ . Lord a toddler loose in the house at night :-S but buying another crib is gonna suck lol

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @soofttie‌ just get a "regular" crib - it doesn't have to be a fancy, expensive one. IKEA has really reasonable ones.

However, if you do go toddler bed, please make sure all furniture is bolted to the wall. Toddlers can tip dressers and bookshelves, etc and being crushed is a real concern (I don't mean to be morbid, but there are some very sad stories out there).

• If it were me, I'd try to find a cheap crib. At that age, they don't really have the self control to stay in the bed.. And that really does open up a whole new can of worms. If your kid is sleeping well in the crib, I would hesitate to change it!
  • I think it depends on the kid. DD1 was- and is- so tentative that if she even had the guts to climb out of her bed the only place she'd consider going was to my room. (This is still the case.) DD2 would take that freedom and rip apart the house. 

DD1 was just over two when we converted her crib to a toddler bed, so at 20 months I'd probably give a bed a shot before buying another crib. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it depends on the kid. DD1 was- and is- so tentative that if she even had the guts to climb out of her bed the only place she'd consider going was to my room. (This is still the case.) DD2 would take that freedom and rip apart the house. 

DD1 was just over two when we converted her crib to a toddler bed, so at 20 months I'd probably give a bed a shot before buying another crib. 
    Haha this is true of my two as well. DS1 is the same way - he will rarely leave his room on his own accord and stayed in his bed for months before he figured out he could get out of there himself. The other one will be much more of a daredevil I think. Interesting how different they can be!
  • We're actually getting ready to take the plunge. Ezra doesn't sleep well in his crib but sleeps great on our bed, with or without us. We just ordered a king size mattress so when it comes in, we're going to try putting our current mattress on the floor in his room and adding a baby gate so he doesn't have free range of the entire house. His room is baby proofed to the extreme and is literally 5 steps from our room, so...we'll see.
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • I'm due in March and we'll be buying another crib. But I'll add that DD's crib converts to a toddler bed, and eventually a twin bed so it's hers for the next decade or so anyway. Even if it didn't covert though I wouldn't feel comfortable with her in a toddler bed because sometimes she moves around a lot in the night and she could easily roll off the bed and hurt herself. Plus, she'd get herself out of bed and get into mischief.

My advice would be to find an inexpensive crib, or maybe even use a pack and play until you feel sure you're comfortable with your oldest in a bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"