International Bumpies

long haul with toddler! Any help?

I'm traveling in December with my 17 month old son and husband from sydney to nyc. We did this flight last year but he was 6 months old.

I'm gearing up the iPad with cartoons, got some new books and assume there will be lots of walking up and down the aisle.

My biggest concern is the jet lag. It was horrendous last time.

Anyone want to share jet lag or flying tips with toddlers on the long haul?

Thanks so much!!!

Re: long haul with toddler! Any help?

• You're doing exactly what I would for flying so not many tips there, flying with DD at almost 2 was EXHAUSTING and I was fondly reminiscing on all the times we flew with her (US to europe and back) when she was under 1.

As for jetlag, we never had issues. It takes about 48hrs to adjust and then they fall bacm on their normal body rhythm, seems like. Yeah rhe first couple if nights and days suck big time, but i find those big adjustments a lot easier than adjusting after a 1hr daylight savings change! Their body is so exhausted and wiped out, it basically resets itself! When you arrive try to continue the day as you normally would back in your own time zone, so if you land at night, let them go to sleep, then wake first thing am. If during the day, nap and wake to play. And go from there.
  • Thanks @harmonicbabe26‌. The last time my lo was unsettled for 1 week and I actually had to sleep train. It was a nightmare. I'm hoping that part will be easier now. I'm told it gets a little easier when they get a bit older too. So very nervous!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi. I'm late on this as I keep forgetting about this board! We flew from Edinburgh to China when LO was 18 months and have flown back and forth to the states several times. Ipads are great but we actually had much more luck with stickers and crayons. The triangular crayons are a fantastic invention. Also, the best toy ever for travelling was this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IV8D/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007LQGUK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0E01P264F1MKZKW5PREW

No idea why, but LO LOVED it. Hours of fun. She has a limited interest in TV though so if you've had more luck having your LO watch movies or anything that is a great option.

For jet lag - we have been lucky so far and only had 1 horrific experience. Usually it's just a day or 2 of unsettled sleep and then back to normal. I recommend having LO outside as much as possible for the first couple days and feed them on the new schedule and hopefully you'll have an easier time this time around.

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • Oh - and I'd found this list online before we travelled and it was great. Some activities are for older kids but a bunch of great ideas (like the shape sorter)

https://www.playingwithwords365.com/2012/07/50-ways-to-keep-your-toddler-or-preschooler-busy-on-a-plane-or-elsewhere/
    TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"