March 2015 Moms
Options

Problem with 20 week ultrasound - any ideas?

At 20 weeks, I had an ultrasound that indicated that my baby does not yet have a nasal bone. In addition, she is measuring at least one week small. (I know that I am 20 weeks because I conceived through IVF. Nothing else looks suspicious on the ultrasound.

I have read a lot about technician error with respect to these two issues but I have go to a top hospital in Boston and 4 different doctors did an ultrasound on two different days with the same result. I don't think this is an error.

My Dr. recommended I proceed with amnio as no nasal bone is a medium to strong marker for Down Syndrome. The rapid results came back and indicated that the issue is not Down Syndrome. I am now waiting for the full karotype results. 

Does anyone have any thoughts about other genetic conditions or other problems that this data might suggest? I can't find anything online. Thank you in advance for any thoughts! It helps me to prepare for all possibilities and right now I don't even know what those could be. The waiting is so hard.

Re: Problem with 20 week ultrasound - any ideas?

• Options
    I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you! It's so scary to hear something might be wrong.
    TTC #1 June 2010
    1/3/11 S/A - Count 45; Motility 32; Morph 4.3 - 2/10/11 - S/A Count 17mil; Motility 39; Morph 7.9
    1/5/11 Femara Cycle #1 = BFN  2/4/11 Femara Cycle #2 = BFP: 3/4/11 - Starting Progesterone suppositories 
    Beta#1 15DPO = 108; Beta#2 17DPO = 179; Beta#3 18DPO = 259; Beta 4# 20DPO =659!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    TTC#2 Pulled goalie 5/12, PPAF 3/13, BFP 6/27 Beta 15DPO=248! 
    Dx Severe Hydrocephalus and severe Dandy Walker Cyst.   Stillborn 10/19/13
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    TTC#3 - (No preventing, TTC+progesterone starting 12/13)
    4/7/14 CD3 BW - FSH 5.6; AMH 0.469 - 4/11/14 S/A Count 35, Motility 47, Morph 1.5
    4/16/14 - Cycle 6 - Natural IUI - Beta 12DPIUI = 3; Beta 13DPIUI=4.  15DPIUI=6. 17DPIU=4. Chemical Pregnancy  
    TTC #4
    5/5/14 Dx MTHFR homozygous A1298C, Benched 1 cycle HSG 5/14 both tubes open w/scarring on the left   
    5/28/14 Starting clomid 6/8/14 IUI #2 1 dominant follicle 31mm Beta 11DPIUI =4, 15DPIUI = 74, 17DPIUI = 165 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    No experience. I am sorry you are going through this. Best of luck with future tests.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry you're going through this stress -- hopefully it's nothing serious. Keep us posted! You're in my thoughts.
  • Options
    No experience or advice but you are in my thoughts & prayers. Hope everything turns okay.

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any experience, but you & LO are in my thoughts.
  • Options
    I would wait and see what possible prognoses the doctors come up with. They know best what this is an indicator for, and any guesses we can come by via doctor Google or personal experiences might not speak to what you are going through. I'm so sorry you're going through the fear of the unknown and hope that all is well with your LO.
  • Options

I have no experience but I wanted to say I'm so sorry youre going through this. We'll be thinking of you and baby, keep us updated!

• Options
    I was looking for 20 week ultrasounds on Google (to compare mine to. I might be crazy) and I happened to come across several reasons why the nasal bone could be absent. I think it's probably best not to give you ammunition to let your brain run wild with all of the things that could be wrong though.

I had a loss at a few days shy of 20 weeks and it's not a fun place to sit and wonder about all the things that could be wrong or to compare your ultrasound photos to those on Google that are deemed normal.

I know it's easier said than done but I would suggest that at this point you sit back and wait for all of your screening results and try as hard as you can to not allow yourself to worry. All you can do at this point is scare yourself.

I hope you get great test results. I'm very sorry you are facing this uncertainty.
  • Options
    Sorry you are going through this. I hope you get answers very soon and that all is well with your baby.
  • Options
    Sending positive vibes your way and lots of prayers. Hoping everything turns out ok for you and LO

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Agree 100% with the advice you've received. Please try not to worry and I hope you get good news.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"