Stay at Home Moms
Options

Kid book recs...something different!

Spin313Spin313 member
edited October 2014 in Stay at Home Moms
Hey all, I am looking for picture book recommendations for a four year old that are NOT the usual recs...maybe one-off books that you enjoy or lesser know stories that I might not be familiar with.

I am NOT looking for suggestions like Curious George, Clifford, Berenstein Bears, Pout Pout Fish, Llama Llama, Mo Willems, Dr. Seuss, etc.

Re: Kid book recs...something different!

• Options
    I like Sandra Boynton and Robert Munch.
  • Options
    My DS loves the Charlie and Lola books by Lauren Child. Charlie is the big brother and Lola is his super imaginative little sister. They are British and very cute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The Monster at The End of This Book- Enjoyment may depend on how committed to character you are while reading out loud.
    Press Here by Herve Tullet- Very interactive!

C 1/25/09
    H 2/8/14

• Options
    Good-night Construction Site
    Where's My Hat
    The Pokey Little Puppy
    Good-night Goon (A Halloween spin-off of Good-night Moon)
    Winney the Witch
    How Do Dinosaurs... series
    No, David
    The Foolish Tortoise
    Bad Kitty
    Boogie Knights
    Splish, Splash, Splat (and ALL Splat books!)

Most of these are hardcover books that were E's but D LOVES them and as long as I read them, I can protect the pages. :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options

I second Charlie & Lola! Never heard of them (I guess it is/was a show?) until we happened to get one of the books from the library.

We like this super retro book called "Alexander," but not sure if you can get it.  

Cute little book called "Thankful Together". Has some "Thank you, God," language and a little cute prayer but it's not really overly religious. My kids like it.

When the World is Ready for Bed (cute bedtime book with bunnies getting ready for bed. Not too long; relaxing).

Retro again: Flicka, Ricka & Dicka books & also Snipp Snapp Snurr books by Maj Lindner

L,M, N, O Peas

Recently got from library and loved "Bats at the Beach." Author has others in the same vein.

Also for winter the "Snowmen at..." series (i.e. Snowmen at Night)

More Retro (I guess we read a lot o older classics!!): Madeline, Blueberries for Sal (and others by McCloskey), The Little House and others by Virginia Lee Burton, Frances the Badger (but some language is a little old fashioned and I update it).

Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate CAke

My Name is Not Isabella is neat, especially for little girls.

I'm sure you know of Fancy Nancy, Olivia, and the original Pinkalicious, too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Library Mouse
    Brave Irene
    Goodnight goodnight construction site
    Ten gallon Bart
    Toot toot zoom
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site & Steam Train Dream Train
    Snowmen at Night or the other 3 books in the series
    Pete The Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
    Click Clack Moo
  • Options
    How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Options
    I second Click Clack Moo, Gossie, The Monster at the End of This Book, and the Olivia series. And I'll add Frog and Toad books, I Spy the Sun in the Sky, anything by Mercer Meyer, and Being a Pig is Nice. I'm sure I'll think of a few more when I'm not so tired...
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    sschwege said:

Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site & Steam Train Dream Train
    Snowmen at Night or the other 3 books in the series
    Pete The Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
    Click Clack Moo

Pete the cat!! Yes. I love all of those books.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DD Loves us to read the Never Girls Series.  Another favorite of hers is Duck on a Bike.
    Husband and Wife 2010
    DD 12.2010
    TTC #2 Since Aug 2012
    DX PCOS 7.25.13
    Started Metformin 7.2013
    DH SA results 6.19.14 - Too few normal sperm
    8.13.14 - SURPRISE BFP - EDD 3/30/14 Based on LMP
    MMC 9/24/14, D&C 9/25/14 13w3d, Measured at 7w4d

3.14.15 BFP #3 - EDD 11/11/15 based on LMP
  • Options
    I just fell in love with the animated version of Room on the Broom.  So I've requested that book and The Gruffalo's Child from the library.  They're by Julia Donaldson so look at these or some of her other books.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"