September 2014 Moms
Options

Pacifier question...

LO is EBF and has had bottles here and there with no issues. I feel like she would benefit from a pacifier when I go back to work because she uses me as one quite a lot. I just tried to give one to her and she seems so confused by it. She spits it out but then fusses and sucks on her hands. I'm not sure if she hates it, needs a different brand, or if it just takes time to learn how to use. Did your LO take to a pacifier right away or did they have to learn to keep it in their mouth?

Re: Pacifier question...

• Options
    I'm still trying to get mine to use one... He'll take a bottle but not a pacifier. I have tried several brands.
  • Options
    I have to hold it for a few seconds while she really latches onto it and she can't keep it in that long.

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It took my DD three weeks to be able to take one. She still doesn't all the time, but at least she will some of the time. That will help her Daddy out immensely when I go back to work. Whenever she wants to use me as a pacifier, I give her that first. It's tricky though, and your LO may need to do this too. Hold the pacifier where the edge is touching the lip and tongue. That's the only way my DD will take it. When you do that with her, she sucks it in herself. Just barely put it in there and see what happens. I'll take a picture of it later after she wakes to show you.
  • Options
    My LO still doesn't always take hers. We have to help her hold it in at first but then she normal keeps it unless she's really tired then we hold it for her. If we don't she screams until she takes it back. We use soothies and since I bought her a Wubbanub it has helped.
  • Options
    We also tried several brands before found that LO likes the Mam brand.
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So...I just tried the Tommee Tippee brand because our bottles came with one and she took it right away and started sucking on it without issue. I guess she just didn't like the other brand!
  • Options
    With DS it took awhile. We just kept trying and tried different brands. One day he took one and has loved having one ever since. It's been a lifesaver. He was using me as a paci too. Which I knew wouldn't be good when I go back to work.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have used several kinds but my LO really likes jollypop brand (jollypop.com)They used it on him for an echo and he kept it in his mouth until he fell asleep.
  • Options
    The mam newborns are the best. She loves her b inky and it saves my breasts!
  • Options
    For DD she wouldn't take any brand except MAM. She couldn't hold them in her mouth. So I didn't even buy any other brand, I gave DS MAM pacifiers in the hospital and threw away those blue ones.
  • Options
    My son only likes the soothie and gumdrop paci's. You have to hold until they get a good latch, the other brand he just spits out haha.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    <: center;">Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I have to hold it for a few seconds while she really latches onto it and she can't keep it in that long.

We are the same - I hold it in his mouth for a bit till he takes it and then he usually spits it out after 30 seconds. Ours likes the natural rubber ones best.
  • Options
    I wish my lo would take one. She did start sucking on her hand. Whatever makes her happy although it'll be more difficult to break that habit

• Options
    Mine started choking when I tried I thought she was going to die!
  • Options
    My son is ebf also, it took him a few days to finally take a paci. But I'm so glad he does! It started with the wubbanub kind (with a giant lamb on the end lol) but now he takes avent. He still spits them out sometimes and it takes a couple minutes for him
    To decide he likes it but eventually it works
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"