Multiples

Similar or different nap schedules?

Some days when the stars magically align, they will take naps at the same time. But most of the time not.

Morning naps are usually around the same time. But the length of those naps are different (DS is short and DD is longer). So then the rest of the day, naps happen sooner for DS than for DD. And DS's are consistently shorter.

I don't know if this is just the way it is. They're 2 different babies with different habits. I just feel like I never get a break. I'm with one or both all day every day.

Not to harp on the "one would be so much easier" thing, but I would kill to get some quiet time regularly every day during naps!

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

Re: Similar or different nap schedules?

• Thanks for posting this, I've been wondering about how my twins will be once born (sleep schedules)
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • I've found there is no consistency w napping until 6-8mo. After that, it's a pretty set two-nap schedule. The transition to one nap happens over a much wider range during the early toddler months (except if you're my oldest who was down to one nap by 9mo).

In the early months, I focus more on consistent eating (while of course doing on-demand feeds) and found that if I fed them at the same time, they would also sleep at the same time.

• Loading the player...
  • My first night away from the girls for a work trip (they were 5 1/2 mo) my husband got them on a nap schedule of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.  (I am a softie/don't like when they cry.)  Up until then it was hit or miss...normally miss and evenings were spent with at least one baby having a meltdown because she didn't get enough rest that day.  I find my girls can maintain their nap schedule if they are at home.  When I bring them into work with me, it is a mess.  They associate cribs with sleep now.  One of the girls will always sleep less.  But, we shoot for a 10 a.m. nap everyday after a 9 or 9:30 a.m. feeding.  Sometimes they put up more of a fight.  Now that they are knocking on the 6 month old door, I will let them fuss for 15 minutes.  I can ready their cues and know that they are only fussing because they are tired.  But they will usually sleep for 45 minutes - 1.5 hour.  Afternoon naps can happen anytime from 2 - 3 p.m. depending upon their afternoon bottle.  Those are longer and last from 1.5 - 2 hours.  Do you have a normal night/bed time schedule?  Having that established was the first step in getting the naps established.  Also, from 4-5.5 months they were likely going through sleep regression/ and this affected their nap schedule.  And by affected their nap schedule I mean their was no semblance of a nap schedule at all...and I felt the same as you.  I needed a break.  Hang in there!

• I could not get their nap schedules in synch until about 6-7 months.  The first 6 months were a real crap shoot for naps.  My girls usually would take four 30-minute naps a day.  It sucked.  Unless they just happened to fall asleep at exactly the same minute, there was hardly ever any overlap in their naps.  They also were terrible sleepers at night - up every 2 hours (not the same 2 hours ugh).  It was a really brutal period.

Around 6 months we did some sleep training and they started sleeping better at night and their naps got much better during the day.  They started taking 2  1-hour naps instead of their short cat-naps. That was about the time we started one-up-both-up.  Whoever woke up first in the morning, we'd all get up.  Then I'd keep them both awake until they both seemed really tired.  Usually one would get tired first and I would just keep her going until I saw the other one was ready and then I put them down for naps.  Then again, whenever the first one woke up, I'd wake the other.  This worked decently up until recently (12 mo).  I think now, one girl is ready to transition to 1 long nap per day but my other isn't ready yet, so we're having some trouble again.  I'm hoping it will sort itself out in the next couple months.

image4months_2radioflyer
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mine always napped at the same times (approximately). But someone's N takes a lot longer to settle for nap than M and so they get off a bit there. Nap time is so sacred, I totally get your frustration!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"