December 2013 Moms
Options

Teachers come in please

So I have DD conference tommorrow. is there a nice way I can "complain" about the amount of homework? she is in kindy and each week we have: 8 worksheets, handwriting practice, reading every night, flashcards, 2 assignments on a math website and 2 assignments on a reading website. I feel like this is way too much for her to do. we have been doing the worksheets and trying to do the other stuff. I dont want to be a trouble maker but I also feel like this is crazy. 

is there a nice way I ask about it? or do I just STFU and do it? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teachers come in please

• Options
    Not a teacher, but omg that's a lot of homework for a kindergartener.  My 3 year olds come home from daycare with a "homework" worksheet once a week right now and we can barely get that done.  I can't imagine what it's going to be like once we have real homework for school.  :\

maybe you could casually mention how it seems like a lot of homework for this age and see what they say?  I'm terrible at 'confrontation' though.  Sorry I'm not much help.
  • Options
    I would tell the teacher your daughter is getting overwhelmed with the homework and it taking x minutes to complete ..... And if that is how long the teacher thought it should take to do.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That sounds like way too much. My MIL is a kind. teacher and she complains about the worksheet activities the state is trying to get them to send home and do. She said she tries to do as much of them in class so that they arent sent home for the parents to deal with. But she says some of them she just skips over because it is too much! I would probably not go in "complaining" but just try and have a conversation about if any other parents have come to the teacher w/ concerns on the amount.
  • Options
    That seems like a lot. DS will be in kinder next year and I hope we don't have that much homework. I would just ask if that is a normal amount of homework and see if she can do it during class so she isn't bringing it home.
  • Options
    I feel that is way to much homework. When my oldest two were in kindy homework took us no more than 20mins per night to complete if we even had homework. My 3rd grader does not even bring home that much homework. I would defiantly say something. For a child that age I would say reading 10mins at night and maybe a worksheet that takes 5 to 10 mins or a stack sent home on Monday that is due on Friday. My 3rd grader brings home everything on Monday and its due Friday morning it works well. 
  • Options
    As a teacher we are taught that attention span = age plus 1. Kindergarten should not have that much. It's crazy!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I taught K. I never sent them home with that much. Generally a letter or number "book" corresponding to the letter or number we worked on that day. I say book but really it was a few pages of "a is for Apple, a is for alligator" type thing with matching pictures an d then they practiced printing it on the last page. 5-10 minutes tops.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It seems excessive. Ask about your district's homework policy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JRT512JRT512 member
    edited October 2014
    Definitely seems excessive. Have you talked to any other moms/dads in the class or whose children are in a different K class? Research does not support giving that much homework. I hope the conference goes well!
  • Options
    Teacher here. That's way too much. We give 10 minutes per grade. So in 2nd 20-30 minutes. Math and spelling or grammar nightly and reading every night for 30 minutes. The websites seem silly. What about the kids without web access?
  • Options
    @lrachelle80 it is a public school. if we like the school and are happy with the education our plan is to stay in the school. The teacher has been teaching for 25 years. she said the district is making them teach what used to be grade 1 work now in kindy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"