July 2014 Moms
Options

Hemangioma treated with Propranolol + some T's & P's ***UPDATED 11/11 w. picture***

edited November 2014 in July 2014 Moms
Ugh. So DD has had a hemangioma growing on her back, left shoulder. Started out as a little red mark, grew to a strawberry and now it's about the size of a golfball -possibly bigger and completely raised. Finally had our pediatric dermatology appointment today that we had to wait 2 months to be seen. Well, now the hemangioma has black patches which is indicating that the "tumor" (what they call them, non-cancerous) is restricting blood flow to the skin and could cause it to break open/burst. The doctor is recommending actually doing treatment, which usually they just leave it alone but due to the possibility of it bursting, she wants DD to be on Propranolol which is actually a heart medication. Propranolol has been approved for use to treat hemangiomas since 2008 but DD has to be cleared by a cardiologist to ensure there are no underlying heart issues. She would have to be on the medication for a year and it's given orally. The medication apparently restricts blood flow to the site of the hemangioma causing it to shrink.

I am freaking out. She is 13 weeks and I can't believe they want to put her on heart medication for a year.

I have the appointment with the cardiologist tomorrow, hopefully he will be able to clarify any side effects and how she is monitored.  The only other pediatric derms around are in NYC, so I called to get an emergency 2nd opinion and am waiting to hear back. I'm just hoping they can get us in on Friday so we can see what they say, and if needed start treatment right away. 

The derm today gave us a topical ointment until we get cleared for the oral.

Any T's and P's would be appreciated and even more so, anyone with experience in this situation...

*****UPDATE*****

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! 

Yesterday we took Zoey to the cardiologist, they did an EKG and Ultrasound of her heart, and everything is perfect! (He did say there is some flap that is open but all babies have this and will close eventually, they just don't do ultrasounds on all babies but to come back when she's 2 to double check).

After speaking with the cardiologist we feel way more comfortable proceeding with the treatment plan. The Dr. explained to us that they have treated over 100 babies with this medication and have stopped counting, and they have yet to see any babies experience any of the sides effects. One of the concerning side effects I read about was a lower heart rate and he explained that if she did get a lower heart rate, let's say her normal rate is 153bpm then it might drop to 151bpm, which would be in the normal range, it just might drop a little - which I was imagining a more significant drop. She will have to take the oral medication 2x a day and we have to feed her immediately after to stabilize her sugar but we would not have to wake her during the night to feed (which was another concern since she's STTN). The Dr. said there was no reason for her not to take the medication and that she would strongly benefit from it due to the size of the hemangioma. 

He also told us that it will prevent the hemangioma from growing and we could see it reduce in size as early as 2 weeks. She will need to be on it most like for 9-12 months to make sure we get through the growth phase of the hemangioma. On Monday we go in for her first dose of the medication and we will be monitored for 2hrs to make sure she doesn't have a reaction and to check her BP. 

I'm still a little scared but a lot more confident that we are making the right choice for her, I'm so afraid of this ulcerating and causing her extreme pain. 

Before becoming a mother, I could have never imagined the worry that goes along with having a kid. These kind of situations make it even harder to function but I know that others have had to make harder decisions and have dealt with way more trying and impossibly hard times that I'm so very grateful just to have a healthy girl. Her daddy and I keep telling her will we fix this and always take care of her!

Thanks again ladies, for all the support. I'll keep you all updated as her treatment progresses.

I might include a picture of the hemangioma at the end of the posts, I know I've been looking up on the bump and baby center and other people's experiences have been so helpful, perhaps this might help someone in the same boat. 

***UPDATE 11/11***

Zoey has been on the medication for a week now and has done fantastic! Last Monday we went in and had her first dose, they monitored her and had no issues! The dr did say that her hemangioma is starting to open so we have been putting prescription antibiotic ointment on 2x a day with a bandage in addition to her oral meds. We have already noticed a difference in the shape of the red part of the hemangioma! 

Here is a pic that shows prior to meds, 5 day on meds and 7 days. Not much difference between the last two but I plan to continue taking pics to show progress. Thank you all again for your support and kind words!
[ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]

Re: Hemangioma treated with Propranolol + some T's &amp;amp; P's ***UPDATED 11/11 w. picture***

• Options
    I've wanted to say for a while that your sig pic is so cute, I love it!  She is precious!

I don't have any advice or experience, but have seen this topic on the Bump, with good news, so I am hoping it works out for you.  Keep us updated.  Thoughts and prayers to you and your daughter.
  • Options
    Sorry you have to go through this. I hope you can get in for the second opinion and they can give you another option. Thoughts and prayers for your DD
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you get good news and a possible 2nd option. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hope you are able to get in for your second appointment and that everyone can give you more info to put your mind at ease! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this right now! I would be freaking out as well.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness! Thinking of you and LO. Please keep us updated.
  • Options
    :-(  I hate this for you and LO.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. DH and I are trying to keep it together, we know things could be worse. We will have to weigh the pros and cons but i'm sure the medication will help the situation. If it's in DD's best interest we will just have to make a clear plan of monitoring to avoid any side effects. I'll update after our appointment tomorrow.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    Sorry you are going through all of that. I was given propranolol to help with my blood pressure while pregnant and for a couple months after giving birth because it is safe for babies, I was breast feeding so they had to make sure what they gave me was safe for me and baby. Hopefully you will be able to get a second opinion and not have to go with a medicinal treatment!
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh  no!  Huge hugs and prayers for the both of you.  Nothing is worse than the feeling of helplessness for our babies!  I pray that the 2nd opinion produces better results!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Sorry you are going through all of that. I was given propranolol to help with my blood pressure while pregnant and for a couple months after giving birth because it is safe for babies, I was breast feeding so they had to make sure what they gave me was safe for me and baby. Hopefully you will be able to get a second opinion and not have to go with a medicinal treatment!
    That makes me feel a little better knowing it's "safe" for babies through pregnancy and b/f.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    Lurker from Aug 14. My daughter (2 1/2 months) has a hemangioma on her hand. Took me 2 months to convince the pediatrician that that's what it was rather than a port wine stain. It's getting bigger every day. I have a derm appointment next month on the 19th and I'm nervous as hell. Just wanted to sympathize and say I hope all works out for you and your LO.
  • Options
    I hope you can get in for the second opinion even if it's to confirm the treatment plan and give you some ease. Such a stressful time for you. I'm sorry. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    Thinking of you little Marla
  • Options
    mrscurlygurlmrscurlygurl member
    edited October 2014
    Thinking of y'all!

image image
  • Options
    Hugs to you guys.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Thinking of you guys! So sorry you have to deal with this. Give her a big kiss for me. All my thoughts going your way!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    So sorry you are having to go through this. You seem like you are doing everything right. Hoping you get your second opinion and it helps ease your worries. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your little girl!
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers! I'm glad you're getting a second opinion. Hopefully it eases your mind.

• Options
    DS2 has one the size of a golf ball on his scalp. People are constantly asking us if he bumped his head. Did the doctor discuss laser treatment as a possibility instead of or along with the drug therapy?
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Huahine said:
    DS2 has one the size of a golf ball on his scalp. People are constantly asking us if he bumped his head. Did the doctor discuss laser treatment as a possibility instead of or along with the drug therapy?
    I had heard about laser treatments but I didn't think to ask at the time, especially because I was in total shock. I was really expecting her to just tell us to leave it alone. I will have to find out about that but i'm betting it's too big and too far along for that. I'm guessing with the medication there is probably a faster result of shrinking which I'm assuming is why she wants to use it to prevent it from bursting/ulcerating.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    :(  this stinks.  I would totally be freaking out about a year's worth of medicine too!  I hope the second opinions gives you more options, and helps you find the best choice  :)

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• Options
    Thinking about you guys. I hope the second opinion is helpful. Maybe it would help to write down a list of questions you want to ask? I always forget to ask stuff once the doctor starts talking. 
    Yes! Thanks for reminding me! So many questions!
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    updated
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    So glad you were able to get some more information. Hoping for you that the medicine will work quickly and effectively with no complications!
  • Options
    Sounds like a good follow up visit! I hope you guys see results soon with the drugs. Are they in liquid form? Keep us posted!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Glad to hear you're comfortable. i used to take it for headaches, its an old drug ( been around since before we were born I believe). I hope things continue to go smoothly with treatments. :)
    imageimage"">

• Options
    Great update! Please keep us posted during treatment. :)

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    Thanks for updating. I hope treatment is smooth.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    So glad you got good news. It sounds like you are in good hands. 

• Options
    Glad you have a plan you're comfortable with! Good luck with the first treatment!
  • Options
    updated!
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    Wow! It already looks much smaller. So happy for you and baby!

• Options
    Woohoo for the great update! So glad the treatment is working well!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Yay for progress! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"