October 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone use/have success with an SNS to supplement breastfeeding?

Sorry, this should probably go in the breastfeeding sticky post but afraid it will get lost. I'm trying everything I can think of to make bf work and will be seeing the LC again Ina couple days. I'm thinking the next step will be using the tube system to get away from the bottles. I'm looking it up and it looks complicated to use. I think they are $42.00 so I'm wondering if it is worth it? Just wondering if I'll actually be able to set it up by myself alone during the day or if it's too awkward/complicated. Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14

Re: Anyone use/have success with an SNS to supplement breastfeeding?

• Options
    It's not too complicated. Some are used with a syringe and others have a small bottle or pouch that hangs around your neck. If you put a bandaid on your breast just above or next to your areola, you can thread the tubing under the non-sticky, padded part of the bandaid and it will help hold the tubing in place (and you can leave the bandaid, of course, to use for supplementing again later). The bandaid is a trick I like to share with anyone using an SNS. ;)

There are really no risks to using one (no nipple confusion or anything), but they can be a little messy and there's a bit of a learning curve. If you don't need to supplement at every feeding, it might be worth planning to supplement during feedings when someone is home to help you out at first. Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I had to use it with a nipple shield as I have flat nipples too. We were given the madela brand. It worked well. We had to use it for a few days until my milk came in better as LO was losing too much weight. Keep in mind you have to wash our the tube right away and that it has to be disposed of after 24 hours (or at least the ones we were given had to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"