September 2014 Moms

Cradle cap

I don't believe this was discussed, haven't found anything!

Any suggestions on how to help it. It is very mild just a little flaky when he scratches his hand or my nail on his head .

Does cradle cap progress as time goes on?
amcclai2

Re: Cradle cap

• When you give him a bath scrub it REALLY good with the wash rag & soap. Then put baby oil or coconut oil on it.
    MLE_C2BJanisBaby14
  • I just used a baby brush after bathtime in gentle circular motion and it was better within a couple days. It was very mild to begin with.

Ahlome08JanisBaby14
  • I need to try that coconut oil idea. I've been washing his hair and brushing it but that doesn't seem to be helping much so far.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There's a shampoo mustela for newborns and it helped tremendously with both my kids cradle cap
    imageimage
    JanisBaby14
  • My pedi said to use coconut oil or baby oil and a soft brush and stimulate her scalp with the oil, and then to wash it out.
    JanisBaby14
  • SanRemoSanRemo member
    250 Love Its 100 Comments Second Anniversary Photogenic
    edited October 2014
    Mustela is the only thing that worked for my girls. Use it 2x and the cradle cap is gone. What a lifeaver. Edited to add- you need the foam shampoo for newborns
  • DD1 had terrible cradle cap! I tried everything. I even decided late one night that it was because her scalp was really really dry and put lanolin on it! Lol that didn't actually work. I wish it had. I thought it was a stroke of genius.
    Anyways her pedi recommended when all else failed, if it was still bothering me. I could put a little teensy bit of Selsun blue on a wash cloth, and wash the area with that. I only had to do it once and it was gone. And she's perfectly fine! :)
  • I used baby oil, massaged it in, then used that little fine comb from the hospital to get most of the flakes off. I did it once with DS and it never came back.

image image

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• O

I used baby oil, massaged it in, then used that little fine comb from the hospital to get most of the flakes off. I did it once with DS and it never came back.

I did this also. Worked like a charm.