July 2014 Moms
Options

Transition to the crib

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I could find a thread on the same topic.

Lo has been sleeping in his RNP since he came home from the hospital. He sleeps like a champ in it. I am talking a solid 12 hours. But he is starting to get cramped in there and his toes are almost to the edge.

I have started to try and transition him to his crib and its not going well. He squirms for most of the night and wakes himself up all the time. And I dont really know how much is the crib or if we are starting the 4 month sleep regression.

The reason I am pushing the crib is because we are traveling for Thanksgiving, so LO will have to use a crib at the hotel.

Lo has always slept in a sleepsack.

Do you have any thoughts or tips? Thanks.

Re: Transition to the crib

• Options
    I've started putting dd down in the crib during her naps and that has been going okay. I don't know if it will help at night though because I haven't done that quite yet.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Same issues here. Except I haven't tried putting DD in the crib for the night. We also have a Graco Little Lounger which we tried transitioning from the RNP to that for sleep because it can be lowered from the incline and is less "cozy." Well, that didn't go so well. She slept in it but it's restless.. I think because she knows that's more of a hangout/catnap location. She really likes the comfort of the soft lamb head on her cheek. She will turn so that her cheek is against the softness and I think she just overall likes the closeness of the RNP, but she is really starting to outgrow it and i'm at a loss for what to do. She also wakes up halfway through the night in a furious attempt to break free of the swaddle - which I let her loose and it was chaos for the next 2 hours. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them as well. 

ETA: She goes down between 8-9pm and up by 6-7am. No MOTN feedings for the most part. She also will nap in her crib from anywhere from 30m-2hrs.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I had the same problem and got this crib 2 weeks ago:

It ROCKS, literally and figuratively-- the wheels are removable and then it rocks on a curved bottom  :)   I started putting LO down at night in the new rocking crib for his long stretch of sleep, then would try to put him back in there after his first MOTN feeding (also experiencing the 4 mo sleep regression!).  Sometimes he would go back to sleep in there, sometimes I would have to put him back in the RNP, gradually decreasing the instances of putting him back in the RNP

For the past 5 nights he's slept exclusively in the new rocking crib (being able to rock him back to sleep is worth so much to me--he already had a non-rocking crib but I bought this thing anyway to keep next to our bed).  

I would highly recommend this crib for people transitioning from the RNP  :)

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• Options
    I've also been trying to transition from RNP to crib. The one thing I've done that has help is wrap her tightly in an A+A blanket. I do it from her armpits down, burrito/swaddle-ish style. I make sure she's laying on the end of the blanket so it doesn't come untucked.

The other thing that I've noticed is I've always had feeding/snuggle time in our room before putting her down. Whenever I try to do it in her room, she looks at all the colorful crap we have everywhere and gets over stimulated. So our nighttime routine has become a grand tour of the upstairs!
  • Options
    I had the same problem and got this crib 2 weeks ago:

It ROCKS, literally and figuratively-- the wheels are removable and then it rocks on a curved bottom  :)   I started putting LO down at night in the new rocking crib for his long stretch of sleep, then would try to put him back in there after his first MOTN feeding (also experiencing the 4 mo sleep regression!).  Sometimes he would go back to sleep in there, sometimes I would have to put him back in the RNP, gradually decreasing the instances of putting him back in the RNP

For the past 5 nights he's slept exclusively in the new rocking crib (being able to rock him back to sleep is worth so much to me--he already had a non-rocking crib but I bought this thing anyway to keep next to our bed).  

I would highly recommend this crib for people transitioning from the RNP  :)
    We have this crib as well - it's great. Coupled with the Magic Sleep Suit, our transition from RNP to crib was totally painless. Not to say that she's sleeping through the night, but she wasn't doing that in the RNP either.

• Options
    I don't have any advice, I just had to share my incredible jealousy regarding how much your baby sleeps! My son sleeps for 2 1/2 - 3 hrs during the night if I'm lucky.
  • Options
    My experience is that after a few nights they usually get it and sleep fine in the crib. However all kids are different. Is the RNP in your room currently? Could you start by moving the RNP to baby's room for a week, then into the crib tightly swaddled and then lose the swaddle? I think a lot of time the crib thing is more about how huge it feels for them.

• Options
    My DD transitioned to the crib this weekend and although she moves around a ton trying to get comfortable she's sleeping about as well as she was in the RNP (2-3 hrs at a time). I put a pillow under one end of the mattress to imitate some of the incline for her reflux and took an A&A swaddle, rolled it into a long snake, and made it into an inverted U shape under the fitted sheet when I lay her head to give her a slight sense of the snuggle she had in the RNP. She likes to lay her cheek against it. Maybe one of these tricks will help someone!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @earichar23 GREAT idea about the rolled sheet! I will have to try that!

[ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options

My DD transitioned to the crib this weekend and although she moves around a ton trying to get comfortable she's sleeping about as well as she was in the RNP (2-3 hrs at a time). I put a pillow under one end of the mattress to imitate some of the incline for her reflux and took an A&A swaddle, rolled it into a long snake, and made it into an inverted U shape under the fitted sheet when I lay her head to give her a slight sense of the snuggle she had in the RNP. She likes to lay her cheek against it. Maybe one of these tricks will help someone!

We also do this. I googled "reflux nest" and built something similar.

DD transitioned ok. We also incline the mattress. Before transitioning, I gave DD a lovey and took it everywhere with her. Then it went to the crib as a security item. I did thevsamevwithbthe fisher price seahorse. Her sleep is not restless by any means... She looks for paci and we still swaddle.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    Last night was our first night using the crib!  He did great, me on the other hand not so great.  I hate being a nervous wreck- I think I watched the monitor every hour.  
  • Options
    We also transitioned to the crib last night.  We had done it previously, at about 3 weeks, but went back to the RNP shortly after because I like sleep.  She was sleeping through the night but last night got up at 2.  I nursed her but due my supply has plummeted recently so I think she didn't really get anything so the next few hours were not fun.  Finally we gave her formula and that seemed to do the trick.  I am almost positive she is going through a growth spurt which is why she woke up.  I'm going to stick it out and hope we can get back to sleeping through the night... only in the crib this time!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We transitioned DS over the weekend. It's not great sleep like the RnP, but it is improving. I'm thinking we will need to ditch the swaddled soon and I'll probably get that Merlin suit. Last night he ended up turning 90 degrees and had one arm out of the swaddled on the top and the other hand sticking out of the bottom. I watched him on the monitor and he has figured out how to flop like a fish and gets his legs going so that he rocks and turns, especially with the crib wedge in there. But we need the wedge because of his reflux... Last night he went on a 3 hour stretch. It's not the 6 I was getting from the RnP, but it's better than the 1 hour stretch from the first few nights. I have been taking an A & A blankets and tucking it around his lower half to help him feel snug too. It seemed to help last night.

• Options
    We used an in bed co sleeper at first and had DD in bed with us. When we transitioned her to the crib at around 9 weeks, I literally put the whole co sleeper in the crib. Luckily, no change in sleep habits. Last week at 13 weeks she looked like she was getting too long so we transitioned her to just the crib. At the same time, I also took her out of the swaddler that kept her arms by her side and got a sleep sack the lets her arms be up by her head
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I could find a thread on the same topic.

Lo has been sleeping in his RNP since he came home from the hospital. He sleeps like a champ in it. I am talking a solid 12 hours. But he is starting to get cramped in there and his toes are almost to the edge.

I have started to try and transition him to his crib and its not going well. He squirms for most of the night and wakes himself up all the time. And I dont really know how much is the crib or if we are starting the 4 month sleep regression.

The reason I am pushing the crib is because we are traveling for Thanksgiving, so LO will have to use a crib at the hotel.

Lo has always slept in a sleepsack.

Do you have any thoughts or tips? Thanks.

Thank you for posting this! We don't use a RNP but she has been sleeping in her swing(we don't use the motion) since 7 weeks when she had congestion and the dr recommended doing so.

We tried to transition her to the pack n play for the past 2 weeks and have failed miserably! She wakes even hour starting at 11:40pm (we put her to bed at 7:30). I was thinking it was teeth or the sleep regression thing but we put her back in the swing last night to see if she just hates the PAck n play and she went 8 hours straight...

I have no idea how to transition, but I know we need to soon as well :(
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Also... Just found troublesometots.com and i found their stuff so far interesting and reassuring to read! Hope it helps :)
    BabyFruit Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"