May 2014 Moms
Options

Supplementing/Formula/BM Question

DD is EBF at home and pumped BM bottles at daycare. I've had to cut out two pumping sessions a day and I'm not producing enough. I've been dipping into my freezer stash often and know that by the middle/end of next month, it will be gone. 

For those of you who started BF and switched to supplementing with formula or switched over entirely, how did you do it? I'm worried because DD is over 5 months old and not sure how she'll handle the switch. 

My plan is to continue pumping 2x a day at work and BF in the morning/evening when I'm home with her. I'd love any advice on how you made the switch and also what brand formulas you liked or didn't like. TIA. 

-signed a mom scared of change.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Supplementing/Formula/BM Question

• Options
    We've been supplementing with formula since I went back to work when he was 3 months old. We use Similac for supplementation. He likes it and has never refused a formula bottle. I would see if she'll take the formula first. She might not have any problems with taking it. If she refuses it I would start out with a bottle 75% BM/25% formula, then one that's 50/50, and then 25% BM/75% formula.
  • Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I know formula is fine to give DD, but I'm starting to feel mom guilt over this. I think its frustrating because on the weekends, I EBF DD and she is fine - doesn't seem hungry or anything. 

Did either of you talk to your pedi before supplemting? 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cook251 - I'm looking at the HIPP formula now on Amazon. I haven't looked at any formula yet, but ummmm...breast milk is free. Why is formula so expensive?! How long did it take you to get it? Did you look at Earth's Best at all? Also, do you know why there is a separate Good Night HIPP formula? 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    @becole42 - thanks. That is exactly what I needed to hear today. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    Ladies - just wanted to say thank you for all of the support. DH doesn't seem to get me with this - some days I feel guilty and other days I feel empowered by the thought of being done with the pump, etc. So thank you - you even made me tear up at work :)

@becole42 - DD is 5 months(sh) - check my siggy. At her 4 month appointment, she was 14 lbs, 2 oz. She has to be close to 16 lbs now. I nurse her in the morning before DC around 6:30am - probably 5-6 oz total. She gets 4 5oz bottles at DC. I nurse again at bedtime. 

Her day usually looks something like this: 

Bottle 1 @ 8:30am
    Bottle 2 @ 11:30 am
    Bottle 3 @ 3:00 pm
    Bottle 4 @ 5:15pm
    Nurse at 7pm
    Sometimes MOTN 
    Nurse at 6:30am

During the weekends, I don't give bottles and I EBF her - she eats more often than she does during the weekday. We have just started giving solids last week. We are doing BLW so its mostly play with the food, taste it, and smash it. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options

@cook251 - I'm looking at the HIPP formula now on Amazon. I haven't looked at any formula yet, but ummmm...breast milk is free. Why is formula so expensive?! How long did it take you to get it? Did you look at Earth's Best at all? Also, do you know why there is a separate Good Night HIPP formula? 

I haven't used it but have heard some not so good things about the earths best organic formula, my friends babies had negative reactions and her dr told her that he's seen that quite often.

There is a Good Night HIPP formula Because nighttime breastmilk has tryptophan in it so the formula mimics that from what I've been told. I know several people who love and use this brand frequently.

Best of luck with figuring it all out!
  • Options
    When I was working with my first I had to start supplementing at six months. He was VERY picky and would only take Gerber Good Start and I had to start with bottles that were half F, half BM and slowly work down to all formula. 

I felt guilty about it at first, but it ended up working out really well.  I still nursed him in the morning, after work, and at night, and he had formula during the day at his sister's. My body totally adjusted to that schedule, though it was uncomfortable for a few days because I stopped pumping at work.  (I just could not do my job and take the time to pump.)

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    I should add that I am thinking about doing one bottle a day of formula starting soon.  There are going to be times coming up that he will need to take a bottle and it is difficult to pump enough with three kids to be taking care of. 

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    demofea01 said:

We've been supplementing with formula since I went back to work when he was 3 months old. We use Similac for supplementation. He likes it and has never refused a formula bottle. I would see if she'll take the formula first. She might not have any problems with taking it. If she refuses it I would start out with a bottle 75% BM/25% formula, then one that's 50/50, and then 25% BM/75% formula.

DS had formula since the NICU however to ensure he would be ok with all we did the mix at home using Similac Supplementation as pp said. Greedy had not problems whatsoever.

• Options
    apinkpelicanapinkpelican member
    edited October 2014
    Probably all has been said by PP by now but I was in a similar situation around 3 mos. The first time I gave her a bottle of formula (I never mixed them) I sat with her in the nursery alone and we both cried (at that point she still wasn't taking bottles which made it worse). But then it got better day by day.
    I started by sending 2 bottles of BM and 1 F bottle to daycare each day. Then as I got less and less from pumping, 2 F and 1BM. At this point I started freezing more which allowed me to have a better stash for when we were done. Just recently ran out of stash. (Side story: went to thaw my last bag of BM and was all sad about it already when I look at the bag and see my notes 'wine-cookout'! :-S )

We use Gerber Supplementing. She loves it now. I must say even though it was hard, it was also freeing.

I nursed MOTN for a while and first AM feeding until she just wasn't getting anything.

I know you know there is nothing wrong with formula but it is still hard. Good luck with the transition, Mama! You are doing a great job!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"