August 2013 Moms
Options

Intimidation?

Hey ladies...I know it's been forever since I have been active or even lurking but I was hoping to get some advice or opinions.

My little sister recently found out she was pregnant while interviewing for a new job. She is undergoing a total career change. She just started working at a place that assists people with disabilities. She will be working one on one with someone. She informed hr that she is expecting (she is just under 3 months). The job requires a physical and there is a physician on their staff. Apparently this physician has been very short with my sister and told her that if she works there, she is putting her baby in danger. The same physician required her to get paperwork filled out by her ob/gyn. When my sister looked at her paperwork it was for a different position which required more physical labor then the position she was hired for. She was at her ob's office when I last talked to her.

So my question is...is the staff physician within the company allowed to make a judgment call like that? I know some people with disabilities can be violent, but does this company not keep pregnant women on staff? My sister is afraid that they could fire her based on the fact she pregnant, I know it's against the law to fire someone just because they are pregnant, but if her ob/gyn signs off on being unable to preform certain duties (ie..lift 50+ lbs) would that be grounds for termination? Tia
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Intimidation?

• Options
    I was thinking that too about the physician. I talked to her this morning and her OB restricted a lot of the duties listed on the form and I received a text message from my mom saying that my sister was let go. She is devastated. I don't know what reasons they had for letting her go. I feel terrible, she was so excited to change careers and took a huge paycut when taking this job. She was very enthusiastic about working with the disabled. I will update on the reasoning they gave her for letting her go, but I can't see how it won't be related to her pregnancy.
  • Options
    Thanks. They let her go due to her "medical condition." I cannot believe she is going through this right now. She seems to be OK and has contact her previous employer. They have filled her position, but asked her to train the new hire and they are looking for something for her. Thank god her previous employer has a heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"