December 2013 Moms

Dentist at 1?

W is 10 months and has had 8 teeth for about 2 months now. At 9 months the pedi told us we needed to take him to the dentist at 1 year. Is that normal? my mom said we didn't go until after 2 and I have other friends who were not told to go that early. Just curious :)

Re: Dentist at 1?

• I took my oldest at 1.5 years. She didn't have a tooth in her head until 14 months, and had a full set by age 2! It can't hurt to go, and pediatric dentists are equipped to handle peanuts. 

At almost 3.5, she understands that just like doctor check ups, the dentist is an integral part of your health. I brush her teeth twice daily and floss every night without push back from her. Start them early and it just becomes routine.

• My pedi says the first appointment should be around 1 year or 6 months after the first tooth. Whatever comes first.
  • Loading the player...
  • We took LO to the dentist at 7 months and she just had her second appointment last week at 10 months. Her next appointment is in January. It really depends on how early you want to take LO because I think some pediatricians recommend taking them to the dentist at one year old.

Displaying photo.JPGDisplaying photo.JPG
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad you posted this. I forgot to ask our DR at her 9 month check up..... I was thinking about taking her at 1 year but I wasn't sure. She has 8 teeth (for a while now) so I guess 1 year sounds about right.

• Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I guess the hunt for a pediatric dentist begins! :)
  • edited October 2014
    Our pediatrician said to start taking them after they turn 3. Has worked for us so far, no cavities :) Eta my friend is a hygienist at pediatric dentist I take my kids to and she agrees. Although they dont turn away younger patients. If you're brushing their teeth regularly at home there usually isn't a need.
  • I didn't have O on our dental insurance this past year, so he will be going sometime after January 1 (thank you annual enrollment!)
  • anakahanakah member
    edited October 2014
    Our dentist has us bring the twins in when we go for a cleaning to get them familiar. They sit in the chair and he shows them the tools and takes a quick look. He says they won't need to see the dentist for real for another couple of years.
    Eta. They are 3.
  • Wow I would've never thought of taking LO so early! Shows what I know about that I guess. We will probably wait longer though, I just can't really imagine that right now.
  • I asked my dentist when I was in for cleaning/6 mo check up if I should schedule an appointment for LO after he turns 1 and she said to wait until 2-2.5 unless I have a concern. We talked about his teeth (he has a lot already) and our current cleaning routine during my visit, so I felt comfortable with their recommendation.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• Chillpr said:
    My pedi didn't mention it and A3 has had teeth since 4months old. I should have asked at the 9mos appt, but will def ask at the 12mos appt. He'll have almost a full set by then since he's teething molars now. Are you guise using floride or just the baby toothbrush?
    Just using baby toothbrush. Pedi said that was all that was necessary until 1 and then start w/ the toothpaste. I agree w/ a few of you that W would FREAK if a dentist tried to look in his mouth unless he was holding food!  :)) I am going to press a little more at the 12 month appt about how necessary it is!
  • Mine has half of a tooth:)

• ColeRose said:
    I talked to my friend who is a dentist and he said around 1, but not really for hygiene purposes at that point. He said for a few years it is all about getting the kids comfortable/familiar with the dentist. I'm holding off making an appointment until C at least has ONE tooth.
    This for us too!
    Oh good so C isn't the very last December without a tooth!
    Still toothless here, too! 

Married 8/2012
    DS born 12/2013 @ 41w2d
    BFP #2 EDD 10/2015

• ColeRose said:

Turk721 said:

fauxvegan said:

We took LO to the dentist at 7 months and she just had her second appointment last week at 10 months. Her next appointment is in January. It really depends on how early you want to take LO because I think some pediatricians recommend taking them to the dentist at one year old.

Is there a reason you're going so frequently?
    That is a lot! Especially when it is just to get that used to being there.
    We lost our health insurance when I quit my job so LO has Medicaid. They sent a letter saying I had to set up a dentist appt at 6 mos so I did. Then the dentist said she'd like to see her every three months until her first birthday just to make sure her teeth are coming in okay.

The dentist only sees her for like 3 minutes. She sticks her finger in her mouth to feel her gums. Then she tells us how to take care of her gums and teeth. She said I should be brushing her half tooth every day with a baby toothbrush and start using toothpaste once she had 6 teeth.

• @Turk721‌ looking at everyone else's responses I think you're right. The last appt seemed so pointless. I do remember taking DD1 to the dentist for the very first time at 1 yr, but not at 6 months.

• Haha I agree. That sounds like overkill! 
  • We did LO's first appointment a few months ago because he had a lot of teeth and because our pedi told us if the mom had cavities, baby is more likely to get them.  We made an appointment partly for that reason but mainly to have him start getting accustomed to strangers wearing masks putting their fingers in his mouth.

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"