Parenting after a Loss

Update and question

I have no problem getting DD to go to sleep at night or naps on the weekend. The problem is she wakes up at night. She is up and standing in her crib screaming. Sometimes it is because she is wet everywhere, which requires a change of clothes and diaper for her and her crib changed. Friday she woke up at around 12:30 soaked, and was dry until 7:30. Letting her scream and cry in the middle of the night is not really an option in our half awake state. Last week my husband was gone for a night and she went to bed at 7:30, woke up at 9:45 so I was still awake and wouldn't go back down until 12:15. Suggestions that are not books for me to read? I really don't have time for that.

My other question is for CD mamas (No, I am not asking on the CD board). As I just said, DD wets through at night sometimes. It is hard to tell when it will happen. She has wet through our cotton/hemp fitteds as well as a pocket stuffed with a cotton prefold and hemp insert. Suggestions?

We also have a walker. She walked clear across the living room. She would rather crawl it is much faster. She loves to get into everything and "help" take the laundry out of the basket and throw it on the floor, through the bottles on the floor from the shelf, etc. Her favorite game is throwing things so we pick them up.

I had to take a personal day today in order to get done everything I need to for work/school. It sucks that we aren't given any time to do report cards and grades at school. My husband was gone most of the weekend so I wasn't able to get much other than housework done. Hopefully today is productive. I am taking DD to my parents all day, so that should help allow me to get things done.
Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

Re: Update and question

• Sleep is so hard! We had a really rough time getting B to sleep through the night. Then once we got that settled, she started waking up between 4:30 and 5:30 every freaking morning. If your DD is wet, obviously she needs to be changed....would you consider not CDing at night? I use Pampers baby dry at night time and they don't leak and are good for 12 hours. If she doesn't need to be changed and there's nothing physically wrong, this is what I did to get B to sleep through the night: I would set my timer for 5 min as soon as she started crying, then after 5 min, go in, tell her, it's ok, mommy is here, but you need to back to sleep all by yourself tonight. Do not touch her. Then set your timer for 10 min, then go in and do the same, then set the timer for 15 min. After that go in at 15 min intervals. The first night took close to an hour and a half, the second night about 45 min, the thrid night around 15, then it would be less than 5, then it stopped. She now sleeps a solid 11 hours at night. I'm not going to lie, it's seriously hard to let her cry, but honestly it was the best thing I ever did. If she's standing, she will eventually lie down by herself. B would fall asleep sitting up sometimes and just bend over forwards. She would eventually straighten herself out.

Having a baby/toddler is hard! I've really had to lower my standards on the state of my house and manage my time so much more. I don't sit down until about 9pm, and I work full time too. hang in there, it will get better....eventually. When times are hard and I'm feeling overwhelmed, I just remind myself that this won't last forever and she will eventually sleep. ((HUGS))

BFP #1: 12/26/11, EDD 09/05/12; m/c discovered: 02/22/12 @ 12w u/s,
    D&C: 03/08/12 Waited for AF for 146 long days!
    Hysteroscopy/D&C on July 10th to fix blocked cervix (DX: Cervical Stenosis)
    BFP #2 12/8/12, EDD 08/21/13 Our rainbow arrived 08/24/13!
    imageimageimage

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I agree with mama lamb. We use sbish fitteds at night and have never had a leak. Those things absorb ridiculous amounts of pee!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sure you are already doing this, but if not I would switch to overnight diapers.

I would say that if your baby is waking up that quickly after being put down, maybe she isn't that tired yet?  Have you tried pushing bedtime back by just a smidge?  Try pushing back in 15 min incruments and see if that helps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had to stop using pockets at night. I used a cover (in a larger snap setting) with 2 hemps and a Microfiber insert. DS is a heavy wetter at night. We use sposies for traveling and have to upsize in a nighttime diaper. In the morning that sposies is so full that it doesn't even fit through the top of a diaper genie, LOL! I tried a few fitted at night, but DS seemed to breakout with all of them (he has extremely sensitive skin). The OS covers have worked best for us.

Sorry, I don't have any advise on sleep. We are dealing with our own battles over here. But I want to say GL! I hope you find some success soon.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• https://themindfulhome.blogspot.com/2013/08/cloth-diapering-with-wool-everything.html?m=1'm so sorry you're struggling with sleep. For me, sleep issues are the worst because I have way

less patience in the middle of the night. And as a teacher, (I assume that's what you do if you say you're grading right now) I know you NEED your sleep.
    I second the suggestion of trying sbish fitteds under wool at night. They are a little more pricey than other CDs, but have great resale value, and most importantly, THEY WORK! If you're only using it at night, you could get away with having a smaller stash. And there are BST groups all over Facebook if you aren't opposed to buying used.
    Here's a great link a wool mama shared with me before I first tried it. I found it very helpful. (I'm having trouble C&Ping the link, I'll add a second comment with the link there)
    Also, someone taught me the trick of layering crib sheets with receiving blankets between. So you put on a crib sheet, then a receiving blanket, then another crib sheet, another receiving blanket, etc, until you cant fit anymore or you run out. (And obviously before your layers get too bulky and become a hazard) Then, if you have a leak in the middle of the night, you can just peel off a layer (or two, depending how soaked things are) without having to completely change the sheets. Although, with sbish diaps, I dont have to worry about leaks anymore. :)

Good luck, mama! I hope sleep & dryness find you all soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pkaren said:

Sleep is so hard! We had a really rough time getting B to sleep through the night. Then once we got that settled, she started waking up between 4:30 and 5:30 every freaking morning. If your DD is wet, obviously she needs to be changed....would you consider not CDing at night? I use Pampers baby dry at night time and they don't leak and are good for 12 hours. If she doesn't need to be changed and there's nothing physically wrong, this is what I did to get B to sleep through the night: I would set my timer for 5 min as soon as she started crying, then after 5 min, go in, tell her, it's ok, mommy is here, but you need to back to sleep all by yourself tonight. Do not touch her. Then set your timer for 10 min, then go in and do the same, then set the timer for 15 min. After that go in at 15 min intervals. The first night took close to an hour and a half, the second night about 45 min, the thrid night around 15, then it would be less than 5, then it stopped. She now sleeps a solid 11 hours at night. I'm not going to lie, it's seriously hard to let her cry, but honestly it was the best thing I ever did. If she's standing, she will eventually lie down by herself. B would fall asleep sitting up sometimes and just bend over forwards. She would eventually straighten herself out.

Having a baby/toddler is hard! I've really had to lower my standards on the state of my house and manage my time so much more. I don't sit down until about 9pm, and I work full time too. hang in there, it will get better....eventually. When times are hard and I'm feeling overwhelmed, I just remind myself that this won't last forever and she will eventually sleep. ((HUGS))

Thanks for the advice. I like your suggestions. I will definitely talk this over with DH.
    I have no advice on sleep because we have the same problem at times. As for the diapers leaking are the inserts soaked? If the inserts are soaked you need more absorbancy. If not it could be a fit issue or they are repelling. If it's an absorbancy issue a lot of people like fitted diapers for ON. They typically hold more and you can add adsorbancy if needed. What fitteds are you using and what covers are you using with them? If your fitteds are leaking I'm going to guess it's a fit issue or any issue with them repelling. With the pockets are you putting the hemp or cotton on top? Hemp holds a lot but absorbes slower than cotton so you'll want to put the cotton on top and hemp underneath. Sorry for all the questions! I just want to get a clear idea of what's going on before I suggest something that may not work or even be an issue.
    The inserts are soaked. I have 3 pockets that I stuff with a cotton prefold on top of hemp (I don't think I can stuff anything else it's tight as is.) and 2 kissa cotton/hemp blend with soaker fitteds that I have a kissa cover and a thirsties cover.

I have no advice on the CD issue, but have a friend who CDs and they moved to disposables for night time. Sounds like the ladies gave you some advice in the diaper/leaking arena. FWIW we had leak issues when J moved up in sizes, but (again) we're a disposables family. CD is foreign to me.

As far as sleep training, I work FT and didn't have time to read sleep training books either. If I have time to read a book, I'm reading something for fun damn it LOL! But seriously we did something similar to what @pkaren suggested. J would cry as soon as we closed the door. We'd let her cry for 5-10 minutes depending on the type of cry she was letting out - if it was frantic, I went in at 5 minutes, if it was boredom/non-urgent I went in after 10. I would not touch her, tell her everything was okay and it was bedtime, then I'd walk out. Then, if she was still crying, I'd give it 5-10 minutes. Same thing. Usually by the third time, I'd go in and tell her it was time for bed, and then I'd sit there and watch her. Turns out she would see me sitting there and lay down. She obviously knew she shouldn't be awake. And just seeing me was enough to calm her. Once she was calm (after a minute or two) I'd leave and usually she'd fall asleep. If she didn't, we'd let her CIO and she'd usually be asleep in 5 minutes.

Let me tell you, J STILL doesn't always sleep through the night and she's 17 months old. I firmly believe you have to find a method that works for you. We tried straight CIO first and she worked herself up to vomiting. That was at 13 months. Then we tried the above and it worked pretty well until about 14-15 months. Now we do CIO again because she got wise to our "sit down and watch until cam" method and she'll stand up to play and start talking to us. At 17 months, we put her down around 7 p.m., let her CIO for 5 mins, she falls asleep, and sometimes she still wakes up a few times a night. We ignore her unless it sounds like an emergency/panic cry.

Sleep training sucks, and I'm sorry you're dealing with leaky diapers on top of it.

Wedding 08/08/08

• DD is only almost 10 months. I am thinking we might have better luck when she is older and we have time (over Christmas break) as we are both teachers.

I'm sure you are already doing this, but if not I would switch to overnight diapers.

I would say that if your baby is waking up that quickly after being put down, maybe she isn't that tired yet?  Have you tried pushing bedtime back by just a smidge?  Try pushing back in 15 min incruments and see if that helps.

I have no problem getting her to sleep, she goes to bed around 7:30 everyday. The problem is she wakes up in the middle of the night, sometimes it's 12, sometimes 3, and it's never the same time. Sometimes she's wet, sometimes not.
    https://themindfulhome.blogspot.com/2013/08/cloth-diapering-with-wool-everything.html?m=1'm so sorry you're struggling with sleep. For me, sleep issues are the worst because I have way less patience in the middle of the night. And as a teacher, (I assume that's what you do if you say you're grading right now) I know you NEED your sleep. I second the suggestion of trying sbish fitteds under wool at night. They are a little more pricey than other CDs, but have great resale value, and most importantly, THEY WORK! If you're only using it at night, you could get away with having a smaller stash. And there are BST groups all over Facebook if you aren't opposed to buying used. Here's a great link a wool mama shared with me before I first tried it. I found it very helpful. (I'm having trouble C&Ping the link, I'll add a second comment with the link there) Also, someone taught me the trick of layering crib sheets with receiving blankets between. So you put on a crib sheet, then a receiving blanket, then another crib sheet, another receiving blanket, etc, until you cant fit anymore or you run out. (And obviously before your layers get too bulky and become a hazard) Then, if you have a leak in the middle of the night, you can just peel off a layer (or two, depending how soaked things are) without having to completely change the sheets. Although, with sbish diaps, I dont have to worry about leaks anymore. :) Good luck, mama! I hope sleep & dryness find you all soon!
    DH and I are both teachers.
    Wedding 08/08/08

• Thanks ladies, this was very helpful. A lot to think about and I am going to do that thinking at another time. I am going to try to get some sleep.
    Wedding 08/08/08

• @poohbear033 - oh man, at 10 months sleep was rough. If you and YH have time off for holiday breaks, that may be a great time to try and work on sleep training. I also found that a steady routine before bed around 10 months really helped.

Good luck! I hope you got some sleep last night :)

We have had the same bedtime routine since I went back to work when she was 10 weeks old. Going to sleep is fine, going back to sleep after waking up...not so much.
    Wedding 08/08/08

• We use pick up/put down and it's really helped with sleeping. When he cries we go in there, pick him up and hold him only until he stops crying, then lay him back down say 'it's sleepy time now' and hang out with him for a few minutes until he falls asleep. If he gets back up to standing or sits and starts crying we pick him back up, rinse, repeat. The first time we had to lay him back down like 20 times but now it only takes 2 or 3 times and in the MOTN sometimes just once does the trick. I wish he wouldn't wake up at all but I'm just glad he's sleeping in his own crib! 

Definitely look into another diaper solution, that will help. We use pockets and double stuff them with microfiber and we don't have any issues. 
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"