May 2014 Moms
Options

Rejecting formula **Updated**

mommar13mommar13 member
edited October 2014 in May 2014 Moms
So I posted in the food thread about how DS is a champ when it comes to eating. I should have kept my mouth shut. For the past 4 days he's rejected formula. He'll drink water and juice with no issue, so I'm not worried about dehydration. We had to go get him some vitamin drops though because I know he's not getting what he needs. He'll drink a bottle in the morning with banana flavored cereal in it and that is the only time he'll eat anything with formula now. He won't even do that the rest of the day. He is only interested in his purées. I have tried to push back the time between feedings thinking if he's hungry enough he'll take it. Nope. Made it 6 hours today and I caved and gave him some mixed veggies because he was just pitiful and spit every bit of formula out of his mouth. I've tried different nipples, different flow rates, 4 different sippie cups.....I'm really at a loss here. Asking his pedi at his 6 month appointment in the morning, not really sure what he can even do though :(
May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Rejecting formula **Updated**

• Options
    My LO is kind of doing the same where she's just not as interested in nursing unless she's exhausted. She nurses to sleep and will fight that sometime a because she doesn't want to eat. However, she is loving the purées but still not wanting as much if those too. I saw on the relationships leap that they will want to eat less. Maybe that's what he's doing but he just can't resist the purées. For now can you mix some into your purées? I sometimes use breastmilk to thin them. Sorry I'm not much help just trying to think of other ways he could get some formula.

• Options
    Do you think DS is being picky about temperature of the bottle?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had thought that, but he rejects it hot or cold. I'm working on trying to sneak in formula when I can, but it doesn't really work. He won't take cereal after his morning bottle. I feel mixing it into his food would make it too wet and wouldn't get enough in to make a real difference. I'll just have to talk to the pedi and hope he can give me some advice.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We went through this, at least 6 weeks of rejecting the bottle, game-playing to get her to take anything. It wasn't related to solid foods though because it was much earlier on.

Temperature turned out to be one of the factors. After trying four different bottles (Dr. Brown's were the go-to for the most part), I tried the Tommee Tippee ones and she really liked them. No games and her feedings are much quicker.
  • Options
    Could it be the brand of formula?

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    Pedi said start cycling through different formulas until he found one that he likes the taste of. It's not the bottles, the temp, or the flow rate. He has just decided formula is gross apparently. Have to go back in 2 weeks and make sure he is not losing weight and talk options if we haven't found one he'll tolerate. Potentially going to toddler formula or the pediasure shake things. Pedi said we just have to get him to take something until he's 9 months, then we can stop pushing it :-S

• Options
    He's been eating the same formula since he was 3 months old, so it's not like it was new and he had to get used to it. So far we have tried enfamil infant (the one he was on for so long), similac soy (pedi said it might be sweeter), and enfamil reguline. Still working though different brands and types to find one. He just decided he didn't want it anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"