Working Moms
Options

Overcooking in the crockpot

djm31012djm31012 member
edited October 2014 in Working Moms
Moms who work long hours- how do you do the crockpot when most recipes call for 7-8 hr cooking times and you are gone for 11-12? DH leaves the house after me between 7-730 and the earliest I'm home is 545pm. I'm afraid to leave the crock on that long and Overcook my meals. Any thoughts ??

Re: Overcooking in the crockpot

• Options
    Or get a timer for your outlet--like you'd use for Christmas lights

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Options
    I set it for one hour less time. Then when the crockpot shuts off but is still on the counter and hot... It's essentially still cooking because it doesn't cool off very fast. I do crockpot every Monday, I'm up for sharing some recipes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The outlet timer would only work if you have the dial kind, not the digital.
    i don't use a crockpot anymore for this very reason... everything was ridiculously overcooked into a disgusting dried up or mushy mess.
  • Options
    I don't really use the crockpot for such long cooking times.  The food gets overcooked.  I use my crockpot on weekends and freeze or reheat later in the week.  Or I use it on the rare occasion I am working from home.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I hate the crockpot.  I have one that automatically sets itself to warm after the cook time.  Stuff still comes out overcooked.  Honestly, I always think stuff tastes better when it's not cooked in the crockpot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Definitely get one with a timer. I also put some meats in partially frozen.
  • Options
    I have one with a digital timer. It switches to warm after it finishes cooking. I have a Hamilton-Beach brand slow cooker, and it's been phenomenal.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    awesome thanks! I will look into ones with the timer. Yesterday I cooked enchiladas in it for dinner tonight, so that wont be an issue and should have enough for tomorrow. I think I just need to upgrade my crock to one that will shut off on its own. And if overcooking is still a problem, when a recipe calls for 7 hours Ill have it shut off after 6!
  • Options
    Great thread!  I hardly use our crock pot because of how long we're gone and how the food gets overdone.  I'm putting a timed crock pot on my Christmas list this year (my MIL just loves to get me really really exciting stuff like that).

I've thought about putting my normal crock pot on an outlet timer and DH said it's a fire risk.  I guess if you're going to do that you'd need a timer that can handle the electricity the appliance needs?  Or maybe my DH is just overly worried about starting a fire while we're out?  
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
  • Options
    I would worry about food safety with both the outlet timer and the warm setting. The warm setting, depending on your specific crock pot, keeps food a temp the FDA says is safe for 1-2 hours. If I did not work from home, I would crock pot on the weekend and reheat during the week.
  • Options
    Choosing the right meat and/or recipe that can handle it. Chicken doesn't tolerate it well BUT if you plan on shredding the chicken for soup, it is fine. Brisket works really well. Soups. Also, I prep the night before and put the insert with food in the fridge so it starts cold the next day and that probably adds an hour of cook time.
  • Options
    I just also add some extra liquid if I know I'm going to be a couple of hours late. Especially with chicken. Half a cup or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"