Infertility

WTF poor report

Hey guys,

I know I said I was going to stay away from this board after our 2nd (final) failed IVF, but I had my WTF appt yesterday and wondered if anyone has any insight/advice. Interestingly enough, my RE had been concerned with our results (prior to BFN) but obviously hadn't wanted to worry us. She said she and the other RE were 'shocked' at the result. I had 27 retrieved, and 21 fertilized as of day 3. Then it all went south. They started to arrest and quality went downhill. My best was a "really nice" B and I had one more B that made it to day 6, but still wasn't good enough to freeze. So, like my Chinese Medicine Practitioner has been hypothesizing, the RE agreed that it is either/both an egg quality issue and/or a genetic issue. I have great FSH and AMH and I'm young. She's going to do some blood screening for me to look for indicators of MTFHR and to rule out Factor V (runs in DH's family, not mine to my knowledge, but still isn't likely the cause). They're also going to do another SA for DH to check for fragmentation. But that's it. That's all there is. She said we could go the immunology route if we felt like it, but she didn't support it and said it doesn't seem likely anyways. She also said we could consider egg or sperm donors, but considering we don't know if it's one or both of us, it would be an expensive experiment. She even offered to do IVF again if we wanted, but said she wouldn't expect a different result. Then she started talking about adoption.

I feel so deflated. It's like grieving IF all over again. It feels like I was given a terminal diagnosis for my chances of conceiving. Yes there's always the spontaneous miracle statistic, but we all know the reality of that likelihood. I'm doing my natural/TCM supplements to work on egg quality but it really feels hopeless.

Any WWYD advice?
30 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
DH 32yrs & healthy
*unexplained infertility* 

Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
  • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
  • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
  • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
  • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
  • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
  • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! 21 embryos on day 3. Embryos deteriorated quickly. ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.

Reserved a semi-known proven donor in August .

Waiting for consult/screening and protocols with estimated fresh cycle timing in October

Re: WTF poor report

• I'm so so sorry :(
    I would probably go forward with the testing she spoke about and then have another talk with your RE.
    I'd also get a second opinion.
    TTC since May 2012
    Me: 32 H: 31
    DX: MFI-Very Low Count, I have Hashimotos.
    IVF prep September 2013 cancelled due to Ovarian Cyst
    IVF #1 October 2013 Antagonistic Protocol with ICSI  ER 10/31/13 (18R 16M 11F- 6 blasts to freeze)
    ET delayed due to OHSS 
    FET scheduled for July 8. Delayed due to a crazy high TSH (it had been under control for YEARS!)
    FET #1 8/5/14 sET BFN 

All welcome!
  • I'm so sorry your going through this. I agree! Get a second opinion. There has got to be other options besides donors and adoption.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry you're going through this. I don't have any advice other than to get another opinion.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to digest this information. The grieving is awful.

I'm also young-ish (31), but my AMH is poor. My RE said something similar at my WTF appointment (not to expect anything different on a subsequent cycle, although it does happen from time to time).I went for a second opinion, and I'm getting some additional testing done. Another perspective may help you consider different options or at least accept what you've heard. I've been surprised by how differently my two REs have approached my situation, and I'm glad I went for the second opinion.

Has your RE mentioned using Saizen (HGH) for egg quality? This is a step I am considering for my next IVF cycle.

GL

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Hey sweets!! I'm sorry you had such a shitty wtf appt. I would def go ahead with the testing especially with your dh's testing. I believe that after the first 3 days when things go down hill it's normally an issue with the sperm. I can't find where I read that. I want to say it was iswte? I hope that you can get some better answers after the testing comes back. Sending big hugs. Xo
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• I'm getting two more opinions and traveling for both. It sucks and maybe they will have a similar opinion, but maybe not. I've seen fresh prespectives work miracles for others. And I don't want any regrets in 20 years. I absolutely think the immunology testing is worthwhile. If for nothing else, at least you would know.
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• I would get a second opinion, sometimes small changes can make a big difference in egg quality. Something simple like a protocol change could be all you need. Also with regards to reproductive immunology, there are some issues that can effect egg quality. I think it's worthwhile to look into if it's a path you might want to pursue. If your interested in learning about the issues around immunology and unexplained infertility, I recommend "Is Your Body Baby Friendly?" by Alan Beers. Yes, the title is hokey, but the info on the relationship between the immune system and infertility is good. I will warn you that it was written before Dr. Beer's death in 2006 maybe so the treatment section is a little out dated.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I agree with @Justone13. I do not remember where I read it but I am told that if there is an issue with the embryos after day 3 it is likely because of sperm issues. You want to research that a bit. And, do not forget that most REs are not immune-treatment friendly. However, there are hundreds of women out there who are seeing immunologists and doing IVFs with their immune systems under control and many success stories out there. Do whatever feels right for you, not what your RE thinks is right. I would get second or third opinions, and maybe arrange a free phone consult with a reproductive immunologist.

---- Siggy warning ------

Me 34 y/o  DH 35 y/o

IVF#1 (ICSI)-- April 2014-- MDL with BCP, 5R, 4 ICSID, 3dt with three embryos, 1 six-day freeze (2BA grade)-- BFN

IVF#2.1 (ICSI)-- August 2014: MDL without BCP-- cancelled

Natural IUI on 11/8 -- BFN

IVF#2.2 (ICSI)--Nov/Dec 2014: MDL without BCP, 5R, 1 ICSID, frozen on day 6 (grade 2BB)

FET #1: transferred two 5 (or 6?)day embryos on January 27. Beta #1 (2/4): 158, Beta #2 (2/6): 391 Beta #3(2/9): 1187 BFP! 

First u/s at 5w1d showed one gestational sac and yolk sac. Second u/s at 6w showed heartbeat at 102. Third u/s at 7w heart rate 145. EDD 10/15/2015

• I am so sorry. I agree with PP seek a 2nd and perhaps 3rd opinion. Do the testing, the more info we have going into this the better chances of  tailoring a more effcient protocol.
    *Losses mentioned*
    Me: 34 DH:32
    TTC #1 since Dec 2011
    HSG = tubes clear, bicornuate or septate ute; MRI= severe arcuate uterus no septum seen 
    SA #1 low count, low morph;  SA#2 4% Morph, count OK  SA#3 july 2014= NORMAL!!!
    9/2013  IUI#1 w/Clomid 100mg = over response; cycle converted to cryoocyte IVF
    IVF #1: 9/15 ER= 9 mature eggs, all eggs made it thru vitrification
    10/23 ICSI 6 fertilized; 10/28 5dt of two morulas. Hold on to me babies, stick, stick, stick!!
    11/6 BFP EDD 7/14/14 Beta #1= 18; 11/9 Beta #2= 44.8; 11/12 Beta #3= 7 = Early loss @4w6d. No frosties
    Feb 2014 Hysterscopy = no septum seen ute all clear in the inside
     IUI #1.1 4/2/14 Beta on 4/16 BFN
    Thinking about IUI #2  RE advised to try 3?????
    Natural cycle surprise BFP 8/3/14 EDD 4/11/15  beta#1(8/5/14)=35 Beta#2(8/8/14)=22  CP/Early loss@5w
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have no advice but wanted to say how sorry I am. I just found out today that the only 2 embryos that fertilized stopped growing after day 3, so I've got nothing to show for this IVF. Defeated and deflated are the same feelings I have today. I'm so very sorry. I'll be following up on pp's comments about sperm issues possible causing failures after day 3.

*** siggy warning- losses mentioned- everyone welcome *****

Me:  36

DH:  42  (w/ 2 children from prior marriage)

Us:  TTC for our 1st together since August 2013

1st BFP:  November 2013  (m/c at 7 wks)

2nd BFP:  February 2014  (m/c at 6 wks)

RPL Panel started in March 2014

3rd BFP:  May 2014 (m/c at 5 wks)

4th BFP:  June 2014 (CP at 4 wks)

RE appt in June 2014 (all RPL panel tests are normal...it's likely egg quality due to my age and borderline DOR)

Baseline AFC: 8 follies

2 IUI cycles (July and August 2014- both BFN)

IVF #1 w/ ICSI & PGS- October 2014 (AFC: 8 follies; ER Oct 20:  5R/3M/2F;  the 2 only made it to day 3 and stopped growing before biopsy)

key supplements: DHEA (25mg- 3x/day); CoQ10 (300 mg/day) ISWTE believer here!

IVF #2 EPP w/ ICSI & PGS- AFC:  13 follies!   10R/6M/6F-  5 biopsied for PGS- 1 normal embryo

FET scheduled for February 2015 delayed in order to do one more ER in hopes of getting at least 1 more normal embryo

IVF #3 EPP w/ ICSI & PGS:  7R/5M/5F-  2 biopsied for PGS- 1 normal embryo

FET #1 April 23, 2015:  1 PGS tested embryo transferred - BFN

FET #2 June 30, 2015:  1 PGS tested embryo transferred- BFP!! 

• Thanks everyone for your wonderful support and advice. I'm hesitant to even pursue a second opinion because due to our location, the next closest RE is 10+ hours away (my husband rarely gets any predictable time off). And all the additional testing is additional money... when really, I am 85% positive we won't do IVF again. I'm torn because I want to know, but then I wonder if knowing will do me any good if there aren't evidence-based treatments or affordable options.

@Justone13 I wondered if anyone else had heard about the after-day-3 thing being due to male factor genetics - I know up to day 3, the embryo development is egg-driven and after that, the sperm actively participates.

I guess I'm still questioning how much fight I have left in me...
    30 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
    DH 32yrs & healthy
    *unexplained infertility* 

Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
    • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
    • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
    • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
    • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
    • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
    • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! 21 embryos on day 3. Embryos deteriorated quickly. ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.

Reserved a semi-known proven donor in August .

Waiting for consult/screening and protocols with estimated fresh cycle timing in October

• Thus happened to me with our first IVF. I responded amazing and by day 5 i only had 1 embryo left. Not wanting to risk the 2nd round, and not wanting to say something was definetly wrong as it was only the first time - we froze all embryos except the 2 we transferred on day 3. We did this because i have amazing insurance. 3 failed frozen cycles later here we are. This next fresh cycle we are going to have karyotyping test done and going for day 5 again. If it all fails we are moving in to adoption. Knowing when the fights over is important. I'm sorry you're at this point.
  • You may be able to get a second opinion consultation by Skype. I would look into it.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I'm so sorry. I think you should go for a second opinion, definitely. It seems unbelievable that there isn't anything that can be done to improve your results, since you are young and have had such great numbers. I know that Dr. Sher out of Las Vegas will do Skype consults.

And I know that I'm like a broken record, but I highly recommend that everyone doing IVF read "It Starts with the Egg." My RE isn't giving credit to the supplements/lifestyle changes I adopted from the book, but I know that my dramatic improvement in my numbers is due to it.

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
    IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
    IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
    IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

• I would definitely search for more answers as well as a second opinion. I wouldn't give up until I knew why, and if there's something to be done to fix it before I could move onto other options.
    Good luck and big hugs
  • SECOND OPINION! I would def. get all the tests possible done! If she's offering to do them and insurance is paying, you might find its something that can be corrected. Why didn't they transfer the 3 day embies? Some embies just don't like being in a lab setting and would do better inside you. If you can, try to get an appointment with one of the big clinics. CCRM (colorado) or Cornell or NYU or RMA here in NYC. I know it sucks starting the process again, but it might be worth a visit to ease your mind. I had a shitty RE at first who didn't know shit from shinola as I found out when I met with my current RE. I got sad, I got angry then I got informed. Big HUGS!!! I am at Cornell in NYC if you have any questions. 

++Siggy Warning++

Me: 33
    DH: 39

TTC: 4 years.
    Me: PCOS. Polyps.
    DH: Low morphology and motility.

TTC naturally - 1yr.
    4 IUI with metformin - All BFN. 
    Changed ER.

IVF # 1 - 6 blasts made it to freeze. Transferred 1 fresh blast. Low first beta, but rose appropriately. Bean made it and we heard Heartbeat!! Sadly Bean couldn't hold on. Heartbroken. M/C.

FET# 1- 2 beautiful blasts transferred.1st beta- 6. Chemical. :(

FET # 2 - 2 beautiful blasts transferred. 1st beta - 74. #'s rose appropriately. Ultrasound found Sac and fetal pole! Sadly bean couldn't hang on. M/C. Devastated. 

One frosty left. 

IVF#2 - ER Scheduled for November. We will be doing PGD. Transfer most likely JAN 2015.

image image imageimage
  • @Jzyla--I have heard the same thing as @Justone13. We are MFI and our embryos start to go downhill after day 3. In RE's words, the egg pretty much determines the embryo's growth up to day 3, and it isn't until day 3 or 4 that the sperm starts to have its say. I can definitely relate to the results you guys got. Sorry to hear you're in this spot. Hope you can find peace with your decision either way. 
    Me: 28, no diagnosis  DH: 33, MFI, severely low morphology, diagnosed 3/14
    IVF #1: May/June 2014: 10R/8F, 1 morula transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.
    IVF #2: July/August 2014: 18R/12M/8F, 2 blastocysts transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.
    IVF #3: October/November 2014: 22R/17M/15F, 2 early blastocysts transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.

• I'm so sorry ! I have been told that if its after day 3/4 it can be the sperm that caused the problem. I was told that by two different REs at very reputable centers. I think you should get tested for more than fragmentation. I'm not sure what the tests are but there are many girls who have done this and found out that all along it was there husbands sperm. I know of a person in this very group that this has happened to. I will email her and ask her if its ok to tell you her username so she can email you. That way you can ask what tests she did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"