Breastfeeding
Options

Baby only eats well at engorged breast

I just posted another question (on iPad and can't do paragraphs so figured I'd do another post) Anyway, we've been having issues with her weight gain so had to supplement with formula/ pumped milk. She falls asleep right away at the breast and it takes soo much to wake her up and keep her awake to nurse, and I still don't feel that she gets a lot at a feeding (will eat 3-4 oz of pumped milk after nursing). Anyway, I noticed that she eats a lot more vigorously when my breast is a bit engorged. Do you think this is a milk supply issue or flow issue? I saw a LC and she showed me how to do breast massage and compressions while nursing to keep the milk flow going so baby doesn't have to work as hard, which has helped a little bit during Feedings, so I'm wondering if the breast is really full, does that mean milk flows better for her and she goes longer? Or, is it a supply issue and when it's full she's getting more so she doesn't get as frustrated and give up? Thanks for any insight you can provide. So frustrated.
BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14

Re: Baby only eats well at engorged breast

• Options
    If you've been supplementing with a bottle, she might be getting a preference for the faster flow and instant gratification, as opposed to working for the letdown at the breast.

It's not necessarily a supply issue, but if you keep feeding on the engorged side, you may create one. That will send the signal to keep making milk on that side, but not the other. It's normal for one side to be a bigger producer, but you don't want to have it be so drastic.

When you give a bottle, are you doing paced feeding? Look it up on YouTube. It involves more than just stopping every ounce to burp, it's more about how the bottle is held. Make baby work for it.

And to answer your question from the other thread about when to pump; ideally you should pump around the same time as giving the bottle. Is there someone else who can give the bottle while you pump? Otherwise maybe look into a hands free pumping bra so you can pump and feed at the same time.

You can do this, mama! I hope you get the support you need IRL to stick with it if that is your goal. The first 6-8 weeks are HARD! ((hugs)).
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"