Working Moms

Weird or not?

Hi ladies, I lurk often and post rarely but I need some feedback. We love our DC, and we have had zero problems. At pick up today one of the teachers, who is awesome, was saying goodbye to our DD and gave her a kiss. On the lips. Our DD is almost 20 months and she really gets along with the teacher, but it kinda weirded me out, not at first, but the more I've thought about it. It definitely wasn't forced, and DD was happy, but I don't really know how to approach it and definitely don't want her to get in trouble, but I also don't really want that to be a regular thing. Does this happen other places?!
Thanks!

Re: Weird or not?

• Yuck, I would say something
  • Yeah, that seems weird to me. I'm sure you are aware but that is how herpes...as in fever blisters...are spread to young children.
  • Loading the player...
  • That is weird. Are you certain it was on purpose? I've tried to kiss both my boys on the cheek before, and ended up with lips because they turn their head in a way that I'm not suspecting. I would only say something if you're certain that the lip-kiss was purposeful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes it's weird unless your child turned that way just as she was leaning in for the kiss. I've kissed DS on the lips multiple times before, never on purpose but his face is so small that sometimes I miss the cheeks.
  • Wouldn't bother me at all.
  • Doesn't seem that weird to me. My DD is a lip kisser. Also, might be a cultural thing.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Weird. I am not a fan of kissing in the lips.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! Do you think it's just something I say in passing to the teacher or should I ask the director if they have a policy? I'm honestly just more worried about germs, I love that she loves my girl so much, but I feel like a kiss on cheek or head is more appropriate. It was definitely an intentional kiss too.
  • Doesn't really seem weird to me either. Our friends' kid (2.5yo) is a lip kisser. I'd rather kiss her on the head or cheek but that doesn't "count" as a kiss to her. She just asks again for a goodnight kiss. Lol.
  • I'm in the weird camp. Just this week our daycare was working on getting the kids to stop kissing each other on the lips.
  • It's weird to me. I'd have a crucial conversation such as I saw you kiss on the lips. I don't know if it was intentional. We teach DD to kiss friends on the cheek. Is that something you could help us with?
  • I would not like that one single bit. I'm the only person who occasional kiss my LO on the lips but only occasional and I'm her mom, as for the teacher to be doing that no matter how much she loves her I wouldn't like it and I'd bring it up with her directly. 
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • I think it would be less weird if your DD initiated it.  But I find it VERY weird that it was initiated by the DC teacher. If you feel comfortable with the teacher, say something to her directly.   If not, I would talk to the director.  

• Wouldn't bother me.
  • edited October 2014
    Wouldn't bother me, either, but I say that pre-fever blister. I want my kids to be affectionate with people, so I don't discourage much affection shown towards them. When they're older, we'll have boundaries discussions.

Anyhoo, I would probably tell the teacher that LO is prone to fever blisters (or thrush or some kind of contagious bacterial or viral thing - ask your doctor for some suggestions...) and might spread them to her teacher, so as a rule, you're trying to eliminate mouth-to-mouth kissing. When she says she's never seen a fever blister, just pretend she's crazy. A slightly confused look and changing the subject would suffice.
    One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)
  • I would address it directly but without necessarily mentioning the seen kiss. I like @MrsN052408 suggestions of "We're working on learning to kiss on cheeks, can you please reinforce that".
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is kind of weird in that it was her teacher.  However, I could see my kids being confused about boundaries with that.  We are lip-kissers in my family and DH's family.  It might sound weird to some, but in saying goodbye to my mom, dad, grandma, grandpa....we always kiss on the lips.  I guess I never really thought about it since it's always been the norm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"