Natural Birth
Options

Med-free vs. Medicated Pushing

I've been searching trying to find something on previous posts, but I haven't found an answer yet.

One of the biggest reasons I'm interested in a med-free delivery is how some women claim they push more efficiently. The handful of ladies I know who didn't receive an epi all seem to have shorter pushing times and were able to respond to the sensations they had from having all their feeling. Most of the others however, who opted for the pain relief, all seemed to push closer to the norm of several hours. Maybe because they had to be coached or could only feel pressure. Who knows? I understand all labors, babies, mothers, etc. are different, and that the times could be from exhaustion, not being able to relax between contractions, or any number of other reasons. 

My question is: Have any of you delivered with both an epi/pain relief AND med-free for separate births? Did you find yourself more efficiently pushing without the meds/was it more difficult to gauge how you needed to push with the meds? 

(I'm not sure if this is even an issue, but I'm trying to do as much research as possible.) 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
BFP: 01/10/2010, EDD: 10/10/2010, Loss: 03/16/2010

Lilypie Maternity tickers
BFP: 07/14/2014, EDD: 03/04/2015
imageimageimage

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    ST3WDST3WD member
    edited October 2014
    LilTiger15 Thank you! This made a lot of sense. I'm not especially worried about how long I push, but rather how effectively. I want to avoid being numb and thinking I'm pushing like crazy and having nothing happen because I can't tell. It's kind of a crapshoot anyway, since this is my first and I have no clue how my body or mind will handle L&D.

I just want to cause as little stress as possible to LO during the process, and figure that would be easiest if I can somewhat tell what's happening/listen to my body. If anybody had experienced both methods and didn't find it changed the effectiveness, then I would probably take it off my pros list for med-free. 

(Does this make sense? I don't know if I'm expressing myself correctly at this point.)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    catsinawindow Oooooookay! I think I know what you guys mean now. It's more about being able to listen to your own body than what everyone is recommending, and less about how "effectively" one pushes. 
    I believe this will remain on my list of pros. :)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    CLLDLL Thanks for the response! It's inspiring to hear my instincts were on target. :) With the reading I've been doing lately, I think I will try for a med-free birth! :D

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have delivered twice med free so I can't speak to the difference between the two, but I will say that my second delivery was a lot easier because I didn't fight using the positions that were the most uncomfortable, but produced the best progress.  I think one of the challenges with an epi is that hospitals common require the mom to stay in bed so she is limited to pushing while laying on her back vs being able to move around and use positions that are helpful in getting the baby to move downward. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I don't think comparing an unmedicated second birth to a medicated first birth is a fair comparison - it's fairly well known that second stage for multiparas will generally be shorter and easier than second stage for primparas.

FWIW, I had an epidural with DS. It did not stop me from feeling the spontaneous pushing that started when I was complete (which completely freaked me out), and I only pushed for about 40 or 50 minutes.
  • Options
    I had an epi for both births and I will say my second (30 min) was way easier then my first ( 3 hrs)  and DS 2 was 2lbs bigger.  I think some of it is that your body almost remembers how to do it and you can do things more efficiently the second time.  My sil went med free with her first and also pushed for 3 hrs.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I pushed both of my kids out in a few minutes, no meds. I did also get second degree tears with both. Hoping to have a much more calm and controlled pushing stage with #3.
    Tied the knot 2007 | Baby #1 2012 | Baby #2 2013 | Baby #3 EDD 4/2015
  • Options

I had both.  My first was with an epi. Even though I couldn't feel my legs at all I  still felt the urge to push with the epi and baby was out within 2 sets of contractions.   With my second I got an epi late and though it took the edge of the pain I could easily feel the contractions, descent down the canal, and I had a distinct urge to push at the end of each contraction.  She was a little larger in size so the OB was content with waiting for her to move down on her own and stretch things out. She was out within 20 minutes. 

My last was unmedicated and surprisingly I didn't feel the urge to push.  I started pushing involuntarily and the baby was out 2 contractions later.  I'm thinking because my water hadn't broken with #3 until he was born the bag of water might have been blunting some of the pushing sensation.  Just a theory.  Good luck with your med-free delivery!

I just gave birth to my LO about five weeks ago without pain meds... I was induced and on Pitocin but had no urge to push when they were instructing me to push until the very end I had a good birth experience despite a couple minor complications but pushed hit three hours ...
  • Options
    Also my water was broken ... Still didn't really feel the urge
  • Options
    @metaphysique Those are some crazy labors!  Your first sounds a lot like mine minus I couldn't get the epidural (my hospital's cut off was 7 cm).  Contractions didn't really hurt at all, it was being told I had to fight the urge to push because I wasn't fully dilated yet.  I was stuck at 9 for 45 min-1 hour and just wanted to push the whole time.   I know now that those urges are there for a reason and light pushing isn't likely to cause harm.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    JCWhitey I'm curious, did you labor in any specific positions? 
    Maybe I'm just being naive, aren't there poses to help descent more than others? 

(Obviously ever baby/body's different, but if there's a book or website that explains advantages/disadvantages to laboring positions, that might help.)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    ST3WD said:
    JCWhitey I'm curious, did you labor in any specific positions? 
    Maybe I'm just being naive, aren't there poses to help descent more than others? 

(Obviously ever baby/body's different, but if there's a book or website that explains advantages/disadvantages to laboring positions, that might help.)
    The better question is what position I *didn't* labor in.  I loved sitting on the toilet.  Lying in bed on my side felt good for a bit.  I tried the tub and felt constricted but it was nice for a bit.  I bounced on a ball, stood and leaned over the bed, laid backward on the ball (which freaked everyone out!), I think at one point I just dropped to the ground on my hands and knees... Seriously I switched it up every 3-4 contractions.  For pushing I did most of it on my back bacause that felt great.  For a few contactions I kneeled over the back of the bed but definitely felt better just lying down.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"