Potty Learning Recommendations — The Bump
Attachment Parenting

Potty Learning Recommendations

I did a quick search and didn't see any recent posts on this, if it has been asked, please feel free to link me in the right direction.

I'm looking for recommendations for parent literature on potty learning and thought I'd ask the AP board since that has been our general style of parenting and I'd like books that take that style of parenting into consideration.

What have you had success with in PLing for your AP raised toddler?
opheliainwaders

Re: Potty Learning Recommendations

• No specific literature recommendations - we very loosely followed the Brazelton method in that it was child-led, but not the actual steps.   I feel like our potty experience was very AP, because it was child led.

My son started showing an interest in the potty right around turning 2.  He wasn't consistent about times he had to go, except for the fact that he usually pooped during dinner, and consistently peed every night at bath time. So we got him a potty ring and let him sit on the potty while we ran his bath.  And that was pretty much it.

From 2 to 2.5 we would ask him if he wanted to use the potty.  He never did, except for before bath.  We started letting him wear underwear after we changed his diaper during dinner.  So basically he was in diapers all day until dinner, then underwear until bath time when he would pee in the potty.

At 2.5, out of nowhere he told us he wanted to poop in the potty.  We were staying at a hotel, and I don't know if it was the allure of the hotel toilet or what, but he started pooping in the potty and never in his diaper.  He was still in diapers, because he didn't want to pee in the potty.

About 2 months later, he decided he wanted to use the potty exclusively, no more diapers, just underwear.  Around that time he also started waking at night to go to the bathroom, although we still kept him diapers at night until recently because that's what he wanted.

He just turned 3 and last week decided he wanted to wear underwear to bed. 

So we didn't really do any potty training/learning, just followed his lead. The nice thing about that is we have had a total of 2 accidents in the past year.  And for some reason, which I can't explain, he also has no problem holding it till we get to a bathroom. So there's no "drop everything and run so you don't pee yourself" moments.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    FrecklesInsideneverblushed
  • I put little one in underwear and let him do his own thing. He didn't like pooping or peeing his pants when he wasn't wearing a diaper. It didn't take long for him to just go potty on his own. It was after he turned two. It worked for us but of course, all parents and kids have their own ways that work for them! Good luck! And I hope you guys find what works for you! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards