March 2012 Moms

Discipline

How do you discipline? Time outs do not work for us lately. Sometimes we take privileges away. However the only things that work when she is so far out of control (normal when tired from not napping) is yelling or giving her a GENTLE spank, really a tap on her bottom (not really a spank I guess). She is skipping naps more but REALLY still needs them as she is a total terror without them to the point I have to keep her in the house. We try to focus more on positive reinforcement when she does things she normally has challenges with such as transitioning activities etc…however when she is out of control she has zero good behavior and nothing gets through to her.

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!

Re: Discipline

• WipzWipz member
    edited October 2014
    a timeout chair would never have worked for us... not unless it had wrist and ankle straps and a  helmet with wires.. JUST KIDDING .. this is Texas ..LOL

I found that a couple of weeks of time outs in  a play yard worked a treat for us..  we have ZERO place to put one that he would be totally isolated from us or toys or such.. but I found he quickly learnt the word time out and what it meant.  

All I used was 4 panels from our giant baby jail ( wooden play yard )to make a small square which he could sit down in if he wanted to.. but in the beginning all he did was stand and howl and have a tantrum.  Then when he was asked if he was done.. if he said yes and calmed down, he was taken out, gave whoever he got timeout from a hug and a kiss and a sorry .. we had about 2 weeks tops of timeouts on a daily basis.. some days hourly LOL... and then boom..  

I think he has had maybe one timeout in the last 2 weeks.. to be fair tho,.. he actually asks to have the dang gate opened so he can play in it when he isn't in time out... so its certainly not something scary to him lol .. but he seems to understand the difference between being let in and being put in.

.. he got a "bye bye" bag.. a mesh sack hanging out of reach that his toys went in for the rest of the day if he threw them..    3 days of that and suddenly we rarely throw toys and books anymore.

I don't think there is any one magic cure,.. it all depends on the kid, the family dynamic and circumstances.. you will figure out something that works for you from all the ways everyone else does things.. it's kind of trial and error.    

Hopefully things will get better, I know my lil guy can def be a handful if he doesn't nap too.  

My best advice for you on that problem is ..  BO ON THE GO ... that DVD  rocks.. LOL.  My kid loves to dance and sing to his favorite cartoons and shows.. BO on the Go is one of them ( its on Netflix too)  

What makes this one so cool is its designed to have kids exercise.. as well as learn about things.. and it's fun.  The worst part is your kid will start to make you do it too haha..

yeah ...my husband  gets the evil eye if he isnt wiggling his finger to call the wizard, running on the spot to get to the doors or stretching to reach for the keys..  so after a full day at the academy including crossfit.. my 6 foot husband comes home to a 3 foot drill sergeant haha

I highly recommend this program for kids who won't nap lol 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not so much discipline but we are working on calm down tactics to cut back on the craziness. DD is also skipping naps fairly often and waking up early too but still needs the sleep. So she gets crazy late afternoon/evening. If she is really awful, no bedtime story or song. Just teeth, prayer, a reminder that we still love her and she needs to to do better tomorrow, then bed. She usually does because those are two things she likes. She has to be truly awful to lose those.

But anyway, we have her reach up to the sky then down to her toes a few times. Then we practice some deep breathing. Then sometimes we tell her to pretend to be a little mouse and she'll tiptoe around the house. By then she is calm enough to listen. She also knows that a time out in the hall is often because she needs to calm down. She'll go there on her own if she is upset to calm herself down.

A lot of the misbehaviors at this age are because they haven't learned self-control yet. And they don't want to be controlled by anyone else because they have learned they are their own person. So it makes it hard to handle. That's why teaching her how to calm down on her own has gone a long way for us. That and consistency.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Loading the player...
  • My DD goes to daycare and that's where our biggest behavior issues are happening.  Hitting, taking toys, talking back, etc.  (not to say she's perfect at home...)  They put her in timeout for the minor offenses, but I think she uses that time to catch her breath and then goes at it again.  We finally had to sign for her to get popped on the hand, that only worked a few times - she usually acted worse after. Now we are trying rewards and take-aways - at DC she gets to choose a treat at the end of the day if she is good and they are working to reward good choices as they happen. We also have banned all TV at home if she has a really bad day.  That one has been working for a few weeks, she's really into "her movies" so in the mornings we let her choose what she wants to watch when she gets home and we lay it out and then if she's "bad" she has to put in back on the shelf.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"