September 2014 Moms

Bottles

I realize the answer to this question is "keep trying till you find one" but I'm asking anyway...

We have tommee tippee bottles and ds seems to like them but he dribbles milk all over. (Slow flow nipple) Completely soaks a bib each bottle. I tried the nuk ones that worked for DS 1 but he won't even suck them. I think he prefers the straight nipple cause he likes soothie binkies too.

He also has some gas issues so I'm thinking is caving and Getting the dr brown but wondering if anyone has other suggestions with a straight nipple? We are formula feeding fwiw.
image"funny">imageimage
Mom of Boys!!

Baby #1 - 3 years old
Baby #2 - Born 10/1/14

Re: Bottles

• conradragingconradraging member
    edited October 2014
    I have tried tommee tippee, dr Browns, playtex Ventaire, Nuk, and eventually settled on mam. They're not the same type of nipple though...

We started with tt, and had the same type of dribbling. But I actual found it was worse with dr Browns. Maybe the wide ones would've been okay

Eta: she doesn't use soothies but she takes Tommee Tippee pacis still even though she used mam bottles

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• There is a new munchikin bottle that has a nipple similar to tommie tippie bottles and my soothie taker uses them well. .. it has a nipple that moves back and forth (don't know how else to describe it) and is more nipple like
  • Loading the player...
  • We are using dr browns and have the same dribbles happening. Although we don't give regular bottles, I'm bf so it's sometimes one bottle a day. I am not a fan of these bottles because of the cleaning but they do seem to do a good job with controlling air intake.
  • We are getting ready to start Bug on regular bottles (he had some during his first week and a half but hasn't used them since). Has anyone used or had luck with the Avent Natural slow-flow? He doesn't have any preference yet so I'm hoping we can stay away from the harder to use/find bottles.
  • whitney4126whitney4126 member
    edited October 2014
    We started with Avent natural slow flow and found it to be way too fast. We switched to playtex drop ins and it has made a huge difference. We practice paced bottle feeding, and with the playtex, she eats slower and has minimal gas.
  • Avent natural is what my girls like. LO still makes a mess though, she's kind of a lazy sucker!
  • Were using the Avent Natural here and LO manages to make a mess at times dribbling all over. It's not every time though, I'm convinced it's him trying to suck it down too quickly versus the bottle. Otherwise he seems to like the Avent bottles - he is pretty gassy though and I've considered trying a different kind for that reason.
  • Munchkin latch bottles work best for us.
  • jpfeifer said:

We use dr browns and have some dribbling too. He likes his soothies. The parts are annoying but I have enough bottles to only wash morning and night and it takes less than 5 minutes. We are on all formula, 8 bottles a day.

This is exactly what I was going to say. We have some dribbling but nothing too bad.
  • We've been using the munchkin latch bottles with success and also the kiinde twist system with varying results. The slow flow nipple for the twist is too slow IMO and the medium is too fast. I'm thinking it will be better when she's a little older

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We use the Avent natural and have had no issues.
    <Pregnancy Ticker>
  • Thanks! I might buy a dr brown and an advent and give them a go. I have quite an impressive bottle stash going on over here after two picky kiddos! Ha!
    image"funny">imageimage
    Mom of Boys!!

Baby #1 - 3 years old
    Baby #2 - Born 10/1/14

• DS likes Dr Browns. He is BF though so washing a few extrapRtsis no biggie since he doesn't even get a Boyle every day. I hope you can find one your LO will do better with!
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am having the exact same issue with my DD ( who is almost 5 weeks) we are BF and supplementing also. She has to wear a bib and burp towel every feeding! She also has very troublesome gas that makes her so upset, I was looking into Dr Browns as well. Any info??
  • We use Dr Brown's and Avent...the Avent ones make a mess and I think it's b/c they allow her to drink too fast...DH said he likes those better b/c she eats faster and he can get through a feeding quicker. I prefer the Dr Brown's. ..she eats slower and there is way less of a mess (if any at all)
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Kschwabe2 said:

We've been using the munchkin latch bottles with success and also the kiinde twist system with varying results. The slow flow nipple for the twist is too slow IMO and the medium is too fast. I'm thinking it will be better when she's a little older

I use the Twist system as well for when I pump. I find that if we catch little miss before she's too hungry, the slow flow work fine...but if she gets hangry (yes, hangry), then she won't take them...
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • We use Medela bottles with the Calma nipple. We found with she was swallowing too much air with the slow flow nipples. If anyone decides to try the Medela Calma nipple, it's a lot less expensive from Amazon than at BRU. We got the first one at BRU and it was almost $20 for the nipple and bottle. I believe DH found the nipple on Amazon for $11 and it was $1.50 for a bottle. I wanted more bottles so we went that route.

She also does well with Advent but I find it easier to use Medela bottles since my pump in Medela PIS.
    Anniversary

• I too have quite the extensive bottle collection. LO is FF and first started with Medela bottles from my breast pump but he kept collapsing the nipple. Then got a sample MAM and loved it so bought more but he kept clicking and dribbling. So I tried Dr Browns, Avent and Playtex drop in with the tilt ... Liked them all. Avent slowed him down really well, hubby hated them and like the other comment said too slow (pissed me off just feed your damn son). Dr.Browns seemed like a really small nipple and he collapsed that too. I love the playtex but hubby hates making his bottles in that ... You have to mix formula in a different container and then put it in the liner. I'm afraid it will be too clumpy mixing in the liner. So we have stayed with MAM since he loves those nipples. And I've spent a small fortune on those as well.
  • I hate dr brown because of all the parts. Parts+DH@4am= disaster. We tried a few with dribble troubles too but settled on MAM. DS loved the smoothies too but I converted him to MAM easily once he took to these bottles.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• We started with the Avent Natural, but DD dribbled and spit up a lot with them. I was pretty sure it was because it was too fast for her so we switched to Dr. Brown's. She still dribbles if she's trying to drink too fast or if she needs to burp, but for the most part they work well for her. Hoping we can get her switched back to the Avent when she can take a faster flow, though, because I hate cleaing the Dr. Brown's.

• Got the dr Browns. He HATES them! Arrrgh!!! I think he has to work too hard and gets pissed. Guess we will stick with the tommee tippee and deal with the dribble mess.
    image"funny">imageimage
    Mom of Boys!!

Baby #1 - 3 years old
    Baby #2 - Born 10/1/14

• After TT, Medela, playtex ventaire and Avent natural, we finally settled on the Munchkin Latch. He was dribbling so much out the sides of his mouth with all the others. That never happens anymore. There is an anti colic valve but the bottles are super easy to clean. In the beginning he sucked too hard and made the nipple collapse but now we rarely have a problem. They are not cheap (on sale now at target, 3 for $20) and they come with 2 slow fliw nipples and 1 stage 2 so you have to buy more nipples. Hope that helps. It definitely has made our MOTN feedings easier.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • MLE_C2B said:

I hate dr brown because of all the parts. Parts+DH@4am= disaster. We tried a few with dribble troubles too but settled on MAM. DS loved the smoothies too but I converted him to MAM easily once he took to these bottles.

Oh my god totally agree with the disaster of MOTN feeding with DH with Dr Browns. And my LO hated those. We were using MAM but he was clicking so much I was convinced it was his gas issue ... But after trying Avent natural, Playtex vent flow with drop ins (that I loved) and dr Browns, we had to go back to MAM because it's what he knew. And DH too lol.
  • Love my Dr. Brown's and my Munchkin latch.  I tried the Medela Calma nipple, but LO hates it & it makes a huge mess -- this was suggested by my lactation consultant, but I found it to be a bust.  I also have Avent, but am not a fan.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"