October 2013 Moms
Options

daycare moms- food

We haven't had one of these in a while. I feel like I'm failing in the food department because dd has become a little picky and she wants milk over solids. So I started googling around and I saw some sample menus for what a one year old should be eating. Holy crap! It seems like a lit of food and a lot of work. Then i started wondering if im the only one who doesn't feed their kid like that.. So, what dood do you send your kid with for the day?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: daycare moms- food

• Options
    Phew!

This is one of the sample menus I came across:

Breakfast
    1⁄2 cup iron- fortified breakfast cereal or 1 cooked egg
    1⁄4–1⁄2 cup whole milk (with cereal or without)
    Fruit can be added to cereal or on its own
    1⁄2 banana, sliced
    2–3 large sliced strawberries

Snack
    1 slice toast or whole wheat muffin with 1–2 tablespoons cream cheese or peanut butter, or yogurt with cut-up fruit
    1⁄2 cup whole milk

Lunch
    1⁄2 sandwich sliced turkey or chicken, tuna, egg salad, or peanut butter
    1⁄2 cup cooked green vegetables
    1⁄2 cup whole milk

Snack
    1–2 ounces cubed or string cheese, or 2–3 tablespoons fruit or berries
    1 cup whole milk

Dinner
    2–3 ounces cooked meat, ground or diced
    1⁄2 cup cooked yellow or orange vegetables
    1⁄2 cup pasta, rice, or potato
    1⁄2 cup whole milk

• Options
    Phew!

This is one of the sample menus I came across:

Breakfast
    1⁄2 cup iron- fortified breakfast cereal or 1 cooked egg
    1⁄4–1⁄2 cup whole milk (with cereal or without)
    Fruit can be added to cereal or on its own
    1⁄2 banana, sliced
    2–3 large sliced strawberries

Snack
    1 slice toast or whole wheat muffin with 1–2 tablespoons cream cheese or peanut butter, or yogurt with cut-up fruit
    1⁄2 cup whole milk

Lunch
    1⁄2 sandwich sliced turkey or chicken, tuna, egg salad, or peanut butter
    1⁄2 cup cooked green vegetables
    1⁄2 cup whole milk

Snack
    1–2 ounces cubed or string cheese, or 2–3 tablespoons fruit or berries
    1 cup whole milk

Dinner
    2–3 ounces cooked meat, ground or diced
    1⁄2 cup cooked yellow or orange vegetables
    1⁄2 cup pasta, rice, or potato
    1⁄2 cup whole milk

That's about how much DD1 was eating at 1 (minus the WCM- she was still nursing on demand but prob about 16 oz)

I'm way lazier with DD2 but she eats close to that. I don't think that is too far out of the norm.

I feel like this might be easier to do if I were home with her. It seems like a lot to send to daycare and really time consuming. What does the "lazier" option look like?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    NRyan55 said:
    I HATE packing my kids lunches for DC... that is the only negative about their current DC
    Today T got

Breakfast:
    2 pancakes and peanut butter
    hard boiled egg (he usually plays with this)

AM Snack:
    applesauce with cereal mixed in
    nutrigrain bar

Lunch:
    pasta with pesto sauce
    String Cheese
    Plain whole yogurt (lately I have been adding canned pumpkin)

He gets whole milk with ever meal/snack and DC provides afternoon snacks (how generous of them), usually some fruit and a carb

The meals have to be vegetarian so It is hard getting in the protein (waaah waah waah)

why vegetarian? Do you have separate containers for everything?

• Options
    NRyan55 said:
    @deedee1017 does your DC provide the WCM?

no, they provide the table food but I feel like there aren't enough fruit and veggies in the meals so I try to send a home made meal, yogurt, cheese stick and a vegetable. I send bottles of wcm.

• Options
    @crunchymama11‌ I didn't mean its not time consuming at home just that its there, in the fridge and you can just take it out/put back on a need basis. Whether sending it in or feeding at home, IT DOES sound like an all day event!

• Options
    So, sandwiches? I thought cold cuts were a no go at this point. What about nitrates?

• Options

So, sandwiches? I thought cold cuts were a no go at this point. What about nitrates?

My kid isn't in daycare, but this caught my eye...cold cuts aren't okay?

imageimage    

• Options
    Daycare provides all food, but I can tell you what she ate today:

Breakfast - Chex cereal with milk, bananas, puffs, cheese, milk
    Lunch - veggie meatballs, pasta, roll, salad, mixed fruit, milk
    Snack - dates, cheese puffs, oranges, cheese, milk
    DInner (at home) - chicken pasta, peas, milk

Her sippy cup milk intake during the day isn't great, so she also gets a bottle of milk at bedtime.
    DD1 born 9.20.13
    #2 due 12.23.17 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @baconface how do you make your eggplant?

• Options
    It's a process that we're fiiiiiinally getting adjusted to. Today, Em ate:

6 oz. bottle (2/3 formula, 1/3 milk)

a multigrain waffle (frozen, toasted)
    handful of puffs or cheerios
    cup of peaches (prepackaged, 100% juice)
    3-4 oz. milk

yogurt or purée (prepackaged, with fruit and veggies in it)
    handful of puffs or cheerios
    2-3 slices of colby-jack cheese, chopped or a multigrain fruit bar (prepackaged)
    3-4 oz. milk

chicken, cheese, onions, and bell peppers (outta my fajita wrap)
    peas and carrots (fresh frozen, thawed in the microwave)
    2-3 oz. water

I keep it as easy as I can by buying organic and/or fresh frozen foods with as few preservatives as I can afford and use before they expire. We're going to 50/50 bottles this week and trying to get him down to one in the afternoon and one before bed. Again, it's a process.

When he's off bottles completely, daycare will move him to the toddler room, where they provide milk and two snacks (morning and afternoon), as well as cups, spoons, etc. We have to pack him a lunch. Which is a pain the aaaaaaaaass.

Mantra: you're amazing, you're doing great, you're an awesome mom.
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't send DS to daycare but he doesn't eat even close to this a day. I now feel horrible but I do feel like he eats all day.
  • Options
    hlb622hlb622 member
    edited October 2014
    mancila60 said:

I don't send DS to daycare but he doesn't eat even close to this a day. I now feel horrible but I do feel like he eats all day.

Don't feel horrible! (See mantra above.). I am lucky, I have a kid that will eat anything I put in front of him, usually all at once if I don't keep an eye on him. He's eaten bugs (protein!), leaves (fiber!), and dog food (um, yeah).

YOU ARE DOING GREAT.
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mancila60 said:
    @mancila60 Don't feel bad! DS doesn't eat nearly half of what that sample menu is. And the list of foods he will eat is not very long. :-/ I offer so many things and he just doesn't eat many of them. We are working on it. He is not a good snack eater at all. And he doesn't like carbs. So weird. I've tried almost everything! His feeding therapist says he's doing ok considering his past issues, but she did start him on a vitamin. In addition to water as needed all day, here is what L eats on average per day:

Breakfast
    6oz bottle formula 
    1/2 of an egg
    maybe a few cheerios
    2-3 slices of banana (I'm lucky if he eats 1/4 banana)

Snack
    Maybe 6-8 Goldfish crackers (yes, I realize this is like, 10 calories, boo)
    1/4 cup yogurt melts (his fav)
    offer fruit/veg pouch if he doesn't eat the other stuff
    2-4oz milk in sippy

Lunch
    Broccoli (2-4 florets chopped)
    a couple bites of cojack cheese
    1-2 Ritz crackers
    8-9 raspberries
    1 oz yogurt
    2oz veg puree
    2-3oz milk

Snack
    Cheerios with peanut butter or puffs
    yogurt melts
    offer fruit/veg pouch again if he doesn't eat the other stuff
    milk/water

Dinner
    offer what we are having with variable success
    4-6oz fruit and veg puree
    2 canned peach slices diced
    1oz yogurt
    milk 2-4oz

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the helpful tips ladies! I deft need to get some batch cooking in. I don't do much shopping at trader Joe's but it sounds like they have some great options so I'll try to get there today. Also, I love the packaged fruit as an option to send in some days too. Dd thanks you in advance for her full belly.

• Options
    carawasacarawasa member
    edited October 2014
    I was thinking LO needed some more solids at meal time but holy shit I feel like I need to make up for lost time!! These babies can eat, it's pretty impressive
  • Options

My daycare provides meals, thank god because I suck at feeding. On days when they are home with me they eat oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, and maybe a muffin or toast. Lunch and dinner usually consist of one of the following: peanut butter on wheat bread, meatballs, scrambled eggs. That's pretty much the extent of my cooking ability and we have it every single day because I suck. Recently they have started rejecting all vegetables, so I've had to sneak them into other things. I mash up cooked carrots and mix it in with their eggs or meatballs, or I will get a vegetable puree or mashed squash and spread it onto bread.  

DH and I don't eat dinner usually. After they go to bed, I will reheat leftovers or will stick a frozen meal in the microwave, but its usually not anything I'd want them to have. I hate food. I hate cooking. If I could just take a pill and never eat again, I'd be totally fine with it, so I'm really struggling with changing my own attitude towards food for the sake of my girls. 

image4months_2radioflyer

• Options
    Right now I send five 2-ounce containers for her food and she usually eats breakfast there, and sometimes lunch if they are serving something her teacher feels comfortable feeding her.  When she moves up to another room in a few weeks, I will probably stop sending food and let her eat 100% of the daycare food.  

Today I sent homemade applesauce with a little bit of yogurt, oranges, homemade pumpkin mixed with apples and cinnamon, green beans, and steamed carrots.   She also loves bananas, eggplant, and any type of squash.

For dinner last night she had chicken, carrots, grapes, and a little bit of shredded cheese.  

I'm surprised I saw a few people sending PB to daycare.  We aren't allowed to send PB (no nuts), strawberries, or grapes because of licensing regulations.

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • Options
    Right now I send five 2-ounce containers for her food and she usually eats breakfast there, and sometimes lunch if they are serving something her teacher feels comfortable feeding her.  When she moves up to another room in a few weeks, I will probably stop sending food and let her eat 100% of the daycare food.  

Today I sent homemade applesauce with a little bit of yogurt, oranges, homemade pumpkin mixed with apples and cinnamon, green beans, and steamed carrots.   She also loves bananas, eggplant, and any type of squash.

For dinner last night she had chicken, carrots, grapes, and a little bit of shredded cheese.  

I'm surprised I saw a few people sending PB to daycare.  We aren't allowed to send PB (no nuts), strawberries, or grapes because of licensing regulations.
    We aren't allowed to send pb either.  Our daycare is peanut free.  

• Options
    Well my kid currently hates solids, so there's that.. .lol. I'm not concerned though. Our daycare provides food. Today he had:

-Bananas and cheerios for breakfast. He dumped it on the floor. 
    -Cheese cubes brought from home for his snack
    -For lunch he had stir-fry with pears
    -Dinner at home was cheese cubes and a bagel w/ pumpkin spread on it because I'm lazy and didn't feel like making dinner. He went ape shit for the bagel. 

DSC_0552-2  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    No day care here but this is what he ate today, its pretty typical.  

8am
     8oz WCM

9:30am 
    Egg scrambled with cheese
    banana or blueberrys
    Toast spread with peanut butter 

1130am
    Cheerios or yogurt 

4oz fruit/veggie pouch
    italian sausage

string cheese
    sliced grapes

4oz fruit/veggie pouch 
    pasta
    meatball
    sliced cucumber 
    peas

8 oz WCM

image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• Options
    rsigler said:
    rsigler said:
    Our DC provides oatmeal for breakfast, so I send fruit to go with that. Lunch is either leftovers or ground beef/chicken breast/some other kind of meat, half a string cheese or some yogurt, and more fruit. She snacks on puffs and drinks about 14 oz of milk throughout the day. Just like the BF/FF or SAHM/WM debate, some are bound to act all sorts of Sanctimommy about how much healthier/better/smarter their DD/DS is because of the huge variety of foods they eat every day. I'm just lucky if I get out the door with both DD's food and milk (luckily our DCP has been able to come through a time or two when I forget something). ::shrugs:: She is gaining weight, and is happy and healthy. #zerofucks
    Are we reading the same thread? I don't see any Sanctimommy responses.
    We must not be.

sorry if it's because of my comment. I really didn't mean to imply one was better or easier than the other.

• Options
    I tried that "sample menu" with him yesterday, @deedee1017‌, and by dinner he was not that hungry. And I didn't give him any WCM cause he hates it. He has a ton of water every day though. This has definitely made me more aware of fitting in 2 snacks, though. But it seems like one of those snacks a day is still a nursing session

• Options
    I tried that "sample menu" with him yesterday, @deedee1017‌, and by dinner he was not that hungry. And I didn't give him any WCM cause he hates it. He has a ton of water every day though. This has definitely made me more aware of fitting in 2 snacks, though. But it seems like one of those snacks a day is still a nursing session

Today and yesterday I sent in more fruit and her meals. Yesterday she ate a lot AND drank 4 bottles. I was shocked. Today she drank more, ate less. Idk. I guess it will need an adjustment period? How is that sample menu different from what you usually give your DS? @MangoMama82‌

• Options
    @ballygirl, you need to become good friends with your crockpot! Quick, easy and fool proof. :)
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options

deedee1017  thanks for starting this discussion. I'm curious on what thoughts are on convenience toddler food like Gerber Graduates. 

I try to give homemade food at home, however, it just doesn't seem feasible for me to prepare food everyday.  So far, I've sent in the Quart bottles of formula and the jars (or pouches) of baby food.

As my boys start to transition, I also wanted to get thoughts on quick nourishing drinks and/or snacks.  Currently they get a 6 oz bottle (half almond milk, half formula). Then they have oatmeal (sometimes with the breakfast on the go pouches) when they get to the center.

I want them to have sufficient to eat and for it to be as healthy as possible but I also need the convenience (at least for daycare).

• Options
    cvmyx said:

deedee1017  thanks for starting this discussion. I'm curious on what thoughts are on convenience toddler food like Gerber Graduates. 

I try to give homemade food at home, however, it just doesn't seem feasible for me to prepare food everyday.  So far, I've sent in the Quart bottles of formula and the jars (or pouches) of baby food.

As my boys start to transition, I also wanted to get thoughts on quick nourishing drinks and/or snacks.  Currently they get a 6 oz bottle (half almond milk, half formula). Then they have oatmeal (sometimes with the breakfast on the go pouches) when they get to the center.

I want them to have sufficient to eat and for it to be as healthy as possible but I also need the convenience (at least for daycare).

I also try to do as much homemade food as possible, but like you, sometimes I just need easy things to supplement the stuff I make, especially at daycare or on the go. I recently found these organic smoothie pouches in the supermarket. Dd seems to like them and I feel good that she gets another serving of fruit. image

• Options
    sleepy33 said:
    @ballygirl, you need to become good friends with your crockpot! Quick, easy and fool proof. :)
    @sleepy33 - not foolproof :(  I have been trying more crockpot things but I have had mixed results.  I think I have a shitty crockpot.  Everything burns in like, 2 hours. I've made shredded chicken tacos and one time they came out awesome  and then the next time they were pretty bad.   I also tried pulled pork which was meh.  SIL makes a really awesome pot roast in her crock pot with only 3 ingredients so I thought I couldn't go wrong.  I was wrong.  It was not good.  We gave most of it to the dog. After my last two disasters I've been hesitant to try it again.

image4months_2radioflyer

• Options
    ballygirl said:
    sleepy33 said:
    @sleepy33 - not foolproof :(  I have been trying more crockpot things but I have had mixed results.  I think I have a shitty crockpot.  Everything burns in like, 2 hours. I've made shredded chicken tacos and one time they came out awesome  and then the next time they were pretty bad.   I also tried pulled pork which was meh.  SIL makes a really awesome pot roast in her crock pot with only 3 ingredients so I thought I couldn't go wrong.  I was wrong.  It was not good.  We gave most of it to the dog. After my last two disasters I've been hesitant to try it again.
    My crockpot gets hotter than I would like. One trick I have found for pot roast is that I put the veggies down first, so that the roast isn't actually touching the crockpot itself, and it doesn't overcook the meat that way. What about chili? Pretty easy, and you can leave it all day if you put it on the 'keep warm' setting (does yours have that?), or you can turn it on high and bang it out in a couple of hours if you didn't have time in the morning. A turkey breast in the crockpot is also pretty easy, or a whole chicken. Does yours have the timer thing where you can tell it to switch to keep warm mode after so many hours?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"