January 2014 Moms

Diaper pail stench?

Talk to me about your diaper pail situation... Dd's got especially stinky and plentiful poops, and I can't seem to keep the smell contained! Her room always smells funky unless I air it out with open windows.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

Re: Diaper pail stench?

• I bag all poopy diapers in a grocery bag and tie a knot and snip off the excess plastic before throwing it in her diaper genie (I try to conserve space in the diaper genie because the refills run out pretty quickly). If its a regular trash can, it gets double bagged and even that doesn't contain the stink sometimes. 
  • We have an arm & hammer/ munchkin one now. This one seems to contain the smell much better than diaper genie thing (could have been diaper champ, can't remember) we had with DS. I just ended up throwing it away because there was no was no way to get the smell out from the container. I tried wiping it down with Clorox wipes regularly, washing it with lukewarm water with Dawn, airing it out in the sun, coffee grinds at the bottom...etc. nothing got rid of the smell long term. I plan on replacing it once this one starts to smell bad. Sorry, not much help :(
  • Loading the player...
  • We put in a scentcy drawer bag in to help with the smell. I also try and wash it occasionally

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have the diaper genie and DS room never smells. I try to close tight the diapers as much as I can.
  • I use the diaper genie for poopie and overnight diapers, use a small thrash can with a lid for daytime pee diapers. Every once in a while it smells but doesn't usually. H empties it regularly.
  • We have the arm and hammer diaper pail and it does a great job of containing the smell - just have to make shre the baking soda holder is full of baking soda!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We use the Ubbi with our regular trash can liners (I think they're glad fresh scent) and take it out once per week (we live in the city so we take it out on trash day.) Never smells. Poopy diapers go in the Ubbi, pee diapers go wherever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I use a regular trash can with plastic bag. I bag up poopy diapers right away and have extra bags in hand. I use an arm and hammer baking soda round fresher that does wonders for the smell. It stays for a few minutes but then it's gone. I tried the special diaper containers but it would get stuck so this works well.

• Sorry for the post and run ladies!! Yesterday turned oiut to be a productive day in the yard so I forgot to check back.
    We have a safetyfirst(I think?) can worh a lid tht had a pop up hole you open to drop diapers in, it takes regular bags, was cheap, and can be a regular trash can when we are done with diapers. Unfortunately, it just can't handle a cf kid!
    I think I'll try double bagging the poopy diaps and start washing the can out everytime we empty it. Thanks for all the info!

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

• I also have an Ubbi and even with DS' poops the smell is contained better than Diaper Genie. I live in a complex so we dump it out weekly. I also spray it down with Lysol and air it out as well.
  • I just double bag them and throw them in the kitchen garbage, since it gets changed at least once per day, sometimes twice. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image  image

• I have the Dekor plus and it works well. We tie it off early and take out bag if we have a really poopy nasty day!

We have this too, but we just put it outside on the deck in the back. I also use the febreeze garbage bags instead of the dekor liners and that really helps.

• Scented garbage bags, going on my list of things to try!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"