Single Parents
Options

Last name for baby?

Sorry for the length :-) thanks for reading!

I will be a single mother due to the unexpected death of my partner early in my pregnancy. My partner and I were not married. I have a 10yr old dd from a previous marriage and kept my married name at the time of divorce. I'm trying to determine the best last name for my new dd. Will she feel left out if she doesn't have the same last name as her sister and I? Is me even considering giving her my (old married) last name super offensive? Should I hyphenate her name? Should I just start hyphenating my own name even though I'm not legally linked to him? Her name will be something that pays tribute to her daddy with or without his last name so that's not a total concern for me but might be for his family.... I'm just trying to figure out what is easiest and best for all involved.

Any ideas?

Re: Last name for baby?

• Options
    Im with becwheat on this. My Ds has my last name because i didnt want him to have his bio dads last name.

If i were pregnant right now and my bf passed away i would give the hypothetical child his last name.

But only you. Know what is right for your family
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  I can't imagine what you must be going through :(  I would try to ensure that the baby has the same last name as you.  My son has his father's last name and we were never married so we have different last names.  It does seem awkward at times that we have different last names (daycare, doctor's visits, etc.). Maybe you could find middle name that was similar to his name but a feminine version for a middle name (i.e. Justine for Justin, etc.) or find some other way to pay tribute to her father.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Could use his last name as a middle name? My friend did this with her maiden name instead of hyphenating. So technically it's still part of her legal name but its not her "last name." 
  • Options
    If it were ME... I would honor him and give the baby his last name, and keep your last names the same. I don't think she'll feel left out, and I'm not sure she'll even notice until she's old enough to understand. "Your daddy isn't here, but he loved you very much before he ever met you - you have his last name."

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Second pregnancy, God willing - first baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker

5w0d: HCG 4,300
    5w2d: HCG 15,179  Prog: 27.9
    5w4d: HCG 18,000  Prog: 39 

6w3d: Heartbeat 119
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"