Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Mucousy diapers?

Hey ya'll, I have a 5 month old, formula fed baby who started waking up with diapers soaking through into his pjs and sheets with this weird mucousy substance. At first, I thought it was the off-brand diapers we were using, but we switched to better ones and it's still happening. He also has had diarrhea the last week+ with lots of blowouts. The mucous stuff had stopped so I didn't connect the two until today when they both happened again. We just went through a move out of state in the same time period, and he doesn't seem sick otherwise, so I have been attributing the diarrhea to stress. We don't have insurance or a pediatrician yet and won't for a few weeks, so I'm just not sure if this warrants a self-pay visit or not. Anyone have experience with these symptoms?

Re: Mucousy diapers?

• Options
    Mucousy diapers certainly aren't normal. We have been dealing with them and suspected an allergy (since he breastfeeds) so I'm doing an elimination diet. Have you changed his formula? Or maybe it could be a change in the water you're using? Or maybe he is developing an allergy to something and you could try Similac alimentum formula which is supposed to be good for allergies. If he doesn't seem dehydrated (google the symptoms) or unhappy you could probably wait it out for a few days and see if some of those changes help. But otherwise he needs to see someone. Could you call your old pediatrician? Ours is always good about answering questions over the phone. I'm not a medical professional so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have had increased mucousy diapers when he sucks on his hands more than usual. As for the diarrhea, I'm not sure, but as pp said, worth calling Ped about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Does your hospital have any nurses you can speak to? Maybe they will have a better idea?

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• Options
    edited October 2014
    My Dr isn't concerned about our baby's mucousy diapers. She says it has to do with immature digestion. Our older son also had a lot of mucous. She says as long as baby is gaining and happy then it is not a concern.
    ETA: I'd still check in with a medical professional who is familiar with your specific baby and circumstances. GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"