Cloth Diapering

Freezer meals

Give me your best freezer meal recipes or ideas, please! Bonus points for vegetarian and or healthy options. We are meat eaters here, so please feel free to still share those ideas also.

I've been doing a few precooked large meals every week that we can just heat up (lentil soup, turkey and bean chili, chickpea curry, meatballs, and will also be making pasta fagioli, asparagus soup, and possibly a split pea soup) but I need some more ideas and variety.
imageimageimage
imageimage
Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
It all revolves around you.
[Deleted User]blondolphn

Re: Freezer meals

• Oh and I forgot to mention I'll be making cubes of frozen pesto for pastas. I'm thinking of making some other frozen pasta skillet meals too.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    [Deleted User]EssJayCee
  • sarenu1sarenu1 member
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, I loved having meals I could toss together in the slow cooker and forget about all day.

I had chicken thighs, and beef stew meat in the freezer ready to slow cook.

I also made pot pie filling and froze it in servings.

You could also freeze chicken taco meat in serving sizes. Then you could make soups, tacos, or salads with it.
    Into+the+Kitty[Deleted User]
  • Loading the player...
  • I said i was going to do this while pregnant with harp but never did. I think i might this time

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Into+the+KittyElleBeeDub[Deleted User]
  • I really like this lasagna recipe.  It's homemade yet uses some prepared ingredients.  It's vegetarian but I had friends over who are major meat eaters and they loved it.

[Deleted User]Into+the+Kitty

• You're so much more prepared than I ever was. I always had the intention... I second the crock pot. Meatloaf? There's some site where you bag the ingredients for 9 meals and freeze it all and then just crock pot it or something. BSIL did it, if you're interested I can ask again what it was.
    My own BSIL posted this too haha. I'd prefer having something that's either frozen straight to oven or a fully cooked meal that just needs to be reheated. If I was doing a frozen to crockpot it would need to be vegetarian, because I don't like the taste of frozen, uncooked meat.
    I said i was going to do this while pregnant with harp but never did. I think i might this time
    I've been just picking one or two meals a week and making enough to eat that night and freeze the rest (sometimes multiple portions), so it's been pretty low stress and easy. When I get closer to D Day, I'm going to start focusing on making snack, breakfast, and lunch portions of things. Plus, it's a great feeling for my nesting urges each time I add something to the stockpile.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    ElleBeeDub[Deleted User]Mandmeesh
  • Meat balls and meat loaf. I made 4 mini meat loafs and froze them. They thaw a lot quicker that way. And the portions were perfect for 2 people and a toddler. You could probably precook and freeze them.
    [Deleted User]MandmeeshInto+the+Kitty
  • I basically hate anything casserole like so I don't like a lot of the typical frozen meals. So what I do is just cook and freeze meat. I buy ground beef in bulk brown it, and freeze in one lb portions. Since its cooked you can throw it still frozen in a skillet with pasta sauce, taco seasoning, etc. I do the same with chicken breasts.

Another idea is to make and freeze pizza dough.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Into+the+Kittytjkdlhb
  • Things like muffins, pancakes, cookies would be a good idea.
    I do chicken and rice and meatloaf.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
    ElleBeeDub[Deleted User]Into+the+Kitty
  • I've been doing the same thing, and hear you on preference for heat and eat over crock pot. 

Here's what I have in my freezer so far:
    Chicken and cheese enchiladas:
    -Ingredients:  Chicken, flour or corn tortillas (I find flour works better for freezer cooking), taco seasoning packet, Old El Paso enchilada sauce, shredded cheese
    -Bake and shred chicken (if you have a kitchenaid it works really well!), mix in taco seasoning.
    -Add a little bit of enchilada sauce to bottom of baking dish to prevent sticking
    -Roll chicken mixture in tortillas and arrange in pan
    -Cover with remaining sauce and top with cheese
    -Freeze and reheat before serving

Chile Rellenos casserole:
    Ingredients: Poblano peppers, taco seasoning, ground beef (we use venison), cooked rice, cheese
    -Prepare 1 cup rice
    -Brown and add taco seasoning to ground meat
    -Slice poblano peppers and arrange in baking dish
    -Top with meat, then rice, then cheese
    -Freeze

Chicken Parm Casserole:
    Ingredients- Chicken breasts, your favorite sauce, breadcrumbs, mozzarella cheese
    -Bake Chicken breasts and arrange in baking dish
    -Top with sauce, breadcrumbs and cheese (super easy!)
    -Freeze

Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells (with meat sauce)

Chicken, broccoli and rice with kale

Lemony Chicken and Spring Veg Soup

I also made big batches of homemade cheese ravioli, and potato and cheese pierogi and froze them. 

Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
    [Deleted User]Into+the+Kitty
  • Red beans and rice is great for this type of thing if you like that flavor :)
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

Into+the+Kitty
  • edited October 2014
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    ElleBeeDubkz's_girlygirl[Deleted User]Mandmeesh
  • abby8279 said:
    I really like this lasagna recipe.  It's homemade yet uses some prepared ingredients.  It's vegetarian but I had friends over who are major meat eaters and they loved it.

Does anyone have any ideas for something that I can sub for the ricotta in this? Would it be too dry if I just left it out entirely?
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • abby8279 said:
    I really like this lasagna recipe.  It's homemade yet uses some prepared ingredients.  It's vegetarian but I had friends over who are major meat eaters and they loved it.

Does anyone have any ideas for something that I can sub for the ricotta in this? Would it be too dry if I just left it out entirely?
    I like a thick bechamel sauce instead of ricotta in lasagna.
    ElleBeeDubInto+the+Kitty
  • My mom always used cottage cheese.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
    [Deleted User]bumpuser5078523
  • TJ1979 said:
    My mom always used cottage cheese.

This is even more disgusting to me. Lol I hate both of them.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    TJ1979[Deleted User]
  • I made a few of these, but haven't tried them yet because they have dairy. I was really excited about the French toast though so hopefully M can tolerate dairy soon.

https://thrivinghomeblog.com/healthy-recipes-index/healthy-freezer-meals-recipes/

I second the frozen burritos we do that al lot, breakfast ones are my favorite and it's so easy

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Into+the+Kitty
  • I love love love this site:

www.100daysofrealfood.com

not freezer-meal specific, but most of it can be frozen.

Frozen pancakes can be re-heated in the toaster.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Into+the+Kitty
  • I'm glad I've got a large chest freezer. :) Thanks for all the awesome ideas, ladies! I've bookmarked a ton of stuff.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    TJ1979bumpuser5078523Mandmeesh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"