3rd Trimester
Options

"Working out"

Hi ladies. I put it in quotes because I can't call anything I do that resembles exercise working out at this point.... I'm 35 weeks 6 days and since 32 weeks have been pretty much inactive other than daily walking at work and leisurely strolls outside as the weather cools down. I had a preterm labor scare with trabutaline to stop contractions, and it was immediately after a workout at 32 weeks, so I've been scared. Anyway, today I attempted to walk on an incline (9%) on the tredmill at home at like 3mph and could only walk for 10 minutes. Ok.... I know "out of breath" is normal at this stage, but holy crap. Is it really "normal" to feel like death after 10 minutes??? Before pregnancy I was a slim and muscular 105 lbs and I've gained 30 so far with this pregnancy. I ran marathons, boxed 6 days a week, and loved high intensity interval work. I can't help but wonder if my aerobic fitness has taken a turn for the worst... And worry how long it will last after baby is here. Exercise is like one of the only things that gets me through the winter blues each year, and I might lose it if I can't get that endorphin high this year whenever I get a break for the gym ... Especially with a new little one. Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm just worried and looking for advice/reassurance/something.
Team Pink!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: "Working out"

• Options
    I would vote get back into activity gradually - if I were you, I'd have skipped the incline this time or possibly even the time after that.

I think increasing speed vs difficulty (i.e. incline) would be a good start. Honestly, different women feel differently after different types of exercise, so it's hard to say what's normal and what's not. Feeling short of breath, is certainly not uncommon these weeks neither is feeling 'out of shape' towards the end. 

I walk 2-3 miles with my dogs every day or every other day, depends on how lazy I feel, we go fast but it's still walking, sometimes I feel out of breath, other times.. not so much, just depends on the day I guess.

Also, I do prenatal yoga twice a week - which is seriously so mild, it's not even funny, but is a great way stretching those muscles, so I'd suggest looking into a class in your area (or a video, though going to a class with other people is more appealing to me). A lot of places that offer prenatal yoga, also offer a 'mom and baby' option. Otherwise, maybe a jogging stroller? Or even just.. fast paced walking with little one in the stroller or a carrier/sling/whatever. There are definitely ways to work out, will it be cardio-kickboxing, 1000 calories burnt per session.. likely not, but I just wanted to give you some hope, there are definitely activities you can do with your baby in tow. Don't worry, where there's a will, there's a way! 

TTC #2

Cycle 1:   (January/February)                            Cycle 2:  (February/March)

O - CD17                                                     O - CD15
    IB @ 11dpo                                                            11dpo-13dpo spotting
    BFP @ 12dpo (late pm)                         AF CD28 (late 13dpo)                     
    13dpo = positive fading all day
    14dpo beta = 7.2
    AF CD32 - Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy

CYCLE 3 (March/April) 
    O - CD19 
    8DPO - Faint BFP on Wondfo
    9DPO - Neg. on FRER
    11 DPO - BFP FRER
    14 DPO - Beta 123
    17 DPO - 784, yay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was running in 10+ mile races until 20 weeks....then it all changed.  I started cramping during exercise and just generally didn't feel well.  I decided to hold off exercising for about 4 weeks and then got back into it slowly (just walking or the elliptical).  It is disappointing because I truly enjoy running, but I'll be back to running eventually.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Human body is amazing in that it really bounces back. If you were that active before pregnancy, you will have no trouble getting back to that shape again. It might be right after delivery or after a while, you will have to see. I was super active before and during my 1st pregnancy, hiking in the high mountains weekly till almost delivery, walking for 2hrs each day. I wasn't working and had nothing else to do really. Now with a much tougher pregnancy (really long MS, super hot summer through out, plus a hyper toddler to chase around) I haven't 'worked out' a single time. After I stopped being sick, I moved when I had to and now I lift my 30+lb kid all the time. Not a real workout but counts for something right? After my first I put ZERO pressure on myself to be back in pre-prego shape by any kind of deadline. A friend of mine who had a baby around the same time was running and skiing by 6w post partum. I was too tired and unmotivated. But all the weight naturally came off by 9-12m, and I was back to size 0-2 and fantastic shape (I'm 5 foot 9). Planning the same this time. Just give yourself time and don't stress too much. Oh fwiw, I hained 40+lb with each. And I know it will come off eventually.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"