July 2014 Moms

Swollen foot 3 months postpartum??

Is anyone else dealing with swollen feet or ankles this far after giving birth? I had I swelling when I was pregnant but both feet swelled up like balloons right after giving birth. They went back down within a day or two, but when I went back into the hospital with infection and was pumped full of antibiotics and saline my left foot swelled back up and hasn't gone down since (LO will be 3 months tomorrow). It is so damn annoying! I had my baby in the UK and had my 6 week checkup there, and they didn't seem concerned. They said to check back in a month or so if it hadn't gone down. In the meantime I've moved back to the States and couldn't get an appointment any earlier than the first week of December. I really hope I'm not the only one here :-( it is so frustrating. I want to try taking water pills, maybe that will help? I'm desperate to get my foot back to normal! :((

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Swollen foot 3 months postpartum??

• That sounds concerning. My feet were extremely swollen from all the fluids I received in the hospital, but it went away within a week. If you can't see a doctor, can you maybe try one of the clinics that some places like CVS or Walgreens has? Or an urgent care? Not sure on your insurance situation, but if it were me I'd want some professional to see.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered naturally but it was a really long labor. Had an epidural and forceps delivery. Then was in hospital for a week with infection. Will try lemon water and then MinuteClinic, then see what they suggest. Thanks guys!

• one sidded swelling is disconcerting. i had some after w/ high bp...still high. Do you have that too? hope its nothing!

ps never heard about post cs swelling, i had one 5 yrs ago w/out issue, a rcs this time. sine they've gone down, no swelling since.

drink lots of water!
    imageimage"">

• did you have a c-section? if you did you likely will have swelling on and off for the rest of your life (per my doctor) drink some water with lemon juice. helps a lot. if it doesn't go away I'd call your doc.

What? Why?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah still have it. I forget about it most of the time cuz it's only slightly bigger than my other foot and mostly feels normal. My doctors back in the UK had checked it a few times for signs of a clot (heat, redness,etc) and couldn't find anything abnormal. They had told me to wait it out for a bit. I still don't feel/see any of those symptoms. I'm assuming if none of those symptoms have shown up then it's probably not a clot. I just haven't had time to go to a MinuteClinic to sit and wait forever in their waiting area :-/ but I don't want to wait till my appointment in December so I should just go to the MinuteClinic

• Did you ever injure that foot or ankle prior to being pregnant? If so, excess fluid will be more likely to accumulate there than the other foot.

• No injuries to that foot, no high blood pressure either. I didn't have any swelling during pregnancy at all. I just had a med student friend take a look at it, and she said she didn't think it was because of a blood clot or anything dangerous, but most likely fluid that's just blocked up.

• Maybe try a compression stocking on that foot for a while to see if that helps improve it. 

• Yeah I was gonna get back into wearing a compression stocking. Meant to get some at target today but couldn't be bothered to look for them :-p

• The sock the hospital gave me felt like they just squeezed all the fluid from my legs into my foot. I wonder if there are better compression socks that take care of swollen feet and not just swollen ankles and calves?

• ^ what she said. They make compression socks for nurses and people who stand most of the day. You can buy them at a scrub store. You may be able to find them at some pharmacies as well. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"