3rd Trimester

Attending Wedding 1 Month After Baby

No idea how I will feel after I give birth. My friend invited me to her wedding which is 1 month from my due date. I have to RSVP soon and wanted some opinions as to whether its a good idea to go.

Re: Attending Wedding 1 Month After Baby

• Is it in town? Would you want to bring the baby?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• How far will you have to travel etc? Will it mean staying over night? Do you plan to bring LO? Are you planning on breast feeding? These are all things that need to be concidered. I have my nursing school graduation to attend a month after giving birth, it's 2.5 hours away so we will have to stay in a hotel, my parents are coming to the graduation and staying overnight so I know that they will be a HUGE help and will allow me and my partner to have a couple of hours alone. Although I'm still in debate about what to do regarding alcohol as I would obviously like to join everyone in celebrating but I plan to BF so I will just have to see how I get on with expressing closer to the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am planning to attend a wedding of a family friend one month after baby is born as well. The event is pretty casual and my husbands family will all be there. I plan on sitting in the back and if she is not sleeping/in a really good mood I will excuse myself before the wedding starts and attend the reception.
  • I was the matron of honor in a wedding 1.5 months after ds#2 was born.  It was fine (ds#2 didn't come to the wedding).

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I attended a wedding when DS was 3 weeks old with him.  It was my cousin's wedding so I had lots of family and DH and DD as well.  He slept a majority of the wedding and lots of people wanted to hold him so I could have fun and enjoy DD (she was 20 mos).  

I declined a wedding when DS was 5 weeks old because no family was going and DH was in the wedding and I knew I wouldn't be okay leaving DS and couldn't take him.  I think I made the right decision both times.  
  • I think the biggest question for me would be, is the bride okay with me bringing the baby?  I wouldn't want to leave LO alone but that's because I'm strictly breastfeeding in the first few weeks and wouldn't have a pumped supply yet to allow me to leave them with anyone.  Some people don't allow children at their wedding so that would cause me to decline at the moment.
  • It'd depend on location for me, as well as how close I am to said friend. Chances are, you'll be pretty tired. My idea of a good party, a month after my daughter was born, was a shower alone, an uninterrupted dinner with actual hot food and 4 hours of consecutive sleep lol But who knows, maybe I was just 'weak' that way.

Anyway, personally, I'd be more likely to decline going, just because I know that for the first 2 months I'm basically a shell of the person I used to be. If you think you can bring baby, you'll be comfortable socializing and juggling a newb at the same time and functioning on whatever sleep you got, or rather, didn't get the previous night - go for it, especially if it's close enough that you could basically excuse yourself, congratulate the couple and head off

TTC #2

Cycle 1:   (January/February)                            Cycle 2:  (February/March)

O - CD17                                                     O - CD15
    IB @ 11dpo                                                            11dpo-13dpo spotting
    BFP @ 12dpo (late pm)                         AF CD28 (late 13dpo)                     
    13dpo = positive fading all day
    14dpo beta = 7.2
    AF CD32 - Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy

CYCLE 3 (March/April) 
    O - CD19 
    8DPO - Faint BFP on Wondfo
    9DPO - Neg. on FRER
    11 DPO - BFP FRER
    14 DPO - Beta 123
    17 DPO - 784, yay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I went to a wedding when DD was 5 weeks old, and spent the entire time in the foyer and skipped the reception (she had colic though). I didn't mind though, so if this is something you don't want to miss try and make it work.

The only thing I'd be careful of is a lot of people holding and being around the baby so young with it being flu season

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was matron of honor for a good friend's wedding 2 weeks after I had my second daughter. I also exclusively breastfed. I had my husband bring the baby (kept her in her carrier) and I fed her before the ceremony, and before the reception started.

For me, it come down to how important that friend is. This was one of my best friends. Now we've been friends for 20 years. I would do anything for her and vice versa. I knew baby girl would be taken care of by hubby, so I didn't worry too much.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I skipped a wedding when DD was 6 weeks old mainly because she was such a pokey eater (like, one nursing session would last 2-3 hours) and I had no interest in sitting in a reception breastfeeding all evening - plus, I didn't have anything appropriate that I could wear that was formal enough and breastfeeding friendly. The idea of pumping extra for a week or two ahead of time for one 4 hour event instead was not appealing either (so maybe DD was pokey because my body is pokey?). I am sad to have missed the wedding, but comfortable in the choice I made to prioritize my personal comfort and breastfeeding relationship (which I had put considerable effort into at that point). 

So, with that grain of salt, I would RSVP no. First, because even if the baby is 6 weeks old, it will not have had any immunizations yet and it is flu season. Second, because there is a chance that your baby will be 2 or 3 weeks old and those first 2-4 weeks are a haze of weird sleep cycles and strong emotions. 
  • I will chime in from another direction. When DH and I married, a dear friend of ours had just had a baby a few weeks before. They did not attend and we completely understood. That said, I don't think I would be comfortable bringing a newborn around that many people. Folks at weddings tend to have a few drinks etc and may not respect certain boundaries when it comes to a newborn. If it is local and you can be away from baby for a few hours then go ahead for maybe part of the event but otherwise I would decline.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  •  Personally, I know that once I had each baby, I would have been way more happy just staying home in my sweats with a one month old. I was still a mess at that point and getting dressed up and going to a wedding would not have been fun for me in the least.

If there is travel, no way. If it's in town, then it depends on how sad you'd be to miss it. You'd have to bring the baby, but that young during cold/flu season makes me nervous. I'm kind of a germaphobe with my kids until their 2 month shots, but I know some people are fine going all over with babies.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are facing the same thing.  My husband is IN the wedding.  And we are having TWINS.  It is most likely going to be a local or nearby wedding.  It's a bit hard to predict how this will go, this is my first pregnancy, but currently we are planning to have my mother in law and my close friend from work watch the babies for the evening while we go.  I think if it's driving distance, you have reliable people to babysit, and you physically feel well enough, it's do-able.  
  • I'm in the same boat but I'm the maid of honor (ok, matron of honor but i hate that word). I have NO idea what size dress to get or even how I"m going to be 4 weeks post csection but... it's my best freind and I can't wait for her wedding!
    BabyFruit Ticker  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"