June 2013 Moms

Clicky Poll - Ebola

GraceInCAGraceInCA member
edited October 2014 in June 2013 Moms

Clicky Poll - Ebola 118 votes

I'm terrified. I'm considering a self-imposed quarantine.
0% 0 votes
I'm pretty scared. I feel like this disease is out of control and will spread fast.
13% 16 votes
I'm only mildly concerned.
29% 35 votes
I have no opinion on Ebola.
0% 1 vote
I'm not very worried. It's not an easy disease to transmit from person to person, and we have better outcomes than they do in Africa.
26% 31 votes
I'm not worried at all. You're more likely to die from flu, measles, enterovirus, or a number of other things. Ebola will be easy to contain.
23% 28 votes
Grace, I'm just here for Benedict Cumberbatch.
5% 7 votes

Re: Clicky Poll - Ebola

• I work in Dallas. I'm more than mildly concerned but I'm not staying home. If I lived somewhere else I'd be less worried.

• Not the least bit concerned.

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • @Lizzybizzy80‌ i would have laughed right in her face.

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • 34blondie said:
    Not worried. Enterovirus is my panic.
    Mine too. D68 is so much more dangerous for our babies, especially because the means of transmission are like other respiratory illnesses so it's so much easier to catch.

• I voted for Benedict. But I really am not scared at all

• I'm not overly concerned with ebola.
    I had a small 'Oh shit' moment when I heard on the news that there may have been 2 case's here in Portland Oregon, but turns out they just had the flu.
    ~sigh of relief~

I mean. ... it's scary stuff and it was a little to close to 'Home' For me.

• Not worried. Like I said in a previous post I worked for us customs and border protection in Toronto ( we screened passengers taking flights to the us). The whole SARS stuff went down when I was working there and there were cases in Toronto not to mention we came in contact constantly with people from Hong Kong transiting canada for the us. SARS was/is very contagious and it's airborne. I never got sick. Ebola is a lot harder to catch so I figure as long as I don't go to west Africa or touch somebody else's bodily fluids I'll be ok. Dh is a psychiatrist so in the even there is an ebola case in a hospital he works at he won't be treating them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm worried, but I'm a paranoid wreck in general, and am a former biodefense analyst (but with cultural expertise, not biological) and have nothing to occupy my brain with except SAHPing and googling sh!t, so I have just enough knowledge to freak myself out, and not enough to calm the f*ck down. Everybody I know who knows better (the psychiatrist I see for PPD who works in a hospital, my kid's pediatrician, my former biodefense work friends who majored in biology) says that we're OK in North America, and not to worry. So there's that.

I suspect that the US is only having any problem at all because a) lack of single-payer health care (the guy in Dallas wasn't treated with much concern originally because he didn't have insurance), and b) the hospital workers weren't given enough of the information they needed due to understaffing, top-down mistakes, etc. But this kind of thing in Dallas, while scary, will probably mean that these two situations will change for the better, at least for the duration of the situation, because an outbreak in North America is the last thing the authorities want. It's very bad for business and re-election and things like that.
  • I think the biggest issue is that the Dallas hospital wasn't adequately equipped or prepared. Atlanta has had multiple Ebola patients and no issues with medical workers being infected. It's because they specialize in this and are the most prepared, trained, equipped. I think the issue is more in the communication with Dallas and their staff and less in whether the CDC knows what it's doing.

I mostly just feel terrible for the nurses. I can't imagine going through what they are. And I feel bad for anyone else who worked with the Dallas patient - I'd be so paranoid, waiting for symptoms to show and my temp to go up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yakut said:

I'm worried, but I'm a paranoid wreck in general, and am a former biodefense analyst (but with cultural expertise, not biological) and have nothing to occupy my brain with except SAHPing and googling sh!t, so I have just enough knowledge to freak myself out, and not enough to calm the f*ck down. Everybody I know who knows better (the psychiatrist I see for PPD who works in a hospital, my kid's pediatrician, my former biodefense work friends who majored in biology) says that we're OK in North America, and not to worry. So there's that.

I suspect that the US is only having any problem at all because a) lack of single-payer health care (the guy in Dallas wasn't treated with much concern originally because he didn't have insurance), and b) the hospital workers weren't given enough of the information they needed due to understaffing, top-down mistakes, etc. But this kind of thing in Dallas, while scary, will probably mean that these two situations will change for the better, at least for the duration of the situation, because an outbreak in North America is the last thing the authorities want. It's very bad for business and re-election and things like that.

I disagree about the insurance too. There are so many people who to the hospital and are uninsured. My husband has a lot of them in his behavioral health unit and he treats him all the same. Besides, I believe that you have about 3 months after your hospital stay to apply for medicaid/insurance and the insurer has to pay. If he was immigrating to the u.s. And marrying a u.s. citizen, as the news has reported, he more than likely would have gotten medicaid or insurance.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @calikat80 YH cracked me up
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"