Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Grunting and Wiggling at night

Hello! I know it's common for babies to make a lot of strange noises while they sleep but my LO seems to be making more and more noises as the night goes on. She is sleeping in a bassinet next to our bed and when I look over at her she appears to always be sleeping and doesn't appear to be bothered by her wiggling/ grunting every few minutes, but it's keeping us awake for most of the night with all the loud scary noises! As soon as I pick her up she stops. We do have her swaddled but am wondering if she needs to be on an incline too? Was wondering if this could be related to reflux or just gas? She always burps well after feedings. Anyone have any suggestions/ thoughts?
TIA!

Re: Grunting and Wiggling at night

• The only reason DS grunts and wiggles is when he had a dirty diaper and it is bothering him.
  • My dd does this. Now that she is 8 weeks old, it is not nearly as constant as it was in the beginning. I think they grow out of it, or else I have just gotten used to it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like gas to me.
  • DS did the same thing, still does at 3 months. We had him in the crib from the start. I just turn the volume down on the monitor now so I don't hear every little wiggle, churp, etc. I sleep much better, but still with one ear open as I'm sure most mom's do :)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Same and we are contemplating moving him to his room because I am constantly checking him at night to see if he is ready to eat because he always sounds like it. I feel like I interrupt his sleep a lot at night to check on him because I think he is awake.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Newborns are noisy, yo.

• DD does the same thing, sometimes it's gas and other times it's just the newborn wiggles.
  • My DD does that, grunts, wiggles, squeaks, she makes so much noises that it's adorable and cute... but not when it's night time and trying to sleep!
    We started off by putting DD into her own room and we are so glad we started that.. with all the noises she makes it is the only way we can sleep!
    Now that we are traveling and visiting places we have shared a room occasionally and it's been brutal! So we are thankful she has her own room/bed at night at home!
  • My baby does this, I think it's gas, when he does it and I pick him up, he normally burps, then he's fine after that.  If I lay him down right after his feeding it normally happens more.  I try to wait at least 30 min after he eats before I lay him down.

My second angel!!!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited October 2014
    Nicb13 said:
    My son did this and that's why he went into his room when he was like 3 weeks old. He was far too noisy at night. My new baby is much quieter.

This exactly! Newborns are notoriously noisy sleepers. When she was in our bedroom neither one of us could get any sleep. She was waking me, which caused me to freak out and jump out of bed to check on her, that woke her up... It was a mess. Everyone slept much better once she moved into the nursery. Planning to do the same with baby #2 if she's so noisy too.
  • My son was doing this every night! He would be wiggling in pain and eventually wake himself up. It was definitely gas. I finally just bit the bullet and cut back big time on dairy and I think it's already helping. I also was taking an herb, fenugreek, to help increase my supply but found out it also causes gas (in mom too!) and after I stopped that I think it helped too!
  • I agree, it's a newborn thing and definitely gas. LO has what I call poop n' farts. Unwrap baby once or twice a night to change diaper and give her a chance to get those out. Also let babe sleep on its tummy for the last couple hours of the night if she just won't quiet
  • Our LO does this too, but it's usually gas, as it's accompanied by him lifting his legs up and pulling his knees to his tummy (like we do for him) in an attempt to expel the gas. (It usually works too and then he goes right back to sleeping like a little rock :D )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"