Toddlers: 24 Months+

Can we talk glasses?

DD suddenly started crossing her eyes last Friday. We have been petrified that she had a brain tumor, but ophthalmologist found today that she's farsighted. I guess all littles are to some extent, but she is more than others (+4 in both eyes) and since she's crossing it means her eyes are working too hard. So, she'll need to wear glasses all of the time. It makes me sad because she will hate them, and because she has beautiful blue eyes that will now be hard to see. But I'm glad we're getting her help. For those of you who have been down this road, any tips on helping LO to adjust? Any recommendation of brands or types that won't look awful or break all the time?

Re: Can we talk glasses?

• My DD is 3.5 and got diagnosed as farsighted with amblyopia in March.  She started wearing glasses a couple weeks later.  She actually does very well with them.  The first couple weeks we were very lenient about when she wore them and took them off but honestly after the first 4 or 5 days she didn't ask to take them off.  

Our ophthalmologist recommended miraflex glasses since they are rubber they are very difficult to break and bend very easily.  However, they are so big and clunky looking I just couldn't bring myself to get them.  We ended up getting a regular kids pair (that can break) from Vision One.  We let her pick them and we went with a purple pair with pink stars on the sides.  We also bought a strap to wear around the back so they stay on easier.   

I was also very upset when we found out she needed them but she has done great with them.  Since she has amblyopia (one eye is significantly weaker than the other) we have to patch her good eye every day and she HATES that.  I cannot wait until it is over.  But the glasses have really not been a problem.  I'm trying to attach a pic of hers.  
  • @ashiscute - thanks for sharing, she is ADORABLE. We ended up buying a pair of light purple frames with a little design on the side (not my first choice, but she loved them) and also a pair of light pink Miraflex for when she plays soccer and as a backup. This will take some getting used to, but we'll get there. I think in a year or two we'll buy a pair of wire ones as well.

• Loading the player...
  • DD1 was diagnosed at 14 months as being farsighted. She was in glasses immediately and started walking. Within the month! She is two and a half now and asks for them in the morning. It gets easier. I was also worried about her beautiful blue eyes being hidden behind the specs. Now all I see is her and I am thrilled when she points out birdies and tells me what she sees.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"