Pregnant after 35

late intro and crazy comments from coworkers

I'm very late to this- I'm due in mid-November. I'm 37 and unexpectedly pregnant with my second child, after struggling with infertlity for years with my first. We never really believed that we could get pregnant without doing IVF again, so surprise! I've been reading and enjoying this board for a while now, but until today for some reason I wasn't able to post.

On an unrelated note- I teach in a middle and high school, and the kids are very respectful, but the adults keep saying things that shock me. Am I being hypersensitive, or are they being extremely rude? What are some of the craziest comments you've gotten? Here are some examples from just the past week:

"When are you due? Wow- really? I can't imagine that you could possibly get any bigger!"

"You must be having a girl because your butt is getting so big."

"Well, aren't you turning into the chubby girl. Really, though, you're getting awfully big, don't you think?"

Re: late intro and crazy comments from coworkers

• Congrats and welcome (officially) to the board! :)  Wow, those people are jerks! Sounds pretty rude to me, sometimes people feel like they know you well enough to say anything. But you'll be on maternity leave soon, with a new baby and they'll be stuck at work, so :P to them! Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out! :)

ME: 38, DH: 42, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
    BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
    TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!!

image BabyFruit Ticker
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome! Yeah people can be total jerks! I would just ignore it. I'm sure you look lovely and totally appropriate for the stage of pregnancy you're in. And you don't have much left to go so don't let it get to you. :)
  • Welcome and congrats. People say the darnedest things
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Welcome and congrats on your surprise!  People seem to forget their manners when it comes to a pregnant lady.  I am early on and haven't told anyone yet but I've been pinning things on Pinterest for a little while because we were trying.  this morning I had a message on FB from an old coworker telling me that she noticed and wanted to know if I had "news"...um pretty sure since you are barely an acquaintance any more that you'll find out any news with the rest of FB when the time is right!
  • The butt one made me LOL! What are people THINKING? Welcome. I am huge (can't believe I have 12 more weeks!!) and if I had a dollar for every time someone asked about twins or suggested my due date might be wrong, I'd have a new car seat paid for. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Welcome and congrats :)

Wow those people are tactless.  I have to endure all kinds of 'advice', including from non-mothers.  Luckily, nothing about my body yet.
  • So rude. I actually have no idea how I would react but I wouldn't put it past myself to say something like "it takes a lot of space and energy to nurture a baby; at least it's temporary, unlike the problems you seem to have with chronic rudeness/inappropriate comments/awful hair/body odor/halitosis."
  • Welcome and congrats! I get rude comments the other way..lol. " are you sure your eating enough?" Oh your pregnant" , " you should eat more" etc...women can't win either way! Haha
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • I'd love to give you a classy retort, but the only response I can think of, might make some ladies blush..  :D
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
      Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Welcome!  It really is amazing what some people think they can get away with saying to a pregnant lady.  It's like tact and decorum go out the window just because you are pregnant.  When I was pregnant with DD I had some random guy in an elevator try to get into an argument with me telling me that DD was a boy.  At this point I was 40w pregnant, huge and really just wanted her to get out.  We'd had a few ultrasounds and all were positively team pink.  This guys really seemed to think that he knew best and to top it all off he then gestured about how incredibly large I was.  Thanks random guy, I couldn't tell!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • WOW. They actually SAID that stuff to you? Me being a moody crazy pg woman right now-- I would not tolerate that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"