April 2015 Moms
Options

What upsets you the most that your children won't get to experience things you had?

kier23kier23 member
edited October 2014 in April 2015 Moms
Looked but didn't see this done before...for instance I am a 90's baby and we had some pretty bad ass shit that our children won't get to experience or have...for instance, the tv shows I had growing up, it upsets me that my children won't get to experience that, instead they get the dumb shit like "all aboard the Choo Choo train" ...what ever happened to super nintendos, sega, Face, little bear, and like cat dog and shit lol....anyone else feel this way? Or what is it that you wish was still around..

Again edited because my fingers hate me.

Re: What upsets you the most that your children won't get to experience things you had?

• Options
    @QSB heard that about the technology....my step son who was 5 at the time got a brand new ipod touch from my mother in law because he wanted it...with his own money he just bought a new nintendo 2ds (he bought it so can't complain there) but now she thinks he needs a new Kindle fire for Christmas this year...I'm sitting here like are you fucking nuts? The child is 6 why does he need both?...not to mention when he received the ipod he wasn't excited or anything because he knew he was getting it....I'm flabbergasted because I didn't get my first ipod till I was 18 and bought it my damn self..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It only seems special because it was your childhood... in 30 years your kid will be saying they're sad their kid won't be watching Sofia the First, or whatever.

And anyways, with the magic of the internet and Netflix and such, your kid can experience tons of old shit. My daughter watches Blues Clues. That's pretty much the main kids TV show we watch for her. It's educational and therefore less likely to give her ADD ha. It's from the late 90s, but it's on Amazon Prime Instant Video
    I totally agree I just think it is interesting to know what all these ladies wish their children had.... i also have a love hate relationship with Netflix ever since the fiasco with the original mighty Morphin power Rangers lol one day it was there and the next it isnt... and unless I'm blind I haven't seen it since :(
  • Options
    kier23kier23 member
    edited October 2014

kier23 said:

@QSB heard that about the technology....my step son who was 5 at the time got a brand new ipod touch from my mother in law because he wanted it...with his own money he just bought a new nintendo 2ds (he bought it so can't complain there) but now she thinks he needs a new Kindle fire for Christmas this year...I'm sitting here like are you fucking nuts? The child is 6 why does he need both?...not to mention when he received the ipod he wasn't excited or anything because he knew he was getting it....I'm flabbergasted because I didn't get my first ipod till I was 18 and bought it my damn self..

Um, what's wrong with a book?
    If that's towards the Kindle it's because he doesn't use it for reading...he uses hers to play games all day long....trust me if it was for books I would be on board with that 110%
  • Options
    kier23 said:

It only seems special because it was your childhood... in 30 years your kid will be saying they're sad their kid won't be watching Sofia the First, or whatever.

And anyways, with the magic of the internet and Netflix and such, your kid can experience tons of old shit. My daughter watches Blues Clues. That's pretty much the main kids TV show we watch for her. It's educational and therefore less likely to give her ADD ha. It's from the late 90s, but it's on Amazon Prime Instant Video
    I totally agree I just think it is interesting to know what all these ladies wish their children had.... i also have a love hate relationship with Netflix ever since the fiasco with the original mighty Morphin power Rangers lol one day it was there and the next it isnt... and unless I'm blind I haven't seen it since :(
    I keep seeing infomercials for MMPR.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Options
    I will say I have those things but the ipod was the first "big" thing I bought myself so that was a big deal to me and my fiancé got my Kindle for me for Christmas one year so I could save money and get my books for school on there..and honestly I probably would be ok without a smartphone but with not having WiFi all the time and family living 6 hours away it makes it easier to connect with them when I'm not at home...
  • Options

kier23 said:

Where are these infomercials that you speak of? ....lol I'm a MMPR nut I still have the movie recorded on VHS somewhere I believe but just in case I would love to find another one.
  • Options
    JLaudio said:

I hate how wrapped up in technology our world today is. I want my kids to enjoy being outside playing, making things up, using their imagination. I LOVED running through the woods when I was a kid, my girls would get lost and start crying, rather than it being an adventure. I also hate that their dad encourages the electronics, he got a 5yr old a Kindle Fire HD last Christmas, she does not need that. Luckily, it didn't take long for it to be broken, perfect example of why a 5yr old didn't need a Kindle.

That's my view on why my 6 year old step son doesn't need one... for one kids these days do not appreciate those things and if it breaks it's like oh well I will just get a new one or its ok I still have this blah blah blah....
  • Options

Kind of related...

I converted to Judaism, so I sometime have short bouts of sadness that my kids will never have that Xmas eve/Xmas morning excitement. I don't agree with celebrating it as a secular holiday, even though that's more how I was raised to celebrate it. I feel we have so many Jewish holidays that we can celebrate that we don't need to chime in on Xmas just because it's popular.

All that said, I still get the feels from time to time. Maybe when the kids are older, if they express an interest in celebrating secular Xmas we can cross that bridge when we get there.

Kind of related?.....that's totally related!!!
  • Options
    kier23 said:

kier23 said:

Where are these infomercials that you speak of? ....lol I'm a MMPR nut I still have the movie recorded on VHS somewhere I believe but just in case I would love to find another one.
    I couldn't tell you what channel but it is on the unseemly hour of sometime between midnight and 5am.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Options
    I think it's weird that, my kids at least, will never grow up with a land line phone! I also think about how much technology has changed since I was a kid (so late 80s and 90s) and wonder how everything will change when my kids are in their 20s. The first tv I remember having was a huge box with a dial to change channels. It's came a long way in less then 30 years.
  • Options
    Neon spandex - I hope those come back in in the next year cuz I rocked mine so well!!
  • Options
    I think it's weird that, my kids at least, will never grow up with a land line phone! I also think about how much technology has changed since I was a kid (so late 80s and 90s) and wonder how everything will change when my kids are in their 20s. The first tv I remember having was a huge box with a dial to change channels. It's came a long way in less then 30 years.
  • Options
    I honestly hate how dependent kids are on electronics! Its rediculous! I mean it's great that kids are able to advance so quickly but come on now, no little kid needs an iPod, iPad, kindle, smart phone, Xbox 1/PlayStation, etc.

What happened to our e Nintendo 64s and colorless gameboys? Ferbies that you spent hrs trying to see if you got lucky enough to get one of the ones that said cuss words. The bears and dogs that you cold color on then your mom could wash it off.

Keenan and Kel, All That, rugrats, original Power Rangers, FACE, Doug, Hey Arnold etc, granted I do use our Netflix like crazy instead of the garbage kids shows on nowadays but it doesn't have everything and our DDs grandparents don't have it and the in-laws let her watch w/e bc that's what everyone else does...ugh I don't want my kids to have syrup for brains and no attention span whatsoever.

Can we just have our fun awesomeness back? I think its wonderful we've been able to make such progress but can we just slack off on the little kids?
  • Options
    I feel that they won't spend as much time outside. I was outside everyday during the summer, from dawn to dusk, riding bikes, playing with neighbor kids. I always say I have an amazing imagination and I credit it all to the fun summers I had as a child. DH and I plan on making our kids play outside and limiting their time inside and with technology. I'm not a fan of all the technology that kids have these days. I was at a bbq recently and this one little boy wanted to play and wrestle with the other kids but they were to busy playing on an iPad. One was 2 1/2 and the other 4. I believe in the educational benefits of them but I also feel they make are kids less social. Just my opinion on it. I think I might invest in one eventually but not until they are a little older.

So many things my DH and I want to do with the kids like board game nights or card nights when they are older, and having a craft/coloring time. Another favorite childhood memory of mine is coloring with my mom in the evenings. I plan to do the same, as she does that when my little cousins come to visit or stay the night.
  • Options
    I don't know... I was a 90s kid but I played Atari at my grandparents and bought a Nintendo when I was 18-19 (in the 2000s) for hella cheap. What I'm saying is you can introduce your kids to awesome stuff you had: movies, music, books, games, toys.
  • Options
    The saddest thing to me is how my kids won't have grandparents. Kind of what @QSB‌ started to say about the baby boomers generation being selfish. They really are- my mom has said it her self and admitted to being a bad parent and grandparent to my brothers kids. That and with divorce most kids won't have a grandpa at all.

• Options
    You can watch all that old shit online. There's no reason your kids have to miss out on it. I'm a 90's kid but I actually grew up watching cartoons from the 40's and 50's like Betty Boop and Felix the Cat because that's what we had on VHS. Of course I loved the modern day ones at the time too. My fav was Sailor Moon. I tried showing that to the kids at work but they totally didn't get it :-(

Me(24) DH(26)/Married since March 2013
    BFP#1 February 18th 2014/EDD October 27th/MMC discovered at 10w/D&C April 7th 
    BFP#2 July 24th 2014/EDD April 4th 2015/Please be our RAINBOW!
  • Options
    I don't feel sad about my kids missing out on 80's or 90's stuff--it seems to me like the stuff our parents used to say we were missing and we would roll our eyes at them.  It reminds me of this: 

Parents are so old, yo.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't want my kids to have iPads and mobiles for as long as possible. I guess I want them to know what it feels like to not be tied down to a device.
  • Options

Hanson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE

You know you all wanna listen to it now.  You're welcome.

Omg. Thank you!

I used to sit and wait for hours for this video to come on MTV!!! I guess our kids won't have that sense of anticipation when it comes to things like this as they will be able to just download things instantly
  • Options
    nomesynomesy member
    edited October 2014
    I hate that they won't appreciate having to wait a full 60minutes for a 'cassette tape' to load your game on your Commodore 64, you totally did not take that for granted once that thing loaded you played it for hours, until you realised you wasted an hour loading a piece of poo. And while you were waiting you were watching stretched out snow ridden video tapes and listening to the latest Rick Astley record. Yep I'm an 80's kid, dare I say my kid is not going to have my phone as a baby sitter , I spent 33 years watching technology change so much and appreciating every little grateful bit I got to the point that I do not want my screen broken by a toddler .
  • Options
    Oh and they will probably never understand corduroy pants and how unfashionable and noisy they are
  • Options
    RHoPA1109 said:

Along the technology line...I feel bad that they won't have the opportunity to do semi-dumb things without risk of it being online forever. I had so much fun as a teen, I was wild but not over the top, but definitely wouldn't have wanted it out there for it to possibly hinder future opportunities. I'd be naive to think my future kid won't get into at least a few things I don't want them to get into.
    Also, Lite Brite. I spent hours poking lights into that shiz.

They have mini versions!!! I bought one for my step son a few years ago thinking he would think it was the greatest thing ever like all the kids I grew up with but no he didn't...it also prolly didn't help that I forgot you had to put black paper in it and so my first design I was like wtf is wrong with this thing lol
  • Options
    @Swoon13‌ hugs I feel the same about my child not knowing my grandpa...my grandma is still around but we don't get along much so after my grandpa passed the only time I talk to her is when I see her in wal-mart...pathetic I know, however I have hope my child will know my grandpa since children are more open to things around them I feel that they can connect with paranormal things, my nephew is one of them and also the reason I have hope for this,...he never knew our papaw and the way we say my step dad's name (it sounds more like pop pop) are clearly distinguished and one day my nephew said that papaw was there and my sister was like where and he pointed to absolutely nothing..also when he sees his picture he yells papaw.....so hopefully your child and your mom will get to know each other in ways you will never know :)
  • Options
    I grew up in rural Arkansas in the 80s. It was nothing for me to disappear on my bike after breakfast, during the summer, and return at dark. it makes me sad that my kids won't know that sense of adventure. I know there are places that you can still do this, but we don't live in one.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    I am sad my LOs won't know what it is like not to always have to be watching behind them. I  grew up in the late 80s where my sister and I played outside until the streetlights came on, we walked/rode bikes to and from school by ourselves, would go to parks and have picnics with 1 or 2 same age friends, knocked on stranger's doors selling GS cookies  ect. without thinking about it. 
    These days as a mother I feel it is my responsibility to make sure my kids are aware of their surroundings and how unsafe things can be. While I never want to scare them or have them fear strangers, I feel I need to prepare them and keep a closer eye on them then my parents did. 

Along those lines, I agree with @redheaded14. It makes me sad no one memorizes phone numbers anymore. What would happen if a cell phone was lost/stolen/broken and kids needed to call someone for help? (My kids will memorize important numbers) 

...I guess the news was a little scary this morning. 

• Options
    I hate that my kids won't know what it's like to be able to play outside for hours on end, not worrying about being snatched up by a creeper, until the streetlights came on, We grew up semi in the country and from the time we got home from school, we were outside. All over the place. Never once were our parents concerned about us being taken, the biggest worry was what injury we were gonna come in the house with or what tree we were gonna get stuck in. I'm terrified for my children with some of the crazy stuff going on in the world. And yes, I realize that makes me sound close to 83 year olds lol.
  • Options

I'm probably going to be that 'mean mom' because I, personally, don't believe in giving the latest gadgets to littles. That's how I was raised, and I turned out just fine ;-) My kids will play outside when it's nice.

I know a 2 and 4 year old that each have their own iPad. Not going to happen with my kid(s).

I agree that my kids won't know life without excess technology. They won't know what it's like to research for a paper in the library.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I want my kids to grow up in-distracted by technology. I got kicked out of the house after breakfast, came home for lunch, and then not again until the street lights came on. All the kids on my block played together every day. We had foot races, rode bikes, roller bladed, went swimming, climbed trees, etc. I didn't get my first phone until high school, didn't get an iPod until I bought it myself, and I didn't get my first tablet until a couple weeks ago when my husband bought it for me. I read books and did normal kid stuff. Not to mention the kids shows on tv nowadays suck terribly, so really I'm going to look for the shows I watched when I was younger like bear in the big blue house and out of the box.
  • Options

I'm probably going to be that 'mean mom' because I, personally, don't believe in giving the latest gadgets to littles. That's how I was raised, and I turned out just fine ;-) My kids will play outside when it's nice.

I know a 2 and 4 year old that each have their own iPad. Not going to happen with my kid(s).

I agree that my kids won't know life without excess technology. They won't know what it's like to research for a paper in the library.

I'm gonna be joining that mean mom club... with me step son I don't have much of a say and even if my fiancé says something his mother does it anyways ...I can understand maybe having a game boy when your younger or something to do in the car but not all the other gadgets so if she even thinks of getting my children things like that when I say no hell will break loose!...her philosophy is all the kids have them and that's what they use in all the schools now...uhm no and no lol
  • Options
    I hate that my kids won't know what it's like to be able to play outside for hours on end, not worrying about being snatched up by a creeper, until the streetlights came on, We grew up semi in the country and from the time we got home from school, we were outside. All over the place. Never once were our parents concerned about us being taken, the biggest worry was what injury we were gonna come in the house with or what tree we were gonna get stuck in. I'm terrified for my children with some of the crazy stuff going on in the world. And yes, I realize that makes me sound close to 83 year olds lol.
    Rates of kidnappings by strangers etc have not really changed since you were a kid. The only thing that changed is that now we have CNN to play that shit on repeat 24 hours a day. The world is not really more dangerous for kids than it used to be, we're just more paranoid.
    Touche! Thanks alot, CNN! Haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"