Babies on the Brain
Options

Preconception question

My husband and I are excited for what the future holds, and talk about our future family frequently.  Though we are not currently "trying" to conceive, I am reading up on preconception material and am finding a multitude of valuable information.  That being said, there are certain things I wonder about that I have no direct experience with.

My question is, how many of you who are trying to get pregnant, are pregnant, or have given birth did the preconception exam?  If you did it, did you feel it was beneficial?  In what ways?  To those who waived the exam, are you satisfied with that decision and why?

Thank you in advance for your insight, ladies!

Re: Preconception question

• Options
    I've honestly never heard of a preconception exam until another post on this board today.  I've had yearly well woman check-ups and the occasional physical, but don't see the point of an exam with the sole purpose of trying to conceive.  If you believe there may be an issue that could be worsened by pregnancy than by all means speak with your doctor.  But otherwise it seems like your yearly exam would be sufficient.  

So, clearly, my answer is that no, I did not get one.  Heck I didn't even have a prenatal exam in the first trimester with either of my pregnancies.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I didn't have a preconception exam, I'm still TTC. I did talk to my OB when I was in for my annual exam. She pretty much said start taking PNV and good luck. If you aren't due for your annual exam I would say don't bother with it. Good luck to you!

Me: 31 DH: 39 
    Married: April, 2014 
    TTC #1 since July 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had one before my daughter was conceived.  The doctor prescribed a prenatal (I ended up taking the Target brand anyway) and I had a blood test (I hadn't had one since childhood) that came up fine.  Can't say that the preconception appointment is necessary but can give you  peace of mind if that's what you're looking for.
    Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

• Options
    LOL "waived" the exam as though it is some prerequisite.

At my annual GYN appointment we knew we wanted to start ttc within the next year. So it came up but I didn't make some special visit. That would be dumb IMO and I have no idea what people plan to get out of a pre-conception appointment. Unless you have a known issue that needs treatment or show some really odd signs (off the charts blood pressure) there is nothing they can do for you really. If you are due for a pap smear I would go get it done before getting pregnant because if you think it's uncomfortable now, just wait until your cervix is swollen with blood and way higher up... and how freaked you will be about spotting afterwards. I know a lot about fertility and was temping when I went to that appointment, so she basically just said good luck and told me to start taking a prenatal which I already was. But I stayed on prenatals as a regular vitamin throughout all of the time I was using birth control just in case. It is more important to be on vitamins for the months before ttc than after you get pregnant. 

At my first prenatal appointment I asked quite a few questions to see if my GYN would be a good fit for delivering my baby. She was a great gynecologist, but I found that I meshed better with midwives for our birth plan and prefer more one on one attention. So I stopped seeing her after 12 weeks and doubt I'll ever go back to a traditional gyn again if midwives are an option. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think people do these visits becuase they are excited to ttc but may still have a few more months before they want to start trying... so it feels like something they CAN do right now and get a little thrill out of it. I honestly prefer not going to the doctor and would prefer to go out for pre-conception wine and sushi. Maybe that's just me. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I went for one as it's what my doctor had recommended.  For me it was kind of useful in the fact that I had my doctor's full attention and was able to ask a lot of questions - most of which I probably could have found on the internet.  They also ran a blood test on me to make sure all my immunizations were current, but I would imagine your primary doctor could do that as well.  I don't have a co-pay and my doctor is only a few blocks from my office, so it was no big deal for me to go.  I think you can be just fine not going, unless you are on medications and in that case, I would definitely consult with your doctor before TTC.  And start the PNV now, they do more to help you/your baby in the weeks prior to knowing you are pregnant.

Me: 30   DH: 33

TTC #1 since June 2014

Baby #1 coming March 2016

My Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Mine was a complete waste of time, and I ended up leaving with the impression that the Doctor thought I was wasting her time. She did tell me what meds I needed to get off, so that was useful. Other than that, she said she would see me back when I got KU.
  • Options
    stemi has a good point - if you are taking meds that you are concerned about then I would get a doctors opinion a few months before ttc. This wouldn't warrant a visit though, just a call to the office if this is a doctor that has seen you before. I wasn't on meds, have a regular cycle, etc. so there was literally nothing they could have said other than "you look healthy. Good luck!" and collect the co pay. So unless there is something you need a doctor's opinion on, I would just go for your regular pap/annual exam if you're due or skip it if you aren't. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I did a preconception appointment, mainly because the last time I went in for my annual was nine months prior and I had told the dr we werent thinking of having kids. I am taking an SSRI and wanted his opinion on whether to stop right now, stop when I get pregnant or whether to stop taking it all. I also wanted to know, based on my medical history (he's been my OBGNY for like 7 years) how long he thought it would take to conceive. If you're not taking any medications right now or you know the ones you're on can be taken during pregnancy, I wouldn't bother scheduling one.
  • Options
    Hello, I'm in the same boat. Not actively trying but getting ready. Need to find a obgny? Or should I get a BFP before I see the dr? Welcome any updates or thoughts.
    Together since 09-20-1999 & Married 09-20-2008

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:

Sauterne said:

Hello, I'm in the same boat. Not actively trying but getting ready. Need to find a obgny? Or should I get a BFP before I see the dr? Welcome any updates or thoughts.

Please tell me you've been getting regular Paps since becoming sexually active?  I know GPs do them, but I've always gone to an OB/GYN so I've had one since I was 18.

I am not the poster in question but I am 27 and have only been to a GYN once. Since I was 18 I have been going to nurse-midwives for my PAP smears, birth control, and well woman care
  • Options
    Been getting regular paps, who doesn't lol... But not by a specific ob/gyn, just a general family physician who's seen me for over 4 years. I'm not considered high risk nor abnormal, just regular in all respects.
    Together since 09-20-1999 & Married 09-20-2008

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Jennypolkadots, that response was perfect, and the wine and sushi was pretty much exactly what my husband and I discussed before we TTC.  Plus a coffee date of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"