Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

nervous about bedtime

I guess I'm trying to look for comfort/advice, and I want to know how to deal with getting through the night with my baby sleeping. He's four days old and I have him sleep in a bassinet with nothing but the little mattress cover. I also put him in a sleeper and lay right next to him. I get up every few hours to feed him but I'm still so paranoid that I'm sleeping as well. I guess because I'm a new mom I'm terrified something will happen to him while I'm not awake. What could I do to get through this? :/ especially since my boyfriend works midnights and is going back tonight leaving me & baby alone for the first time...

Re: nervous about bedtime

• Options
    You'll gradually get more comfortable. I did it the whole first week and then started sleeping better. I still wake up at least once usually now that she's sleeping longer 6-7 hour stretches. It's a mom thing. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Options
    Agree. Your mom ears will kick in and you'll hear him. I'm already a somewhat light sleeper. I turned the monitor volume down so I wouldn't listen to every little squeak he made at night. The first few days I would immediately grab the monitor to check him. We put him in his crib from day one and we both survived. I was a wreck in the hospital, but being home made such a difference for me. Like pp said, just give it a couple days and you'll be fine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How about one of the SIDS monitors if thats one of your concerns? My gf used one for her LO and she said it gave her a little more peace of mind. I think it's also just a 'new mum' thing and you will get used to it. Good luck and congrats on your new arrival.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PP. You will never get a good nights sleep because even though you feel like you are dead asleep from being so tired, every little squirm or grunt will wake you up. DD is 11weeks and I still wake up the second I hear her, even if it's a little squeek. I know it's scary but you can do it! Your mommy instincts will kick in. 
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    definitely a new mom thing, before I had my son, I was able to sleep through anything, you name it stormy nights, car alarm going off endlessly I would wake the next day w/ my hubs wondering how it was possible bc he was up all night.  once I had my son, any whimper , cry, sound from him and I jump up... dont worry no matter how tired you are you will hear your LO.  it truly is mother's instinct it really just kicks in.  you will be fine trust us.
  • Options
    Thank you guys. He doesn't wake up though unless I get him up. I guess it's the thought of not hearing him that freaks me out. I'll definitely have to look into a sids monitor and see if that's what I need..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"