Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Is a swing and a bouncer necessary?

courtneydupcourtneydup member
edited October 2014 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
Do I really need both? I don't really understand the difference between the two...Opinions?

Re: Is a swing and a bouncer necessary?

• Options
    Not necessary, but they come in handy IF your baby likes them. A swing has a larger footprint, but it rocks your baby front to back or side to side, depending on the swing. Some can do both. A bouncer is a seat that doesn't move by itself, but usually has the option to vibrate. They do make swing/bouncer combos now, too.

Not all babies like them. We got both as gifts, but rarely used the swing and only occasionally used the bouncer. I suggest borrowing one from friends or buying used to make sure your baby likes it first. If you want a brand new one, get it from a store that has a good return policy.
  • Options
    Thanks! My main concern was the space issue...currently living in a condo and I just feel a little overwhelmed with the amount of things that are needed.  Maybe I will put both on my registry and if I get both then great! If not, I will buy used.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Neither is necessary but they are useful. With my first DD I had a 2-in-1 Graco swing and bouncer. Front to back swing with the seat that popped out and became a standalone bouncer. Used them both for a few months. Bouncer became more useful later on, i was able to bring K with me to the kitchen when making dinner to to bathroom when I showered.
  • Options
    We have both. The bouncer so far has been the most useful. We put her in it when not in the bedroom. The swing right now is a little too much stimulation as she's only a week old. Hopefully she will like it when she's a bit larger. Both were gifts.
  • Options
    I agree that's it's not necessary, but they have saved me from going completely insane on many occasions. I received our bouncer as a gift and the swing I bought used at Once Upon A Child. They both came in handy for different things and it gave DS a variety. As I look back, I'm grateful that I had both.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited October 2014
    No guarantee your kid will like them. I agree with getting them used. My almost 7 week old hates being out down on her back and will only stay in her swing 5-10 minutes at a time before she freaks outc ff, IF that. It's just not soothing to her. She stayed in the bouncer seat while I folded laundry this morning, but I was right next to her talking to her the whole time. While pregnant I thought our swing would be the miracle way I got things done or showered, which is nothing like how it's actually gone.

Buy used and take the money you'll save and buy a good, comfortable baby carrier.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    Very few baby items are true necessities. We have both and used them a lot. The bouncer was portable so I could easily bring DD into the bathroom while I showered. We could bring her into the kitchen while we ate dinner etc. The swing was the only place she napped longer than 20-30 min. If you get a swing, make sure it plugs in.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    We had both but my son didn't really like either. BUT, we wouldn't have known he didn't like them if we hadn't had them! So there's your catch 22. Enjoy :)
  • Options
     I used and loved both. I had the swing in the kitchen, the babies all loved to go for a ride while I was making dinner and we were eating. The bouncy chair was a great place to put them down when I needed free hands.

That being said, the swing took up a lot of room. My kids are older and that swing is gone, but I've borrowed one for this baby that is HUGE goodness! The fisher price one. I also saw that they now make small portable swings, which is what I would have used in the abovementioned kitchen had they been available then. I have room now and it was free so I'll try it.
  • Options
    My kids didn't like either one. DS was willing to endure the swing from about 6 weeks to about 3 months. So we got a whopping 6 weeks of use out of it. DD acted like we were torturing her if we put her in either. And I have uber-happy babies. They loved play gyms. Hated seats that moved in any way.
  • Options
    My baby loves the swing, but we've never even used the bouncer! I'm glad I bought it used from a consignment sale for $20. I usually put her in the pack n play or swing when I need to put her down and we're not in her bedroom. 
  • Options
    Babies are all different. My son LOVED his bouncer....and spent a total of 15 minutes in his swing. Luckily, we picked ours up (both things actually) at a yard sale so it wasn't a huge heartbreak.
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If size is your issue, the swing does take up a lot of room. The bouncer is usually small. If you want a swing, you can register for a portable/travel swing. They're shorter and smaller, but have the same motion. 

We used both. The bouncer was much more important. We used the swing just for naps (we were pathetic and so bad at sleep training. Our baby didn't sleep through the night til 15 months!). Anyways- the swing is nice to have but can create bad habits if you're not careful, so if you had to pick just one I'd really vote bouncer. I put my daughter in the bouncer so I could shower every day- it was awesome. She was so happy. 
  • Options
    My baby hates both right now especially the swing. She actually tolerated the bouncer for 10 min today - maybe we're turning a corner. She'd rather just law next to me which is fine

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    It does depend on what your LO looks but they do actually do different things. The swing is for swinging and soothing (more or less) and the bouncy is more for entertaining and sitting in to be part of family activities. Perhaps more importantly is generally more mobile so you can take it from room to room. (Imagine trying to use that bathroom with a lo who doesn't want you out of their sight for instance) a bouncy can also go places like the kitchen table so they can see you cooking from a safe distance. My dd *needed* her swing during daily grumpy time and was inconsolable without it. Likewise u would have been inconsolable without the ability to say take a shower. I actually got a la siesta hammock swing that takes no batteries and comes apart into a very compact bundle, it actually takes up last space than a travel swing folded up for swing time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"