Birth Stories
Options

Warning: my story is a sad one.

gingerygirlgingerygirl member
edited October 2014 in Birth Stories
It's been a month now and I feel like I can finally talk about it. But I have no one I feel I can talk about it to. And so, my story will be told to you ladies if you will hear it. I need to tell someone; I at least need to know my story is out there.
If you are one of those ladies who is extremely emotional or paranoid or terrified that something will go wrong, leave this story now because it does not have a happy ending.

My due date was December 24, 2014. On August 29, I had a checkup with my doctor and we had an ultrasound. Everything looked great. Baby was on the bigger side for 23 weeks and had a nice strong heartbeat. She was growing at a good rate and I was feeling great.
August 30, I worked all day from 10am-7pm. A very long shift with only one 30 minute break to sit down. When I got home my feet were killing me and my lower back ached like no ones business. Fast forward to later that night, hubby and i laid down to go to bed. I was tossing and turning; I just couldn't get comfortable. My lower back still had that persistent throbbing ache. I eventually drifted off to sleep thinking about my baby and wondering why I hadn't felt her move much all day.
August 31. 4:00am. I woke up. I had this weird pain like a mix between really having to pee and being really hungry. I got up and went to the bathroom. I checked the toilet paper out of habit, nothing unusual. I went back to bed. I was finally falling asleep again when I felt that pain again. Okay, definitely not a normal pain. Something was wrong. I knew it. I woke up my husband and told him what was going on. He told me to lie still and take deep breaths. It would probably pass. Hah, yeah right. Ten minutes later, same pain, more intense. Okay, now it's time to wake mom up (we lived with my parents at the time). Go downstairs. "Mom, wake up. Something's wrong." My wonderful mother. Mother of 6 children. She knew what was happening. She had me lie down and we started timing the contractions. Average of 1.5 minutes long every 3-ish minutes. Call the doctor. "Get to the hospital, NOW!"
In the car. Why is the hospital so far away? Only 15 minutes. Drive faster, Mom. Pain...pain...pain...oh please, God, no. Help.
5:30am. We arrived at the hospital. They got me in a room. Fussing and fussing with equipment and monitors. They strapped round things to my belly and then I heard the most wonderful sound. Baby girls heartbeat. Strong and healthy. A quick examination, cervix is fully closed. Good. But I am still in full out real time labor. They gave me pills and a shot in my butt. They told me it would slow and hopefully stop the labor. Meanwhile, an ambulance from St. Mary's, an hour away, was coming to get me. They have better NICU equipment.
They moved me to a different room. Pain...Pain...PAIN! Holy pain! These were so much worse! I thought you said the medicine would slow the contractions, not make them worse!
Check the cervix. Still closed. Ten minutes pass. Check cervix again. Fully dilated. Wait. What? In ten minutes? What does that mean?
"I'm so sorry. This baby is coming now. We can't stop it."
No. No no no no. No please, God, anything but this. It's too soon. Too early. She's not ready. She can't survive yet.
Five more minutes. My water breaks. Gross. It felt like I peed myself. People standing around talking. Woah. WOAH! "I feel something!!" It felt like something solid and slimy was sliding down my inner tube. Come to think of it, that's kind of exactly what it was. My doctor hurried over to look. "Here she comes." I hear. One more contraction. Didn't even have to push. Plop. There she was.
10:25am. 1lb 4oz. 11 inches long. Arms waving. Mouth wide open, trying to scream. Then she was gone. They took her away. No, come back. Let me see her. Bring her back. No. They had to take her. They had to save her. She's alive. She's still alive. There is hope. They can save her.
Waiting. Waiting. I'm so tired. I think I passed out.
An hour passed before my doctor came back in. She told me they had done everything they could. As of right then, she was still alive. Tubes and wires were keeping her heart beating. But I had to make a choice. A terrible, terrible choice. They could keep working on her. Keep her alive. But she would have horrible health problems for all of her life. Probably brain damage. Her organs were damaged from lack of oxygen. Or, they could bring her in to me. Let me and my husband hold her for her last moments. Spend some time with her. What could I do? I could never condemn my precious daughter to a life of misery. I decided to have them bring her to me.
Oh, she was so beautiful. Emma Rose. That's what we named her. My sweet little Emma Rose. She looked so much like her daddy. Her eyes were still sealed shut. I don't know what color they were. She was the most beautiful little girl I have ever seen.

If you read this all the way to the end, thank you for listening to my tale. Over a month later and I can still hardly believe it happened. It's still surreal.
Take care of yourselves, ladies. And kiss your children for me.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Warning: my story is a sad one.

• Options
    Dear gingerygirl,
    I am so sorry for the loss of your little daughter!
    Thank you for sharing your story with us!
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing Emma Rose's birth story. I am so sorry for you and your husband's loss.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss. Wishing you and your family the best in this difficult time. 

• Options
    I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Emma. Thank you for sharing your and Emma's story.
    baby girl  5.12
  • Options
    I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Emma. Thank you for sharing your and Emma's story.
    baby girl  5.12
  • Options
    I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I think you are very brave to share your story. I hope that you and your family are getting the support that you need during this difficult time. Hugs. 
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss.  I'm sure she was beautiful and what a lovely name you chose.
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself. Your a brave mom!
  • Options
    @gingerygirl‌ , I still think of you all the time. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort, you and your husband are in my prayers.... Emma Rose really was a beautiful baby, it is just too sad for words that you lost her so soon :-( Do check out the loss boards if you havent already. The women there are very supportive and can understand.... (((hugs))) from my heart.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. My heart goes out to you and your family.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for the loss of Emma.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    So sorry for your loss! Will keep you and your family in my prayers! Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    What a touching story. I am so sorry for your loss of baby Emma Rose. Stay strong, darling. 
  • Options
    There are no words, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    CD 3, FSH of 15, E2 67, AMH 0.43, LH 6.2, normal HSG test
    DH good count but low volume, 87% motility, 1% morphology
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN
    IVF# 1 Jan 2014, 225 Gonal F, 225 Menopur, Ganirelix, 4R/3M/1F w/ICSI - PUPO!

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    How brave you are to share your story with us all, and condolences for your loss of your beautiful Emma Rose. Big hugs to you and your family xxx
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet
    Emma Rose. Thoughts and prayers for your sweet family.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am so sorry for your loss of Emma Rose. Sending lots of love, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
  • Options
    Heartbroken. It is not fair. I hope your dr was able to provide answers for you and you are healing from this. :'-(
  • Options
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Emma. Thank you for your courage to share this story. Hugs to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story of your beautiful Emma Rose with us! I'm so very sorry for your loss.
                                     *******SIGGY WARNING/Chlidren mentioned***********

ME: 41 ----- DH: 43
                                                       MARRIED: 5/3/14
                                                   DS,17   DD,16   DD,12   DS,10
                                                               TR: 4-2-12
                                             TTC our 1st love child! No luck so far! 

• Options
    You, your husband, and Emma are in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Options
    Sorry sweetie. Prayers and thoughts being sent your way
  • Options
    Emma rose is the most beautiful name. Thank you for telling your story, you are very brave.
    Width="630"

• Options
    So sorry for your loss :(
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your story.
  • Options
    Heart breaking story. I'm so sorry.
    Pregnant with #3, after thee, three's complete!!
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss <3
  • Options
    I am so sorry. 

Thank you for sharing your story. I hope you are healing.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I pray you and your hubby find peace.
  • Options
    I know I'm a little late but I couldn't not read. I'm so sorry you went through such a horrible thing. I cried the whole time. I'm so sorry you poor lovely woman. You would have been an amazing mother. You will get your time. Please please keep going. Keep trying. Don't give up.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry.... This story made me cry. That's so heartbreaking.... I hope you have your rainbow baby when you are ready.
  • Options
    I've avoided reading this story until now, when my daughter is one month old. It made me bawl with you, I am so so sorry and you are so brave to write it all down. You will get your chance, I can't imagine the fear you must've been feeling. I hope you're healing well now.
  • Options
    4736747367 member
    so sorry for ur lose..be strong
  • Options
    Truly a bitter sweet tale love, you gained your self an angel now. My cousin had went through the exact same thing with her son, he fought the good fight as did your daughter. She must have been beautiful. I can only imagine feeling how you do, due to the fact I just had a baby girl a month ago, and I also was having complications with my little one during pregnancy. May you have a blessed life Hun, and my prayers go to you and your family.
  • Options
    I am so, so sorry for the loss of your precious baby.  Thank you for having the courage to share your story.