Cloth Diapering

BFing question

My milk came in about 4 days ago, but it seems to have come in unevenly. One boob just always seems to be full. It pretty much stays engorged, and never feels empty. 

I feel like I need to nurse on that side first every time, but I am afraid of messing with the supply of the other side. I am also afraid of ending up with clogged ducts or mastitis because that one boob is never emptied all the way. (I usually only really nurse on one side- I offer the second, but not much interest)
Should I pump on the full side just to get it emptied all the way, or will that encourage that side to keep making more? Should I just keep alternating and it will work itself out, since its only been a few days?
Married 6/18/11
BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: BFing question

• TJ1979 said:
    Keep alternating. Pumping would encourage even more milk.

This. Maybe soy lecithin if you're worried about clogs?
  • Loading the player...
  • We talked about engorgement at the last LLL meeting I went to.  There's some people who subscribe to a "pump to reset" theory.  The idea being that you pump to empty ONCE and then try and stay on top of feedings evenly.  The thought is that emptying the breast once is not going to encourage the over-supply cycle if it can get you to a place where you can nurse effectively off that side and to kind of reign it in so to speak.  SO you could go whole hog really empty it out and then keep on top of starting there first every other session or whatever you need to do to keep it under control.  But you can't keep doing it or you will end up in the oversupply circle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The first week my over achiever breast was so full and painful, even after he nursed. I pumped both sides once a day, but I made sure to not empty them so I didn't encourage an oversupply. It slowed down after a week or so.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• I think it's supposed to. I do know that if you empty the breast as much as you can, it will make them think they need to produce more.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• lbs2012 said:
    I would often nurse on the same side for a couple of feedings and then the other side for a feeding. My right is still fuller and has a faster flow than my left. Even when I pump, so little comes out on the left. I was told that if one side is really full, the other side will scale back production but I don't know how accurate this is. If one side was uncomfortable I would pump a couple ounces to relieve the pressure and didn't see any ill effects.
    How do you know?  If the right side is still fuller, then how do you know that the pumping a few ounces to relieve the pressure didn't attribute to it still being a fuller boob?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • FWIW I started with the same type of situation, and has massive oversupply. I was told to let it regulate itself and try not to favor me side. She said if I was uncomfortably engorged between nursing sessions to take a shower and hand express just enough to relieve the engorgement. My supply regulated itself.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
    [Deleted User]RachelCA29
  • I think both frequency of stimulation and draining till it's empty play a role in establishing/keeping up supply.  Fully draining (like during a growth spurt) signals your body that more milk is needed at that time.  Frequent stimulation keeps up the BF'ing hormones and tells your body that the milk it's currently making at that time is still needed.  

I'm in the camp of only pump if you are in pain, and then only remove enough to feel comfortable.  Your body will get the picture that you don't need that much milk and regulate itself.  It is however normal to have an overacheiver and a dud.  You can do things to encourage the dud to make more and the overacheiver to make more, but I don't think you have to.  I agree with Flum on trying lecithin if you are concerned about clogs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

[Deleted User]
  • I had the same problem when my milk came in. It was so bad on the right that DS couldn't latch even if I hand expressed some. I finally pumped just a few ounces off that side in desperation, just once. It allowed him to latch so I could more effectively use both sides. I only needed to do it that once to relieve the pressure. That side is still my super producer but not too much more than the other side.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I guess I will just keep on what we are doing, and I do have some lecithin I can take.
    Married 6/18/11

• I have one mega boob and one pitiful boob. I feed two kids off of 95% one boob.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    [Deleted User]
  • Think this is related?:
    I have 3 little lumps/knots in my armpit on that side. When the first one showed up I thought it was an ingrown hair or something but its bigger and now there are 3. They are about pea sized and not visible. They are a little painful- feel kinda like a big zit under the skin or something.

Could it be clogged ducts that far up or does that sound unrelated?
    Married 6/18/11

• If they are really up in your armpit like where your hair is, I'm not sure its likely to be clogged ducts, but I get a large lump/sore spot just in front of and under my armpit when I get really full. Its outside of the hairline of my armpit though. Just in case you could try some warm compresses and massage them while you are feeding or pumping.

I'd think its more likely to be skin/hair related if its actually under your arm though . The warm compresses would still help with that. 

How many times can one say "armpit" in one post?
    mrshudson618
  • It could be. It could not be. Hard to say. :)
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first guess would be lymph nodes or ingrown hairs.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • When my milk first came in, I had some really sore hard spots under my arms. The LC told me they were ducts that we "don't use anymore."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"