Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Does Paraguard really allow fertilization?

I don't know if that was exactly how my Dr. said it.  But she said something like the lines of that....Paraguard either allows fertilization to take place or conception she said, and due to that reason she does not provide Paraguard to her patients.  Now I have had Paraguard after my first son and I absoluetly loved it!  I have since switched doctors and clinics and after my second child I was looking at getting another Paraguard when she brought up that she doesn't do Paraguard and only offered Mirena.  I have been trying to find some info online about this but I have not been able to find anything about this.  The reason I really liked Paraguard is because it was hormone free and it wouldn't affect any hormone levels and would allow me to get pregnant quickly after removal vs having to have my hormones straighten back out.  I just assumed hormone free was better if it was as effective as the other why not.  I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this about Paraguard because it really took me by surprise when my current doctor told me this and I haven't been able to find any proof to back this up.  I have the Mirena now but I still really wish I had the Paraguard.  I just seem to have some more headaches with Mirena than usual.  Was just wanting to see what you all knew about this.  My doctor says it allows something to happen--whether she said fertilization, attachement or true conception I don't remember--- and due to that with religious beliefs she doesn't provide it to her patients. 

Re: Does Paraguard really allow fertilization?

• Options
    ^^^^  What PP said.  I would NEVER tolerate a doctor who lets this sort of belief affect treatment. 

• Options
    From paraguard's website:
    Paragard® works by preventing sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg, and possibly by preventing the egg from attaching in the uterus. And because it’s 100% hormone free and doesn’t interfere with your natural cycle, you should still get your period. Bleeding or spotting might increase at first, but should decrease after 2–3 months.

Your doctor is referring to the part about not allowing the egg to implant. The egg can be fertilized in some cases, but your body won't allow your uterus to hold on to it. It works in more than one way, like most contraceptives.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LittleAppleLittleApple member
    edited October 2014
    Conception could happen, but your body will reject it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"