Infertility
Options

TSH levels?

I am currently between cycles and trying to focus on getting healthier, working out more, eating better, possibly losing some weight too. With that being said, I have always suspected that I have had a thyroid issue because I am always cold (specifically, my hands and feet are ice cold), have year round dry skin, thinning hair and I have a hard time losing weight. I know these symptoms could be nothing, but I started researching TSH levels, specifically with regards to infertility and IVF. I found that some doctors won't even attempt IVF unless TSH is under 2.5, which has me further concerned about my level.

In February of this year I had complete blood work done before moving to my RE. My TSH was tested, it was 3.77 which falls in the normal range for some doctors and is high for others. My doctor said this was normal and nothing else has been done (and I didnt think much of it because my doctor said it was normal).  I did not have T4 or T3 testing done.

For those of you that have experiance or knowledge about TSH/ Thyroid issues, can you  let me know what I should get tested and what questions I should be asking my doctor to rule out any issues? I am seeing my doctor tomorrow and would like to be as prepared as possible.

Thank you!

** Losses Mentioned **
Me(32) - Low AMH (0.46) and DH(33) - All good!
May 2014 - IUI (Follistim) = BFP! Ectopic. Surgery June 2014.
August/Sept 2014 - IVF #1. BFP! Chemical Pregnancy.
November 2014 - IVF #2; ER only - PGS testing 3 Frosties.
December 2014 - FET #1 - Beta on 12/17!  BFP  *It's TWINS*

image        image      image  

Re: TSH levels?

• Options

@lemonliz - thank you for the information! Both my OB and RE have ordered TSH testing, and the results were both very similar - neither doctor had an issue with my levels. Both old school, I suppose :)  I am glad I noticed it and I hope that addressing it will at least give me piece of mind.

Thank you!

** Losses Mentioned **

• Options
    I would push to retest. My RE will let you cycle with anything under 5, but he medicates anything over 2.5. (Like, mine was 4.something and he gave me Synthroid, but if it's not at the ideal spot yet, I can still move forward with IVF (unless it gets over 5).
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was tested before starting IVF and my TSH was 3.4 so they put me on levothyroxine because they want it under 2.5 for pregnancy. I had it rechecked after 6 weeks (which happened to be the same day as my first beta) and it was down to 3.04. They increased my dosage because pregnancy usually elevates TSH so often you have to increase your dosage. I'm hoping when I get it rechecked that it's closer to 2.5. They aren't rechecking for another 6 weeks and didn't seem super concerned that it was 3.04 but they still would like to get it down further.

I've gotten my thyroid tested multiple times and have never been told (even by another RE) that it was too high. This doctor is different and the new threshold is becoming more the norm. If I weren't ttc and/or pregnant then I wouldn't bother with medication. But in pregnancy my doctor said a TSH over a 4 isn't good.

So I would definitely inquire about going on levothyroxine!
  • Options
    mariana81mariana81 member
    edited October 2014
    I had the same problem, my TSH was 3 and before starting the cycle my RE put me on levonthyroxine, the lowest dose, and now my TSH is 2.3. My RE said that 3 is normal but for ivf purposes, she preferes TSH<2.5.
    Maybe you should ask about it...
    TTC since May 2013, w/ RE since July 2014

Me: 33 Poor responder, Low AMH
    DH: 32 Severe MFI 
    09/2014 IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - 2 immature eggs
    11/2014 IVF #2 - Micro Flare Lupron - 3 immature eggs
    Please forgive my writing mistakes, english is my second language.
    imageimage

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I will definitely be asking about this tomorrow.

** Losses Mentioned **

• Options
    lemonliz said!

And also...just as more info...my current RE wants mine under 2.  My first RE wanted it around or just under 1.  

I would definitely ask whether they might consider treating you with Synthroid.  Also, assuming you are successful, it is very likely that your TSH will shoot up with pregnancy.  So, might as well get a jump on it now.  :)
  • Options
    Newbie here, even with us not moving forward with IVF till I lose more weight, RE put me on Synthroid to even me out in preparation as she stated that often high thyroid levels can increase M/C

i lowered it to a 2.2 with diet and exercise before meeting my RE....Re did my levels and found that I was at 4.18 so I was cycling high and low for awhile. In under a month Synthroid brought me down to a 1.18 I think?

Hope it helps, it also has made me feel better.

Any of you ladies still experiencing hair loss following Synthroid?
    Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

MFI, 50k sperm frozen, RE requires weight loss before our first cycle of IVF so now we wait.

(+20 = total loss)

• Options
    PAIF/ Ticker warning ****

I have Hashimotos hypothyroidism.  I cannot get pregnant with levels over about 2.0 and I can't maintain my pregnancies when they get over that range either.    You really need  a full panel with T3/T4 and antibodies tested to get a true picture!  This should be standard!  I feel SO MUCH better  when my numbers are under 2.0! Like night and day!  You may have to push your doctors on this one-- be your own advocate! Also do your research regarding TSH new standards etc.. 

here is a good link  https://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/labs2003.htm

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    Many have already shared, but I'd look further into this. My RE wanted my TSH under 2.5, and my Endocrinologist thinks it should be closer to 1.
    TTC since May 2012
    Me: 32 H: 31
    DX: MFI-Very Low Count, I have Hashimotos.
    IVF prep September 2013 cancelled due to Ovarian Cyst
    IVF #1 October 2013 Antagonistic Protocol with ICSI  ER 10/31/13 (18R 16M 11F- 6 blasts to freeze)
    ET delayed due to OHSS 
    FET scheduled for July 8. Delayed due to a crazy high TSH (it had been under control for YEARS!)
    FET #1 8/5/14 sET BFN 

All welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"