Pregnant after 35
Options

Carseat covers?

My SIL was going to give me her JJ Cole Bundle Me she used last yr for her son. I was lurking on another board and someone provided an article that those are not safe and interfere with the harness.  Don't know how to link article. I know a lot of pp use those and they sell them at BRU. I know I've seen others that use those shower cap covers that go over the car seat or just fleece. I am so confused!! Thank goodness I will only need for a little bit since I'm due end of Feb.

So should I not take the Bundle Me from my SIL??

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
     image   imageimage

Re: Carseat covers?

• Options
    I've never heard about them being unsafe before. I was planning on getting one since we are due in January and live in Boston. Will definitely do some research on this and very curious to read what others have done. Thanks for raising this!
    ***signature/ticker warning***
    Me:37 DH:39
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

Diagnosis : Unexplained Infertility

3 BFN rounds Clomid + IUI
    IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
    FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We've always just used blankets. I haven't heard too much about them. But we live in the south so winters are not as hairy as they can be up north.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    BeckyP005BeckyP005 member
    edited October 2014

@Lady2010 someone posted the article on LGBT board. When I was scrolling down Winter gear for babies caught my eye on the right of the main screen so I clicked and was reading the post.

I think a lot of pp use those Bundles Me's. I assume if not safe they wouldn't sell them? What do I know!

Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    @hikerlady ok thanks. That's what some articles say. Ugh who knows. This is all so confusing.

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    We took an infant care class which said don't use anything that doesn't come with the car seat....Basicalky just use blankets . That said, not sure what I will do. You'll get all sorts of answers depending on who you ask!!

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options
    I got this for lo due in jan. I got it at garage sale new 2 dollars. I will put it over her before getting out of car, visiting, mall etc so car seat harness isn't issue. Our car seat class said nothing but what went with car seat too, but was like toy attachments, snow suits, mirrors, etc. here is pic similiar to what I got. Edie Bauer..image
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Options
    yeah I heard they were unsafe as well and void the warranty on your car seat.  We decided to skip them as we don't have the brutal winters usually.  Although last year was crazy.  That being said I don't plan on taking my babies out during the winter months unless it is doctors appointment (down the street)  or my parents house (down the street).  I just registered for some nice heavy carseat/stroller blankets.

I would accept the bundle me fro you SIL and keep doing some research. Not sure if/when you are going to interview pediatricians but that might be a good person to ask or if you plan on taking any classes at the hospital etc...  Even if you don't use them in the car you might use it when carrying baby around or on walks etc....

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options

I had one of these with my last baby and I liked it.

https://www.carseatcanopy.com/cart

The only thing was if it was crazy windy it would blow up sometimes. I still tucked blankets around her. It was also nice that if I was in the store and she was sleeping, I would cover her up. Without it being on top of her and worrying that she would be to hot. Sometimes I would cover her just to keep crazy people and there germs away! Lol! You can find coupon codes and get them for pretty cheap.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
     I have heard that now you are not supposed to use anything that comes between the baby and the seat (unless it comes with the seat like the newborn insert with my Chicco). I found this out after I wondered why you don't see the thick snowsuits with the slit for the carseat buckle anymore-a friend who is a certified carseat tech told me.

I'm due Nov4 so will be all winter with the infant seat. I got a shower cap style cover for the seat and will use receiving blankets as well.
  • Options
    It is clearly a hot topic right now. A local mom's board (not bump) had info on the same thing - how to keep baby warm in he winter (live in Boston). A couple people recommended this link

https://csftl.org/hello-winter-good-bye-coats/

Basically says no more than 1/4 inch thickness is safe. And how to test to ensure the straps are tight enough like @hikerlady‌ suggested.

Also the JJCole will work if you are just putting the seat on the stroller - so good to have since she is giving you hers. (Just not for use in the car).
    ***signature/ticker warning***
    Me:37 DH:39
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

Diagnosis : Unexplained Infertility

3 BFN rounds Clomid + IUI
    IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
    FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

After posting this I'm like I'm due at the end of Feb so it's not going to be freezing cold for very long lol.

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    NO NO NO. Items like car seat covers - which did not come as original equipment with the seat - are unsafe because they have NOT been crash tested. There is no way to know how these items will perform in the event of a crash. A car seat cover can be slippery and cause the kid to fly out of the seat or it can make it so that the straps don't tighten properly. I would NEVER suggest using anything with a car seat that did not come with it originally. That means covers, plastic things that go underneath the seat, mirrors, toys, window shades that roll up and use suction cups to stick to the window (these items ALL become dangerous projectiles during a crash), etc. Check with any car seat technician and they will tell you the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"