Babies: 0 - 3 Months

weird sounds while drinking from bottle normal

I have a 1 mo old and alternating bw bf and bottle with mixed formula and breast milk.  When I feed her from the bottle, she makes a weird clicking sound with her tongue and makes a mess with milk dripping out of her mouth. I even sometimes hear her stomach making a weird noise as she's swallowing.  She doesn't spit up and she burps well.  I use the Avent bottles with the newborn (0 size) nipples. Do I need to change bottles, is this normal, or don't worry about because she's ok?  My first DD didn't do that but she had a totally different issue with reflux.  Just wondering how others are taking to bottles. thanks
Baby Birthday Tichttp://www.thebump.com/profiles/junebug555/settings/avatar/Index#ker Ticker

Re: weird sounds while drinking from bottle normal

• I'm also using Avent (natural) bottles with my 1 mo and he slobs it all iver his face and neck by the end of the feeding and I hear lots of noises in his stomach. I attributed the sounds to being all the air he must be taking in. (He also does this when I use the Medela bottles) He seems to burp pretty well though and is doing well. I think at most it's just frustrating because of the mess he can make lol. But I'm a FTM here so would also love to see others opinions on this. :) I've considered trying a different bottle like dr browns but wasn't sure.
  • One of my 8 week old twins was doing the same thing with the clicking tongue. My night nurse told me it was because she was keeping her tongue up on the roof of her mouth and the nipple was going under her tongue. I now just make sure that her tongue is down before I put the bottle in her mouth and I haven't heard clicking noises since. Hope this helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • My 3 month old does the same thing and the nipple is above her tongue. My sister is a night nanny and said some babies have a bad bottle latch. Ours has had a bad latch since day one. It causes a lot of gas, she also has reflux.

When feeding, you can hold a finger under baby's chin to keep the mouth closed onto the bottle if needed.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I'm using the same bottles and it happens with my little one - thinking its normal.
  • My LC said if baby is making a clicking noise, it usually means the flow is too fast for them, and they are trying to slow the flow with their tongue, so they don't choke. Do you have the lowest flow nipple? If so, have you tried paced bottle feeding?
  • I do have the lowest flow nipple, which i believe with the avent bottles is "newborn".  Not sure what paced bottle feeding is, but I do take the bottle out of her mouth to re direct her a few times. it doesn't help much.  She's not an excessively fussy baby yet so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.
    Baby Birthday Tichttp://www.thebump.com/profiles/junebug555/settings/avatar/Index#ker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"