Pregnant after a Loss

Spotting after internal ultrasound?

Hi, ladies. Didn't think I'd be posting again tonight, but after some mild cramping immediately following the internal ultrasound today, I'm now having some brown spotting(approx 8 hrs later). I use progesterone gel, so the (sorry for tmi) liquidy discharge from that is tinged. I'm not letting this worry me too much at the moment (surprisingly), but since I won't be able to talk to my RE until Monday, I can't speak for my PGAL brain I'm the next day or two. Any experiences to share either way? How to know when spotting isn't just spotting? Thanks as always!!

Re: Spotting after internal ultrasound?

• I've had spotting after internal ultrasounds and exams before.  My ob always warns me that it might happen and not to panic.  Spotting is always scary, but often is the result of an irritated cervix after an internal us or exams.  My understanding is that severe cramping and/or bright red bleeding with or without clots is what is concerning.  When I asked what they meant by "severe" they said a 6 out of 10 on the pain scale.  Hopefully it will be gone in a day or so.  If it doesn't go away or turns red then I'd call to be safe.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
    BFP #1 9/27/2013, EDD 6/10/2014, Mmc 11/01/2013, completed with misoprostol 11/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/5/2014, EDD 10/15/2014, Lillian Verletta born 10/23/14
    Daisypath Friendship tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PAL January Siggy Challenge: Good Advice
  • My cervix was irritated after my ultrasound and pap last week. I had some light bleeding, which turned brown and then went away. My doctor warned me that this would most likely happen, and told me ahead of time not to worry. 
    DH diagnosed with testicular cancer 6/04/10
    Married DH 8/1/11
    7/21/13 SA poor morphology/ low count
    BFP #1 11/18/13, EDD 7/22/14 
    MC Blighted Ovum 12/4/13 @ 7wks
    BFP #2 8/21/14, EDD 5/1/15 

All Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you!! I'm surprised my RE didn't warn me about it. I've had several internals before, but it's my first time spotting. The only time I've had spotting before is the day or two leading up to natural miscarriage... I'm feeling so positive about this pregnancy, so I'm going with cervix irritation. Thanks again for sharing!
  • I had the same thing happen last week after my internal u/s - I noticed some brownish tinge and small clots mixed in with my progesterone residue. Never a fun sight to see but the nurse said it was totally fine. It lasted for about 4-5 days actually but all gone now. Sounds like there is nothing alarming! I know that is easier said than done.
    PCOS & ute crew member
    BFP #1: 10/24/2012  EDD 7/3/13, missed m/c @ 9 weeks, D&E 
    DX: Septate Uterus. Septum resection 6/4/13
    BFP #2: 12/20/2013  EDD 9/1/14, missed m/c @ 7weeks, D&E
    BFP #3: 5/26/2014 EDD 2/7/15, missed m/c @ 9 weeks, D&E- DX Trisomy22
    RPL, Karyotyping, and SHG: All Normal
    BFP #4: 9/6/14 EDD 5/16/15 Praying for our RAINBOW!
    Baby GIRL on the way!!
    **All AL Welcome**

• Thanks @alleycat39‌ , that sounds exactly what I was having last night. Seems better this morning, but I haven't been moving around much yet.
  • chickinNH said:
    I had the same thing happen last week after my internal u/s - I noticed some brownish tinge and small clots mixed in with my progesterone residue. Never a fun sight to see but the nurse said it was totally fine. It lasted for about 4-5 days actually but all gone now. Sounds like there is nothing alarming! I know that is easier said than done.
    That is exactly what has happened to me before in the past and never ended up being problem.  ((Hugs)) OP!

Agreed with both posts.

If you are also using progesterone suppositories, the likelihood of irritation is higher as well.  Spotting is perfectly normal after an internal u/s.  However, you should still mention it to your OB so she is aware.

BFP#1 - M/C on 12/23/13
    ~*~*~December 2014 PGaL ~*~*~
    Rainbow baby born on 12/19/2014

• I always got extra bleeding after internal exams, ultrasounds, whatever. Hugs to you!
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Thanks to you all! :) It came back last night with cramps, but I haven't seen any today thankfully. I'll definitely be more prepared if it happens again after an ultrasound. MH is too nervous for sex... this definitely sealed the deal for him!
  • I had spotting after each internal u/s. My doc said that was normal from bumping the cervix and not to worry. (I know easier said then done!)
    -Megan

Started dating Hubby May 17 2005. Married since Aug 20 2011 
    Me:30   Hubby:31
    TTC since May 2012 
    HSG Dec 2012 Fill no spill on left side, right side normal (most physically painful experience of my life..)
    Metformin Started May 2013
    PG#1: BFP 10-21-13. EDD 6-17-14 mmc 12-9-13 m/c occurred with cytotec on 12-11-13 
    PG#2: BFP 07-25-14.  EDD 4-5-15   *Hoping this is my rainbow*
    Diagnosed with PCOS, Hypothyroid,IBD/UC, (UC in remission as of July 2014)
    *I will always love you Fetey the first.* 

ALL WELCOME!

• I have cramping and spotting after internal ultrasounds also. I also have spotting after intercourse, it appears everything is irritable to my cervix. I was told this is all normal. 
    I am also on vaginal progesterone, and I think that contributes to the sensitivity as well by heightening it. (I can't wait to be done with that stuff, although I am grateful for my reason to use it!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"