Working Moms
Options

Grand Rapids - Probably my first of many what do you know about this place posts….

Anyone familiar with Grand Rapids?  Love it?  Hate it?  What are the schools like, etc.?

DH will be job hunting for the next few months.  We are trying hard to stay in our current area but have to consider other options.  He had a phone interview for the perfect job last night but it is located in Grand Rapids.   So far away, so cold……..I am up for an adventure but I am terrified of making the wrong decision.

Re: Grand Rapids - Probably my first of many what do you know about this place posts….

• Options
    My in-laws live there and DH grew up there. DH likes it and wants to move back, as long as we can stay 1/2 hr away from his parents (he is more concerned about them intruding than I am). I like it, but have only been there to visit the in-laws. It's got colleges, a nice downtown, and it's a good size (traffic's not bad, housing's not bad, but it's not so small that you have to drive somewhere else to shop.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I went to college there and loved it! There is always something to do. The winters can be brutal though...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I think in terms of our family, we could be quite happy there. I would basically have to walk away from my career (not sure if that is what I want) and it is far from our aging parents:-(
  • Options
    Love Grand Rapids! It's such a clean, fun city.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options

I live in the GR area (suburb to the north), and I love it!  I've been in the GR area for 14 years now and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  (Although I've lived in Michigan my whole life.)  Yes, winters can be brutal - you'll want at least one vehicle with AWD at a minimum, but the changing of the seasons is great, and being 45 minutes from the lake is wonderful.  Personally, I wouldn't send my kids to Grand Rapids Public Schools, or schools in the Kentwood or Wyoming areas, but many of the suburbs have top-notch schools.  My kids are in the Rockford school district, and we love it.  Forest Hills was our second choice.

Yes, there is lots to do in GR.  ArtPrize just ended, which is a 3-week long art contest.  You can walk around the city (inside buildings and outside) to view all of the different entries.  The museums are good, and there are lots of restaurants.  We are getting an outlet mall just south of town in Fall of 2015!  And, a trip the beach (shark free and unsalted!) in the summer is much easier to plan when the lake isn't too far away.

As a note, I would consider the Grand Rapids area a MCOL.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't live in Grand Rapids, but live in Michigan. Growing up we used to vacation there. It is a cool place to be. Michigan in general can be tough in the winter if you aren't used to it. But it's not bad. You just keep an eye on the forecast for larger snow storms and hit up the grocery stores a few days before so you don't have to drive anywhere that you absolutely have to for the day of the storm. Not bad at all. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"