High-Risk Pregnancy

Newly pregnant new diagnosis with type one

Hi ladies, I've written a couple times here but wanted to reach out to other moms that have diabetes. I am 36 and now 11 weeks pregnant 5 foot 10 and 185 pounds . I got my diagnosis with diabetes at five weeks pregnant due to extreme thirst during my first ultrasound. There is no history of type one and my family although my mom has type two and is obese. I can admit that I have let a pretty sedentary desk job for the last couple years. And also am a lover of carbs candies breads pastries you name it all those things I can't have anymore I loved and indulged in. Needless to say this is been a very emotional and stressful month for me. Getting the newly diagnosed disease, and having my first baby at the same time has left me very frightened. Although my doctors are watching me like a hawk and my Bloodsugars are much lower now averaging about 115 with a fasting averaging about 80.I am still terrified about having diabetes, it has for sure taken away from my happiness about being a first-time mom. Internet research is of course scary at times and doesn't always bring much optimism to me. I haven't been able to find a support network of people that go on to live normal full lives with type one diabetes and have families. Sadly I am stuck in the gloom and doom and what if I don't survive this, and what if I'm not around to take care of my baby. I am just really scared, and while I'm scared for the baby, I'm also so scared for myself. So I'm reaching out to other type one moms if you could tell me if you're living a good life? And if there's hope

Re: Newly pregnant new diagnosis with type one

• There is most definitely hope. I have 2 beautiful healthy daughters and a son on the way! Diabetes just becomes a part of who you are and a routine. Over time you won't even think about it. Once your control is in order and you get more comfortable, you can most certainly have carbs. I've learned my carb ratios and how my body reacts and eat PLENTY of carbs daily.

I have taught my 7 year old how to call for help in an emergency but have never had one in 17 years of being a Type 1. My kids know to stay away from my low foods and that's probably the most they know of my diabetes...that I get special juice and granola bars. :) I'm so sorry you were diagnosed with this as it is definitely not ideal but completely manageable and is in no way a death sentence. My Uncle was diagnosed in his 20's and is now in his 70's and doing well. If you aren't currently on one, consider getting and insulin pump and CGM. They will change your life! It's overwhelming, especially with a first pregnancy on top of it! But you still have a bright future and many years to be a mother. Don't fret, it will all calm down as you get used to this and you'll see a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Thanks buggy, it does feel nice to know that there are other people out there it makes me feel more normal a feeling that I haven't had an almost 2 months. I suppose it's good that the doctors are watching me so much but sometimes feeling "unique" makes my anxiety spike like I'm some rare patient that has never been seen before "a diabetic t1 Who is pregnant". I was five weeks before they were able to identify that I had diabetes and was hospitalized for having such high blood sugars. So of course my fear is that damage was done to the baby in the weeks building up to the five-week Mark . I just had the NIPT (Harmony )test done and of course I'm nervous about the results of that, but I'm also nervous about any damage that may have been done in the weeks prior to my diagnosis. So basically I'm just one big ball of nerves
  • Loading the player...
  • Big hugs!  Pregnancy and diabetes are scary enough on their own, throwing both at you at the same time is definately not fun. 

I was diagnosed at 7 with type 1 (I have hashimoto's as well) and have been managing it for 22 years. I did manual injections for about 7 years before moving to an insulin pump with a built in CGM.  I won't lie, I've had my ups and downs with my control but I can honestly say that it hasn't been a terrible ride.  It does take time an attention but by no means should diabetes stop you from living a normal life.  This is my first pregnancy and even for someone who has had the disease for so long it means lots of worries about how it will impact me and baby.

I wasn't in good control coming in to this pregnancy.  We had a bc failure and my a1c was the highest it's been in my life at the start of this.  I buckled down right away though and everything is looking really good with LO (I'm 26 weeks along at this point).  Yes having things out of control early on raises risks of problems but the faster things get under control the better.  My endo was very adament in her statement of yes there is a 20% chance of something being wrong, but that really means there is an 80% that everything is okay.  

As stressful as things are right now it sounds like your doctors are doing the right thing keeping a close eye on you.  Remember to be kind to yourself.  Learning to manage diabetes takes time and has it's ups and downs. Random highs and lows, so longs a treated right away aren't going to cause lasting damage.  Try and take things one day at time.  If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me.  I had a lot of the same fears for the early part of my pregnancy too.

• I was diagnosed 9 years ago as type 1. There's no family history with me either. I also have thyroid issues and take meds for that.

I have a healthy 2 year old and am 25w with baby #2. It's a huge adjustment but one that is definitely doable. Some things take a bit more planning and thinking ahead but there's nothing you can't do.

You will be monitored like a hawk through the pregnancy. And the dr/nurses are available to help and adjust dosages or answer any concerns you may have.

And some times dr google isn't so helpful.

Feel free to pm me with any questions. Xoxo
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wow six babies that's impressive, you really have been through this before. What trimesters were the hardest for you? When did your insulin needs go up?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mermomo5 said:
    Wow six babies that's impressive, you really have been through this before. What trimesters were the hardest for you? When did your insulin needs go up?
    Generally first trimester I ran low, it wasn't fun. I got it all under control in the second trimester and then in the 3rd I had to up my insulin to epic proportions. The hardest was the 3rd trimester by far. My last 4 pregnancy's I've been using the insulin pump and it has helped a lot.
    Agree 1000%!!!!  OP, I was expecting my pregnancy to be a nightmare.  It was not easy, but absolutely manageable.  Just takes a lot of work and effort, but the baby in the end is so worth it!

<3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"